Blog Review: Mysterious Hinchinbrook Island – A Jewel in the Coral Sea

My Blog Rating: My Rating 4/5

In company with two friends and out mid teenage sons we walked it the week after Qld Parks reopened it following Yasi, it was amazing to see the vegetation recovery and the damage those winds had done.
Certainly not a difficult walk
Though difficult to compare some of Australia's iconic multi day walks, for eye popping natural beauty I think it has to be Australia's best, though I still favour the Larapinta Trail more for my own personal reasons as the most enjoyable.
Mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Friday, Oct 27, 2017 at 08:32

Friday, Oct 27, 2017 at 08:32
Hi Mark

Hinchinbrook Island's Thorsborne Trail certainly is a great walk that is accessible to most people of general fitness levels and I agree it is one of Australia's most scenic.

The damage caused by Yasi is still visible in parts, but it is great to hear the Dugongs are returning in greater numbers now the seagrass is recovering...

Cheers, Baz
AnswerID: 614614

Reply By: Theo D - Friday, Oct 27, 2017 at 22:36

Friday, Oct 27, 2017 at 22:36
Did you do the walk from north to south or south to north? I've walked it both ways and certainly prefer it from north to south. Definetely one of the best hikes you'll do in Oz... Zoe Falls and Zoe Bay are mindblowing.

Around 30 years ago, its been documented that the two best walks to do in Qld were the Thorsborne Trail and also the Goldfields Trail at the back of Babinda which I now help manage as well as some of the shorter walks at the back of Cairns e.g. Douglas and Smiths tracks. The Goldfields is an easy overnighter but has lost alot of appeal over time due to landslides onto the track, as well as Cyclone Larry which tore the place apart. It has recovered well but the amount of stinging tree which has grown through over time as well as guinea grass etc in some sections is hard to maintain
AnswerID: 614626

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Saturday, Oct 28, 2017 at 07:42

Saturday, Oct 28, 2017 at 07:42
North to South for me...

Cheers, Baz - The Landy
FollowupID: 885271

Reply By: The Explorer - Friday, Oct 27, 2017 at 22:57

Friday, Oct 27, 2017 at 22:57
"eye popping natural beauty" (no - not me)

Try the Western Arthurs - Tasmania.

Agree difficult to compare between areas. All great - just get out there and do it.

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 614627

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Saturday, Oct 28, 2017 at 07:59

Saturday, Oct 28, 2017 at 07:59
Yep done them all more than once.
What an awesome country we live in from Alpine to tropical & we can just jump in our 4wd or sling a backpack over our shoulders to see all of these incredible places.

I just want to know how you managed to place an order for weather like that in in the Western Arthurs Greg!
Nice photo.

Cheers
Stu
FollowupID: 885272

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, Oct 28, 2017 at 11:08

Saturday, Oct 28, 2017 at 11:08
Just lucky I guess - though we were stuck on High Moor for two days...

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 885274

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Saturday, Oct 28, 2017 at 12:37

Saturday, Oct 28, 2017 at 12:37
Ha Ha.
Now that's more like it! :-)

I love it how novices walk in summer in the Alpine areas with little clothing or a lousy tent & get a surprise when it snows in Summer.
Had to get 2 young blokes down off the Overland track some years back as they were very underprepared for cold weather when it hit mid summer.
Had to get them down to a lower sheltered valley out of the wind before they got Hyperthermia.
They didn't even have a map or compass!

Cheers
Stu
FollowupID: 885276

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Saturday, Oct 28, 2017 at 17:31

Saturday, Oct 28, 2017 at 17:31
No Greg I've not done West Arthurs or South Coast Track in Tassie.
Overland Track and Maria Island are my limits and as my age progresses, unlikely to do the West Arthurs either. Walls of Jerusalem are a maybe though.
Just something about being able to have a pleasurable swim on Thorsborne each day tips it as the best eye for popping beauty to me, but I still prefer the Larapinta which also has some awesome views.

Mark
FollowupID: 885278

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Sunday, Oct 29, 2017 at 11:38

Sunday, Oct 29, 2017 at 11:38
Stu and Greg

Just following on and picking up on your sentiments, which I agree with wholeheartedly.

We truly do live in the lucky country, where we have so much available to us just on our doorstep.

I regularly walk in the Sydney basin, and you can be just 15-20 kilometres from the CBD, and yet be a "million miles" away.

Cheers, Baz - The Landy
FollowupID: 885286

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Sunday, Oct 29, 2017 at 12:52

Sunday, Oct 29, 2017 at 12:52
G'day Baz,
Yep there are some nice walks around Sydney.
I like it when I get sent to work there & always sus out any close by walks to do after a days work when it's late or early in the year & stays light till later.

I know when I get sent to Tassie to work & take my backpack friends ask if I am actually working or going on holiday!

Cheers
Stu
FollowupID: 885287

Sponsored Links