Genuine Mitsubishi canopy problems

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 26, 2017 at 11:09
ThreadID: 135797 Views:5740 Replies:11 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
Has anyone got a genuine Mitsubishi canopy fitted to a triton latest model and had problems with sucking in dust.
Had the previous model Triton fitted with an Ironman canopy and had no problems, however this one on the new model is terrible in letting in dust.

Richard
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - mechpete - Thursday, Oct 26, 2017 at 14:00

Thursday, Oct 26, 2017 at 14:00
I don,t think you will find anyone that will say
their canopy will be dust entry free
cheers mechpete
AnswerID: 614599

Follow Up By: 410 - Thursday, Oct 26, 2017 at 14:04

Thursday, Oct 26, 2017 at 14:04
Yes, aware of that. Not sure if is the canopy or tail gate, but it is terrible compared to my last one.
FollowupID: 885242

Reply By: Member - mechpete - Thursday, Oct 26, 2017 at 15:20

Thursday, Oct 26, 2017 at 15:20
Think you will find that most utes these days don.t have a weather strip on tailgate because they are a commercial vehicle
Mechpete
AnswerID: 614600

Reply By: Notso - Thursday, Oct 26, 2017 at 16:52

Thursday, Oct 26, 2017 at 16:52
Theres a mob called Browns Rubber Products in South Aus that produces dust sealing kits for most twin cab tailgates.
AnswerID: 614602

Reply By: Bob R4 - Thursday, Oct 26, 2017 at 18:02

Thursday, Oct 26, 2017 at 18:02
This mob has seals, but obviously live in a parallel universe where Tritons are of another planet.
https://www.browndavis.com.au/tail-gate-seals/
AnswerID: 614605

Reply By: Dean K3 - Thursday, Oct 26, 2017 at 18:26

Thursday, Oct 26, 2017 at 18:26
Doubt seals will solve issue - when anything is closed off from environment a pressure difference occurs with it becoming negative pressure.

Only way to maybe prevent is it provide positive pressure by installing a air ram and ducting just behind the cab allowing a ram of air inside the canopy.

Bloke I know had a bt50 and suffered same problem with a solid ute lid used bit of 100mm storm water pipe drilled hole into liner just behind cab a little ram head all colour coded to OEM paint work problem solved for him
AnswerID: 614606

Reply By: b1b - Thursday, Oct 26, 2017 at 21:29

Thursday, Oct 26, 2017 at 21:29
I wonder if a air flap as fitted onto a lot of twin cabs canopy would do the job ? Admitting that the canopy is level (ish) with the cabin and the flap gets a full blast of air and pressurises the back area/canopy, the flat lid with an air flap may not be as effective as it would be sheltered by the cabin. My BT50 is a shocker with the flat lid for sucking in dust and as mentioned before, no proper rubber seals.
b1b
AnswerID: 614608

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Thursday, Oct 26, 2017 at 22:59

Thursday, Oct 26, 2017 at 22:59
I got an ARB canopy early on in my Ranger ownership, had the rear mounted cabin pressuriser vent fitted.
It is brilliant.
Maybe one cm inside the jamb has dust, then nothing past that inside.
Think they are about $105 supply only, probably has a template for install.
You need a little flat area on the back centre for it, and some canopies don't have this, instead they may have ribs right to the back, so not able to fit in that scenario.
AnswerID: 614610

Reply By: Member - Allan L2 - Friday, Oct 27, 2017 at 07:20

Friday, Oct 27, 2017 at 07:20
I had an ARB canopy on my previous (2011) Colorado & installed an ARB air vent in the centre rear. Was brilliant, only very small amount of dust compared to identical vehicle without one. I now have a D Max which has a slightly larger canopy & have done the same with good results. I found it easy to install, comes with template, you require a jigsaw & the correct size hole saw, can't remember the size off hand.
Just remember, "measure twice & drill once". Maybe measure 3 or 4 times & check clearances if you have roof bars or rack or rack.
I mounted mine at the rear as its easier to open & close than if it were mounted at the front of the canopy particularly if it is loaded.
Cheers
AnswerID: 614613

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Friday, Oct 27, 2017 at 08:46

Friday, Oct 27, 2017 at 08:46
They are brilliant Allan, if there is that little flat spot at the rear centre to mount it.
As mentioned above, if ribs go right through like some canopies have, you can't fit it (well, maybe you could if good / neat with a silicone gun !!).

I let ARB fit it, as they were sitting the canopy and tub liner, but as you say, with great care, it'd be easy enough for an handyperson with some basic tools.

I've had a couple of threads where people say fit them up front, they say if at the back they will not work as good, but you are merely pressurising the back canopy / tub area, to force air out the rear tub gaps (considerable gaps), and it works excellently.

I feel if mounted up front of a canopy, you may well be still pressurising the back, but if passing or overtaking vehicles on dusty roads, the (minimal amount of) dust can travel through the vehicle then, over gear . . . instead of straight down and out the gaps like it's designed.

I have mine open around town or country, only close it if it really rains hard, and of course then you don't need it :)

For a mate, I looked at boat deck vents once.
His canopy had ridges right through to back so ARB vent was not suitable.
I recall there were a couple of designs that faced forward, and were designed not to allow water ingress, venting like a snorkel ram head.

I also thought about small dia (70mm ?) pvc poly pipe, with a fitting for the roof and a 90 degree bend outside you could turn back for when not required.
If set up well on a canopy, it could work pretty well too.

