Build Model and Compliance Dates for new cars ?

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 11:44
ThreadID: 135699 Views:3031 Replies:6 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Well finally after buying 3 new RAV4s while Toyota kept making them bigger and slower we gave up on Toyota and just got a new around town car.

Its a Suzuki Vitara-S turbo petrol AWD drive with lockable axle and other cute 4wd feaures including flat torque curve and 0-100kmh time in 8 secs bracket.

Well thats ok - but as we signed the contract my wife reminded me to make sure its this years car, not a last year model thats been sitting in a warehouse for months.

The salesmen heard our concerns and wrote down "MY17" on the contract !

However I quickly got suspicous.

MY17 does not nessaarily mean its a 2017 car, rather it means its has the features of a 2017 model.

Indeed I opened up the current (Sept) Sun/herald car guide and sure enough MY18 cars are already available, so if your looking to get a new car check this out !

After that I began to deal with the car supplier only via email and asked again for confirmation that it was built in 2017.

The reply I got was "I asked my stock controller for a 2017 model" , to highly suspicous me this was spin for not actually saying when it was built.

I was also told it would be 2017 compliance plated.

Well to cut a long story short the new car took longer than expected to arrive but my fears were allayed as it was actually built in march this year.

I can only wonder what the build date might have been if we had not been on top of the issue !

So this might not be quite correct but my definitions of the 3 terms are below - please let us know if I have it wrong !

MY17 - a car which includes features of current model for sale regardless of when it was made.

Build date - Date when car was actualy made as indicated (on my Nissan patrol) with a stamped metal plate on body.

Compliance plate - Date of laws and rules the car conformed to and also attached to car body.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 12:26

Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 12:26
LOL correct Robin.

The date the dealer highlights when when you buy a car is the Compliance date.

The date the dealer highlights when you trade in a car is the Manufacturing date.

The screw you at both ends.

I must admit I'm a bit surprised you got something with a space saver spare though Robin, especially given you were looking for some 4wd features.

AnswerID: 614164

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 13:35

Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 13:35
Yeah , can't get all the features you want these days Tony. They must profile customers and make models to cover better sellers.
I cringe at maybe having to replace the patrol with something that has leaf springs , so went looking at all the new coil sprung utes - but coils only come on upmarket mostly dual cabs , none on cab chassis models !

I was also against these push button start systems they have and wanted keys - but no options. As I thought its approx. $700 for another spare key but even worse the keys can no longer be done by aftermarket suppliers.

Actually I thought about space saver a lot and decided against it just for now, it was interesting to see how my 2 finalists for a car handled the matter.

In the RAV4 to get a normal wheel they fit a sort of inverted bowl panel that raises the cars otherwise flat floor.
The Suzy does it the other way ,so that with a full spare the boot floor remains flat and with space saver you get a nice tidy 100mm deep covered storage area.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 884734

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 14:36

Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 14:36
Robin, Don't stress about a Push button start / keyless entry. As I am sure you recall, I have had a 200 with that for over 9 years now. At first I had concerns like yours. They were totally unfounded. They really are so much better than a key once you get used to it.

-For starters ( LOL) you just leave the key in you pocket / handbag. So you have 2 free hands when entering and leaving.
-You have a lot less chance of misplacing your key because it never leaves your pocket.
-The battery is $5 and easy to replace CR 2032

Here is where it gets really good.
-You can take the key out of the FOB, which is purely mechanical. Put it in your swimmers and leave the FOB locked inside the car. I go swimming in the sea like that. You can't do that with a normal remote key.
-If the battery goes flat, you can still start the car by holding the FOB against the start button.
-You can still get a mechanical key cut and hide it under the vehicle somewhere. You can also hide the spare inside the vehicle with the battery removed.

While Toyota want to rip you off, for the 200 you can now get replacement FOB's for around $120 and programming for about $80. Not brilliant but similar to any other remote key.

Robin, I would never buy a car without keyless entry ever again, it is so much better.
FollowupID: 884736

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 14:40

Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 14:40
Oh one other really handy feature. I am not sure if this is all FOBs or a Toyota / 200 thing. The range is about 200m, 300m or more if I hold the remote to my head.

Great on a hot day. The remote can also wind the windows up or down. On a hot day I unlock the car and wind the windows down from a few hundred meters away. It is tons cooler by the time I get up to it. NIce.
FollowupID: 884737

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 14:58

Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 14:58
Ok Tony , you make some good arguments and I will be open minded , however you have to understand that I do not have a handbag !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 884738

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 15:12

Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 15:12
You have to make sure you are 100% inclusive these days. I'd hate to discriminate if you have a manbag.

:-)
FollowupID: 884739

Follow Up By: nickb - Monday, Oct 09, 2017 at 02:33

Monday, Oct 09, 2017 at 02:33
Hi Boobook, not sure if your comment was toungue in cheek but we recently traded a 11/06 built and 02/07 complianced car, they took it as an 07 model. Maybe the shoddy dealers still do it haha!!!
FollowupID: 884811

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Monday, Oct 09, 2017 at 19:54

Monday, Oct 09, 2017 at 19:54
We recently bought a current model (VF) Commodore for the road trips (7.5l/100km) and it has the delightful function whereby you can start the motor from 50 or 100m away such that the aircon has cooled it down by the time you get to it.

