Abercrombie Rd and Bonang Rd

Submitted: Monday, Oct 16, 2017 at 16:27
ThreadID: 135758 Views:2486 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
I'm after a bit of local knowledge if possible. The two roads in question - Abercrombie Rd south from Oberon towards Goulburn and Bonang Rd north from Orbost towards Bombala both seem to have small sections of dirt in them. Question is - how suitable are these roads for travel with a van? We have a SWB Prado towing a 12ft off-road van (1900 wide). The road surface and hills don't worry me - it's more the width of the road etc. along these unsealed sections.

Any advice appreciated.

cheers
Suitcase
Prado SX and a little van

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Oct 16, 2017 at 18:05

Monday, Oct 16, 2017 at 18:05
"Abercrombie Rd south from Oberon towards Goulburn"

It's a while since I have travelled both of the roads you are enquiring about. I don't remember much gravel along this road. I believe there is none now. It's a favoured route to tow vans between Canberra and Lithgow and the Blue Mountains.

"Bonang Rd north from Orbost towards Delegate"

Again it is a good road but a little narrow for a few kilometres. The road up to the McKillops bridge turnoff is a full 2 lanes wide. Take the narrow sections around Bonang cautiously so you and the horse trucks can dodge each other. Delegate to Bombala
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 614371

Reply By: Michael H9 - Monday, Oct 16, 2017 at 18:18

Monday, Oct 16, 2017 at 18:18
The road from Oberon to Goulburn has been sealed for a long time. Nice overnight at either Black Springs or at the river.
AnswerID: 614372

Reply By: Member - RUK42 (QLD) - Monday, Oct 16, 2017 at 21:07

Monday, Oct 16, 2017 at 21:07
Thanks guys
I thought some of Google's imagery was a bit dated. Thanks for the update.
KO
Suitcase
Prado SX and a little van

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 614381

Reply By: Member - Donnyj - Thursday, Nov 09, 2017 at 20:29

Thursday, Nov 09, 2017 at 20:29
I'm coming in a bit late here, but for what it is worth. I used to live near Delegate and drove the Delegate to Orbost road countless times over the decades, including with semi trailers. It is a good road. Still gravel between Bonang and the settlement of Goongerah. There are a couple of spots between Goongerah and Orbost which are a little narrow, but semi trailers use this road all the time. No worries with a van.
AnswerID: 614870

Sponsored Links