Rescue in Remote Kimberley

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 19, 2017 at 15:02
ThreadID: 135883 Views:3521 Replies:7 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
It has happened again! ......... ABC Link > Unprepared needing rescue.

Police said the case was a reminder of the importance of carrying emergency communication equipment, and people staying with their vehicle if they became lost or bogged.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: CSeaJay - Sunday, Nov 19, 2017 at 16:10

Sunday, Nov 19, 2017 at 16:10
But.. but they are not German tourists?!
AnswerID: 615083

Reply By: pop2jocem - Sunday, Nov 19, 2017 at 16:16

Sunday, Nov 19, 2017 at 16:16
If people born and raised in the area can get into a bit of strife, what chance any of us who don't have any bush survival skills? Regardless if they are German or any other overseas visitor or any of us who are used to the city life and the conveniences it provides.

Cheers
Pop

AnswerID: 615084

Reply By: qldcamper - Sunday, Nov 19, 2017 at 16:47

Sunday, Nov 19, 2017 at 16:47
Learn from it, if your in remote areas and there is a chance you may have to walk for miles, always take good quality thongs.
AnswerID: 615086

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Sunday, Nov 19, 2017 at 21:34

Sunday, Nov 19, 2017 at 21:34
I just take normal undies...
FollowupID: 885884

Reply By: mike39 - Sunday, Nov 19, 2017 at 17:41

Sunday, Nov 19, 2017 at 17:41
Last winter we stopped at the Warnum-Turkey Creek roadhouse for lunch.
Three cops were talking to a group who had emerged from a Troopy, my thinking being that seeing the Troopy had a flat tire and a well shattered windscreen some sort of vehicle defect may be under consideration.
But no, I waited a little while to observe any outcome which was a shake of hands, the cops got in their vehicle and headed east, the Troopy occupants into theirs and headed west.....bounce bounce on the flat tire.
Wonder if it was the same Troopy????
Mike
AnswerID: 615088

Follow Up By: Joe Fury - Monday, Nov 20, 2017 at 10:15

Monday, Nov 20, 2017 at 10:15
G'day mike39

I live in a part of inland Western Australia, where 'non Germans' live in great numbers, my neighbors are western desert community 'non Germans' who commute between town and their remote community in utterly un-road worthy vehicles, mostly two wheel drive sedans or people mover Toyota Terago's which are a front wheel drive box of a vehicle with lots of seats that can and do carry lots of people and stuff that these 'non Germans' seem to carry by the box full when full ~ but this stuff is useless when empty, so they just chuck the empty stuff out the windows, maybe a survival method because it would be fairly easy to follow the trail of empties back to town.

The local Cops are close friends of the 'non Germans' because they constantly visiting them or bringing them back to town/next door when things turn pear shaped on a journey between town and community.

In saying the 'cops are constantly visiting them' ~ it's because I am constantly inviting the Cops to come and visit them.

Sadly the western desert 'non Germans' that I am familiar with have lost their genuine connection and abilities to what is one of their catch cries, that they are at one with the land !

The 'non Germans' who needed rescuing in the Kimberley were driving a rather tired GQ Nissan Patrol, they decided to take a short cut between communities and came undone and so they need to be rescued as did the Cops.

At one with the Land ~ my ar$e.

Safe travels : Joe
FollowupID: 885898

Follow Up By: Dean K3 - Monday, Nov 20, 2017 at 11:14

Monday, Nov 20, 2017 at 11:14
Well said mike,

coudn't put it better myself, and although I live south having been in Kimberly Pilbara 2014 for few months know exactly what your referring to.

This kind of activity will continue to carry on, and searches will continue to occur, regardless of being a silly white fella or lost local fella (read between lines there)

Whos first person who gets called in as primary search controller and organization WAPOL and then SES.

These events occurred in apst wil in future, and only way they are known about mroe frequently is due to modern communications technology
FollowupID: 885903

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Monday, Nov 20, 2017 at 09:41

Monday, Nov 20, 2017 at 09:41
Quote.....
“Acting Senior Sergeant Jamie Forbes, who had to abandon his own police car after it became bogged during the search”

I thought the message was to stay with your vehicle??
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 615102

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Nov 20, 2017 at 09:47

Monday, Nov 20, 2017 at 09:47
Tony, it did say that he had to "abandon" his vehicle but he may well have remained at the vehicle site until summoned help arrived. I think a police officer in that region would know what he is doing.
It doesn't pay to take media reports too literally.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 885894

Follow Up By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Monday, Nov 20, 2017 at 09:52

Monday, Nov 20, 2017 at 09:52
Hi Allan,
Point taken....fair comment!

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 885895

Follow Up By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Monday, Nov 20, 2017 at 11:26

Monday, Nov 20, 2017 at 11:26
Allan,
Where not all a..seholes.....lol
Cheers
Tony

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 885905

Reply By: Idler Chris - Monday, Nov 20, 2017 at 11:33

Monday, Nov 20, 2017 at 11:33
If I had a dollar for every broken down abandoned vehicle on an outback road in WA, SA, and NT I would be driving a 700 hp Unimog with a very flash camper on the back instead of a D-Max and Gecko camper. Everyone of these breakdowns had the potential to be a humane tragedy, and may in fact have been one. As pointed out above the locals do not seem to care about the possibility of breakdowns so nothing will change and there are tragedies out there just waiting to happen. With us grey nomads out there now the risk maybe reducing, and I have helped out stranded locals on several occasions. There are many "private" aboriginal roads, they should seriously consider opening them up up to other travellers which should make them a bit safer for the locals.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 615105

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Nov 20, 2017 at 14:16

Monday, Nov 20, 2017 at 14:16
Yeah what a spin they give on the final sentence - the problem wouldn't have happened if the vehicle was 4WD-road worthy and they had sufficient spares, knew how to fix a flat tyre, and had emergency provisions of food and water on board. Sure take emergency comms, but be prepared to help yourself and don't rely on others.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 615108

Sponsored Links