BONUS!!!
FollowupID: 884821

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Oct 11, 2017 at 08:42

Wednesday, Oct 11, 2017 at 08:42
I wonder how the police will view that, as some are tough on turbo timers!
I have had two friends taken to task over them, one cautioned & one booked.

FollowupID: 884850

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Oct 11, 2017 at 10:09

Wednesday, Oct 11, 2017 at 10:09
Yes I wondered that. I know the 200 has this overseas and originally planned to have it here. I saw the original feature list that included it. They dropped it from the feature list and told me that it isn't legal here. That was in 2007 though.
FollowupID: 884852

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Wednesday, Oct 11, 2017 at 10:47

Wednesday, Oct 11, 2017 at 10:47
With the Commodore, the doors remain locked. The only thing that changes is the engine starts and the air conditioning cools the car, if you left it on.

Ours' has automatic transmission so presumably it won't start if it''s not in Park and you can't drive it away as the steering remains locked until you unlock the doors with the remote and put the key in the ignition. Actually I think you might have to stop the engine and re-start with the key as per normal to drive away - you've got me thinking now.

I have no idea what the arrangement is if you have a manual gearbox, but would think it would need to be in neutral with the park brake applied.

But in the automatic configuration certainly, I can't see why the police would have a problem
FollowupID: 884854

Reply By: pop2jocem - Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 16:00

Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 16:00
Robin,

What really surprises me is that you would select a town car that lacks decent acceleration.

I mean 8 seconds to go from zero to a hundred. How on Earth are you gonna hold your head up at the next intersection traffic light drag race with a car that is sooooooo sloooooowwwww?

LOL

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 614166

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 18:36

Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 18:36
Now Pop this is mainly the wifes car - but the real problem is not being dragged off by a stranger , imagine how bad it will look if I am dragged off by my wife - shes been waiting years to have a car that's at last faster than my 4800 patrol!
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 884747

Reply By: RMD - Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 19:52

Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 19:52
New model RAV4's are faster than previous models. You can't compare to a turbo Suzi.
AnswerID: 614175

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Friday, Oct 06, 2017 at 07:50

Friday, Oct 06, 2017 at 07:50
I wish RMD , a few years ago they had high powered V6 options but they killed them around 2012.

"With 201kW and 333Nm, the RAV4 V6 (why not ‘RAV6’?) has rewritten the power curve of the compact SUV segment in one fell swoop. "
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 884762

Reply By: Athol W1 - Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 22:26

Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 22:26
Robin

Your assumption as to MY is correct, and also the Build Date, however the Compliance Plate Date is the date at which the vehicle WAS FIRST IN A CONDITION WHEREBY IT COULD BE REGISTERED IN AUSTRALIA.

I emphasised this as it was common practice for manufacturers to build their vehicles, generally overseas, and fail to fit the external mirrors prior to shipment. These mirrors were then fitted upon the importer receiving the order from the dealer and hence the Compliance Plate was Dated and fitted reflecting this now in a condition whereby it could be registered in Australia. Back in the late 80's and early 90's it was not uncommon to see more than 12 months difference in the 2 dates.

Regards
Athol
AnswerID: 614181

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Friday, Oct 06, 2017 at 07:39

Friday, Oct 06, 2017 at 07:39
Thanks Athol , that explains why the new car was built in march and compliant only in September.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 884761

Reply By: The Bantam - Friday, Oct 06, 2017 at 09:40

Friday, Oct 06, 2017 at 09:40
If yiuy think its bad when buying a car .... ask similar questions when you are buying an outboard motor.

cheers
AnswerID: 614193

Reply By: Capt. Wrongway - Sunday, Oct 08, 2017 at 08:10

Sunday, Oct 08, 2017 at 08:10
Recently I purchased a used Rav4 for my wife & I to use as a daily drive as I didn't want to rack up klms on the newer Y61 Patrol or lug around the suburbs in. Checked out all the dealerships and kept getting pressured by salesman to buy the new shape, new model Rav4 with the smaller motor.
I don't like this shape or the under powered motor but they kept trying to flog them to me. They were willing to add many extras if I purchased one. I stood my ground a persisted in telling them that I want a 2012 model with the 2.5lt motor. Too old they say. Rubbish I say. Eventually they admitted that they didn't get many 2012 2.5lt motors traded in. Obviously this only confirmed my theory that they are a popular and sort after model.
Anyway ..... after weeks of trying I ended up getting a private sale, one owner, 2012 2.5lt Rav4 with only 19,000klms for $18,500. Very happy with it.
AnswerID: 614233

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, Oct 08, 2017 at 08:35

Sunday, Oct 08, 2017 at 08:35
Hmm what a shock.

A Dealer wants to sell you what he has in stock, not something he doesn't have to sell you.

Who would have thought?
FollowupID: 884795

Sponsored Links