HF radio and Email

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 10:27
ThreadID: 13576 Views:1821 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I read in the latest Aus. Geographic about being able to email on a HF radio and its free, anyone know how this works.
Thanks Mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Banjo - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 11:16

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 11:16
Go to Barrett the HF Manufacturer- Perth, WA....quite a bit of guff on email and faxing there.....might cost a fair whack though :o)
AnswerID: 62207

Reply By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 12:00

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 12:00
Don't know anything about the free part but this is how it works with reids radio data.

HF EMAIL
AnswerID: 62211

Reply By: Member - Alex W (WA) - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 23:52

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 23:52
Mark,

Basically you're using your HF radio as a modem. Its not real fast - 9600 baud if I recall which is SLOW by comparison to what most of us are used to now. I think the modems are about the $4K mark and whilst shifting the data via HF is free, getting onto a website costs quite a bit; unless of course, you have a HF radio base station as well as the one in your vehicle...

I think there's also an issue of licencing which is going to add to the setup costs too.

You might want to have a look at the emerging CDMA card modems. I know Telstra has one on offer. Check out their website. Its obviously not going to have the coverage of HF but I think you can buy bulk hours at a very reasonable rate. Its also quite a lot faster than HF.

I've got a mate who's right up on the technology. Send me an email if you'd like more information...
AnswerID: 62737

Sponsored Links