Karlamilyi National Park, formerly Rudall River NP

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 28, 2017 at 23:35
ThreadID: 135664 Views:3430 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
We are planning a trip into Karlamilyi in May 2018, would welcome comments from campers who have been there, on road conditions, campsites, etc.
Info from Newman Info Centre suggests Satellite phone necessary, and not travelling alone. We will be travelling in a Toyota Hilux with recovery gear, Max Trax, etc. Your thoughts please?
D&P
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Friday, Sep 29, 2017 at 06:03

Friday, Sep 29, 2017 at 06:03
Great place to visit D & P.

Have you checked out the Trek Note? https://www.exploroz.com/treks/rudall-river

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 614034

Reply By: rocco2010 - Friday, Sep 29, 2017 at 10:19

Friday, Sep 29, 2017 at 10:19
As Phil B says, great country.

Not especially rugged. The north-south road is sandy in places and the tracks to the various pools can be slow going.

The issue for solo travellers would be the remoteness. I was there in a group in late April a few years ago and we saw no-one else in four or five days. There would most likely be more people around later in the travelling season but you wouldn't want to rely on that if you run into strife.

We heard a third hand report that someone had been stuck in sand with a camper trailer just north of White Gum Bore near the southern boundary a week or so before and had needed help.

We reckoned that no-one had been at Desert Queen Baths since the previous year. No tyre tracks or fresh fire signs.

Camped under a zillion stars at Desert Queen Baths listening to two or three dingoes calling each other from up in the gorge is probably my favourite travelling memory.

Enjoy it.

Cheers.

AnswerID: 614041

Reply By: colanjen - Friday, Sep 29, 2017 at 14:27

Friday, Sep 29, 2017 at 14:27
I did it by myself a month ago, do not rely on anyone else to get you out if things go pear shape, as they might not be there.

Tyre pressures and the normal drive to conditions will get you in and out but asking about track conditions now for next year is totally pointless as the next wet season will do it's best to bugger up the tracks even further and they are not maintained.
I had no probs but expect some scratches as the tracks in places are narrow. Do your research on what you want to see and then research some more.

There are no sign posts to anywhere or anything so if you don't have prior knowledge of where things or places are, you could miss the best things.
I'm currently working on a trip report which I will post on 4x4 earth. There are plenty of other reports out there, if you google and search you will find them.

Reading them and comparing them to my pre trip notes I know some of them missed some great stuff.

Regards Col.
AnswerID: 614050

Reply By: Mick O - Friday, Sep 29, 2017 at 21:25

Friday, Sep 29, 2017 at 21:25
There is heaps of info on the site regarding Karlamilyi (Rudall River).

Just search blogs and forum. Road conditions don't change much dependant on weather so prepare for rough and sandy conditions. If towing, watch your trailer tyres on the track into Desert Queen's Baths in particular.

For camping at Tjarra Pool and DQB, make sure you pick up some firewood before you head in or on the way. There is not much there.

I hope to be out that was again next year myself. Enjoy.

Cheers

Mick

Rudall access blog

Rudall info and video clips.

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 614062

Reply By: D & P U - Saturday, Sep 30, 2017 at 00:02

Saturday, Sep 30, 2017 at 00:02
Hi, thanks guys for your responses, I have some links now for more research.
AnswerID: 614068

Sponsored Links