Camper trailers up the Wylie Scarp near Eyre Bird Observatory

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 04, 2017 at 18:17
ThreadID: 135698 Views:3367 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Working on our itinerary for the journey home from the Centenary of the Trans Railway near Ooldea in a couple of weeks, I note there is a back track we thought we might take, in from Madura along the bottom of the scarp, recommended both in the place notes here for the Eyre Bird Observatory and in Ron & Viv Moon's excellent book on the Nullarbor. It goes past various ruins and other points of interest.

However the website for the Eyre Bird Observatory here instructs visitors to leave trailers at the top of the scarp. Has anyone any experience with this and can advise me as to whether I will be able to get my camper up the scarp without destroying the track?

Grateful any advice
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Oct 04, 2017 at 20:44

Wednesday, Oct 04, 2017 at 20:44
Hello Paul

Was there a few years ago (without a trailer) - don't recall going up or down the "scarp" so it can’t be that bad...I am guessing it is more to do with the sandy, wooped out nature of the track on the flats from there on (could be wrong).

By the looks from your EO picture you have a relatively small trailer so I will give you the thumbs up in any event (also based on the fact I think, from what I can gather, you know what you are doing).

I am guessing the recommendation to leave trailers behind is a generic one based on the fact that a lot of people who turn up don’t know how to deal with a bit of loose sand, especially with a trailer.

By the way – it isn’t the Wylie Scarp - that is further west (around Bilbunya Dunes/Israelite Bay). It’s actually an eastern extension of the Baxter Cliffs…but not sure it has that name after it leaves the coast.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 614155

Reply By: colanjen - Wednesday, Oct 04, 2017 at 20:49

Wednesday, Oct 04, 2017 at 20:49
I was there a few weeks back, going up the scarp want be the problem it's the 10 ks from there to the observatory which will be the difficult part. The track has suffered extreme damage through past storms and when I was there, there was a troopy that had trouble and on one stretch nearly tipping due to the angle of the track.
Side tracks have been cut so you can get in or out and it was a squeeze winding around the trees and I just had a BT50. They specifically say no trailers so I gather that's what they mean.

Col.
AnswerID: 614156

Reply By: PhilD - Wednesday, Oct 04, 2017 at 20:55

Wednesday, Oct 04, 2017 at 20:55
Paul, from memory the jump up is south of Caiguna where the track goes back onto the beach to Bilbunya Dunes. I have been as far as Baxter Cliffs, but not through to Madura. We towed a Kimberley Kamper from Israelite Bay to the jump up, dropped the trailer and went along the beach to the dunes, and then to the cliffs. The going is very slow to the cliffs and I expect from Madura will be the same. The conveyor belt on the jump up meant we could tow up slowly and easily, but that was a few years ago, and I don't know what condition the belt is in currently. The beach to the Dunes was very soft and hard going when we did it, but the dunes are spectacular. The Eyre Bird Observatory is east of the jump up to the top of the escarpment, I believe.
AnswerID: 614157

Reply By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Wednesday, Oct 04, 2017 at 21:40

Wednesday, Oct 04, 2017 at 21:40
Thanks guys. I suspect I can simply leave the camper near the junction of the Madura track and the Cocklebiddy track and go off down to the bird obs and collect it again on the way out.

Thanks to all of you for your help, and to you Greg, for your very kind words. I'm mostly just muddling through but I'm pleased someone thinks I know what I'm doing!
AnswerID: 614158

Reply By: Member - Leigh (Vic) - Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 11:45

Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 11:45
Was there recently. Track from Madura to the junction down to Eyre Bird Observatory is good and has had a lot of trees trimmed to make it more passable. Track surface is very good and plenty of wood around too!! . Suggest you consider camping near the old abandoned homestead before the junction and then do the run into Eyre Bird Observatory. If you have time there is a great beach run to Twilight Cove. You will have no difficulty in going up the escarpment in low 4wd....slow and steady, good tractable surface...low tyre pressures etc. Enjoy, a great little side trip for sure. Cheers
AnswerID: 614163

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 14:31

Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 14:31
Thanks. Exactly what I needed to hear. The bush looks pretty thick close to the bottom of the scarp where the tracks meet, so the advice to camp at the ruins makes sense.
FollowupID: 884735

Sponsored Links