Mazda bravo 2005 DX -thoughts mechcanical issues known etc

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 14, 2017 at 12:03
ThreadID: 135865 Views:2102 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Doing bit of digging for info, not for myself but another person I know. Person wants to purchase a newer vehicle, doesn't really use 4wd per say but maybe once or twice a year wishes to head bush.

Doesn't have several buckets of coins so has a budget to keep in mind.

I spotted a bravo 2005 recently at one of the saleyards with for age below average kilometers 151K goign for 12K.

I know it has the dickie seats behind so a squishy 4 seater but has the suicide doors for access to back of cab.

Any previous owners out there who can advise on its mechanical pitfalls reliability etc,

done bit of research but always seem to get the glowing reports never the not so good ones esp with issues engines or transmissions can have as they get a few kms under the belt.

Long shot if you can get a chassis number or engine number any websites that give you the service history or repairs under warranty somewhere ?

Thanks in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GREG T11 - Tuesday, Nov 14, 2017 at 21:58

Tuesday, Nov 14, 2017 at 21:58
Do not touch a V6, diesel had good rep back when I was looking 2014/15.
Had around the same Ks and things were starting to fail. on a V6 manual and parts were bloody expensive, Brake cylinder $ 200 per side. Correct PINK coolant about $150ish for 5 litres. Plastic water pump housing a prone to fail with age.
These are only a V6 issue apparently,
good luck with it.
AnswerID: 614965

Reply By: Member - Odog - Thursday, Nov 16, 2017 at 17:29

Thursday, Nov 16, 2017 at 17:29
Son in law had a diesel around that age, with a manual transmission, had about the 170k on it, had it for six months and the gearbox packed it in, think around the 4/5k mark to get fixed, sold it not long after, got a call 2 months later from the bloke who brought it, said the gearbox packed it in again.. not sure if it's a one off thing or not.. cheers Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 615002

Reply By: Hoyks - Thursday, Nov 16, 2017 at 19:11

Thursday, Nov 16, 2017 at 19:11
The gearbox is probably the weakest part. Towing in 5th is not recommended as it will lunch the bearings.
I had mine reconditioned for $1600, but I did the remove and install myself.

The WL-T 2.5L also had a tendency to blow cylinder heads but I haven't heard anything bad about the 3L.
AnswerID: 615009

Follow Up By: Dean K3 - Thursday, Nov 16, 2017 at 19:25

Thursday, Nov 16, 2017 at 19:25
This issue with gearboxes applies to every gearbox in my mind never tow in overdrive.

Reality is this isn't my call initial vehicle person wanted was a jeep wrangler 4 door, but then as a gardener will place tools fuel etc all within the vehicle -which to me for occupant safety is a big no no plus the general reliability sent shivers down my spine immediately

I'd rather give honest advice than have them suffer later on having spent money that honestly they can't afford -as it be 100% loan from bank
FollowupID: 885790

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Nov 16, 2017 at 21:00

Thursday, Nov 16, 2017 at 21:00
Mate has a Bravo, Dean, but don't recall the year.

He came across the Simpson with us back in July, as well as doing a W-E crossing of the Madigan. About the only drama he had was with the front lower shockie bushes. He had a fair bit of gear,fuel & water on board, and it handled the conditions well.

Don't think I'd like to do any real off road stuff with it though!

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 615015

Reply By: Member - P and JM - Monday, Nov 20, 2017 at 18:23

Monday, Nov 20, 2017 at 18:23
Hi Dean,

I am on owner of the same vehicle you are inquiring about. If you send me your contact email I will give you all the info you need.

Cheers P and JM
AnswerID: 615112

Reply By: nickb - Wednesday, Nov 22, 2017 at 17:01

Wednesday, Nov 22, 2017 at 17:01
I had the 2.6 petrol as a Work car for a few years. Did the head and gearbox started making done noises. Sold it about 170,000km.

A client had a diesel and had the same head issue. I would steer clear.
AnswerID: 615156

Reply By: Dean K3 - Wednesday, Nov 22, 2017 at 19:45

Wednesday, Nov 22, 2017 at 19:45
Thanks gents , think bloke wants a petrol simpler maintenance regime (per say)

So that makes me debate about either v6 hilux or trition as ones to look at now

both on face value seem to be good each other, bar a few bent chassis when over loaded for CSR etc

Get feeling he in no rush, and probably hang off for a year get few coins into bucket and then either get less coins from bank or get newer combining his coins and banks bucket
AnswerID: 615157

Sponsored Links