Cheers,
Les
FollowupID: 885252

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Oct 30, 2017 at 08:02

Monday, Oct 30, 2017 at 08:02
I also have an ARB Canopy and air vent.
I mounted the vent at the front of the canopy roof. It sits just in front of the cross bar of my roof rack and is accessible even if the rack is loaded.
Easy to open and close by opening the rear door of my dual cab and standing on the door sill, or on the running board.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 885298

Follow Up By: Member - Allan L2 - Monday, Oct 30, 2017 at 15:00

Monday, Oct 30, 2017 at 15:00
Hi Bill,
My air vent (ARB) needs to be opened from the inside thus the difficulty to open when carry goods in the tub.
Cheers,
FollowupID: 885305

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Oct 30, 2017 at 18:17

Monday, Oct 30, 2017 at 18:17
Allan,

Wow, didn't know there was different types.
Mine mounts on the outside surface and you just flip up the vent inlet chute when you choose to use it.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 885308

Reply By: gbc - Friday, Oct 27, 2017 at 11:24

Friday, Oct 27, 2017 at 11:24
If the front window of the canopy opens, just open it and the canopy will pressurise. Or as others have said get a top mount scupper. That you had any factory canopy for any period of time which was dust free is a minor miracle. The brown davis kits sit above floor level and catch on anything and everything and also create a dam so you can't sweep or hose out the tray. Not a silver bullet...
AnswerID: 614623

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Friday, Oct 27, 2017 at 12:36

Friday, Oct 27, 2017 at 12:36
But if a front window is open, then the dust in the air will go through over gear in the back . . .
Passing (as in an opposite direction of travel) of other vehicles is not usually a major problem for dust, if you slow and can use the wind to avoid most of it.

But if overtaking or stuck behind slow trucks / other vehicles, well it can be horrendust (lol, sorry, horrendous !).

If people think cracking a side window can help, well, it doesn't, often it makes it worse by creating a venturi effect actually sucking dust in through the back.
FollowupID: 885256

Follow Up By: gbc - Friday, Oct 27, 2017 at 13:03

Friday, Oct 27, 2017 at 13:03
Where do you reckon the air for the top mount vent comes from? China? The difference isn't anything like what you make it out to be, and both methods are 1000% better than no positive pressure at all.
FollowupID: 885258

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Friday, Oct 27, 2017 at 16:04

Friday, Oct 27, 2017 at 16:04
RIght oh, no need to be smart about your reply.
Very poor form.

When it comes in the vent at the back of the canopy, it pressurises and slips straight out the tailgate gaps, NOT through the tub from the front.
Why ARB installs them there.
FollowupID: 885262

Follow Up By: gbc - Friday, Oct 27, 2017 at 17:31

Friday, Oct 27, 2017 at 17:31
And flexiglass mounts them at the front. That is because it makes no freaking difference where the air comes from. Stop trying to correct people’s comments by speaking rubbish and perhaps people won’t have to make smart comments.
FollowupID: 885264

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Friday, Oct 27, 2017 at 18:14

Friday, Oct 27, 2017 at 18:14
Hmm, didn't know about the FG ones, so peace out.

In the short scheme of things, a drive up the Oodnadatta Tk might not cause any grief either way . . . after 6000km doing those roads and deserts with 3 or 4 cars in convoy ?
Who can say.
That's what mine does and no tailgate jamb rubbers needed.

I couldn't find any pics of the Flexiglass canopy or vent, so don't know what they look like, design, whether it's actually a vent that extracts air (the whirly things), or where they fit the vents they supply.

If you have one and want to post a pic, that'd be good.

FollowupID: 885266

Follow Up By: gbc - Friday, Oct 27, 2017 at 18:21

Friday, Oct 27, 2017 at 18:21
I can say. I did west Qld, corner country, strez, flinders and back up the darling run this year with that setup, all in convoy. If you get dust in your canopy from travelling in convoy you are doing it wrong.
FollowupID: 885267

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Friday, Oct 27, 2017 at 18:42

Friday, Oct 27, 2017 at 18:42
Indeed, convoy travel is easy without dust issues.
Sometimes you need to put a few km between vehicles if all the factors are against you, but them's the breaks.

Dust ingestion into the engine intake is probably the more important thing to be considering there, but it's nice to open the back and not have 1/4" of dust over everything !
Like my mate with hilux one trip, no pressure vent, no dust seal, fridge in the back too :/
FollowupID: 885268

Reply By: Top End Az - Friday, Oct 27, 2017 at 11:34

Friday, Oct 27, 2017 at 11:34
I've got an ARB canopy with vent mounted at the rear (simply because it's easier to access when the Dmax tub is full of camping gear compared to a frount mounting). It does the job of keeping the vast majority of the dust out; I have found though that some dust comes in through the vent on dirt roads from oncoming traffic that kick up dust but its minimal compared to not having the vent at all. Otherwise you can get rubber stripping from Clarke Rubber which you can use to seal up around the tailgate.
AnswerID: 614624

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Friday, Oct 27, 2017 at 12:39

Friday, Oct 27, 2017 at 12:39
Simple physics, even a small amount of extra rubber in the tailgate jamb will reduce jamb gap area, so positive pressure can then force more through the smaller gap.

I found wiht my ARB vent at centre rear, there is virtually nothing apart from a build up in the jamb itself
FollowupID: 885257

Follow Up By: Batt's - Friday, Oct 27, 2017 at 17:46

Friday, Oct 27, 2017 at 17:46
Just on the vent side of things you might be able to put some foam inside the vent to reduce dust coming in it and it will still pressurise the canopy. My set up is different as I have an alloy canopy I bought a rectangle washing sponge from coles cut it to shape it still lets in air which is drawn in via the solar exhaust fan the foam helps to trap a lot of dust.
FollowupID: 885265

Reply By: 410 - Tuesday, Oct 31, 2017 at 08:11

Tuesday, Oct 31, 2017 at 08:11
A big thank you for all the feed back. Have a great time and safe travels.

Cheers
Richard
AnswerID: 614666

Sponsored Links