Oziexplorer Android update 1.29

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 19, 2017 at 19:22
ThreadID: 135885 Views:3463 Replies:4 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
I would advise anyone who does this update to copy all their waypoints and tracks as a back up before doing the update. I did the update yesterday and all my waypoints disappeared. Tablet was ok , happened on the phone. Only difference I can see is the menu bar on the tablet is different. Cant see any changes on the phone, menu bar is still in the same spot.

I usually export all waypoints and tracks and copy them to a hard drive every 6 months or so in case a disaster like this is around the corner. When you have a couple of thousand waypoints of individual orchid species , years of work can go in a blink.

Cheers
Graeme.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Sunday, Nov 19, 2017 at 20:41

Sunday, Nov 19, 2017 at 20:41
Hello Graeme

Updating shouldn't delete any data files. Maybe just the settings changed so the files are not being found (e.g. data file paths reset) - so I am guessing it is another issue.

None the less - back up your data on a regular basis. If your phone/tablet dies or gets stolen - end of story, and given the hard yards you do it would be more than a bit sad.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 615089

Follow Up By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Sunday, Nov 19, 2017 at 22:06

Sunday, Nov 19, 2017 at 22:06
Hi Greg. Must admit there was a moment of panic, quickly checked the tab which i had updated first and it was ok. Would not have lost a lot as i back up when time permits but as you know finding new stuff on a daily basis and keeping up with back ups etc. Recon i can find any important things by memory in the bush, drives Deb mad as i get lost in the city.
Cheers Graeme
FollowupID: 885886

Reply By: Gramps - Sunday, Nov 19, 2017 at 20:47

Sunday, Nov 19, 2017 at 20:47
Updated to 1.29 sometime Aug/Sept while on the road in WA. No problems encountered and no loss of data.

Regards
AnswerID: 615090

Reply By: SCUBADOO - Sunday, Nov 19, 2017 at 20:52

Sunday, Nov 19, 2017 at 20:52
We have never lost a single byte while using OziExplorer!!! If you have actually lost any logging details ever, all I can say is in the words of Judge Rinder "stupid".
I update weekly. Don't you???
We have our entire track of travels both in Australia and here in New Zealand from 2002 and counting.
We backup often for obvious reasons and have never lost any records regardless of our Windows or Android versions.
AnswerID: 615091

Follow Up By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Sunday, Nov 19, 2017 at 22:11

Sunday, Nov 19, 2017 at 22:11
You are right of course, but as a friend recently said backup what you backup because if its a hard drive you use its not if but when it fails.
Cheers Graeme
FollowupID: 885887

Reply By: Idler Chris - Sunday, Nov 19, 2017 at 21:19

Sunday, Nov 19, 2017 at 21:19
Very puzzled by this post. The current version of OziExplorer is 3.95.6f
Please give more detail of what update 1.29 is.
Chris
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 615092

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Nov 19, 2017 at 21:49

Sunday, Nov 19, 2017 at 21:49
Ozi Android Version

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 885885

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Monday, Nov 20, 2017 at 10:16

Monday, Nov 20, 2017 at 10:16
Does everyone remember the debate around being able to edit your posts at a later date?
Well my post above now makes me look like an idiot because since my post, the title of this topic has been changed to include the word "Android"
Its just as well I don't care what other people think of me.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 885899

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Nov 20, 2017 at 11:15

Monday, Nov 20, 2017 at 11:15
Chris,

"A thick skin comes with wisdom"

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 885904

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Nov 20, 2017 at 11:54

Monday, Nov 20, 2017 at 11:54
You are forgiven Chris......

And yes the word Android was diffinatey added to the post later, as when I first read it, it was not there.

Gwen and Ivan say Hi.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 885906

Follow Up By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Monday, Nov 20, 2017 at 19:20

Monday, Nov 20, 2017 at 19:20
Hi Chris.
It was my post and I can assure you I did not edit it later or anytime. Greg answered your question re what is the 1.29 version. The post title I presume was edited after that. I would add that it makes me look like an idiot as well as anyone reading the post would presume I did it ,if in fact that is possible.

regards Graeme.
FollowupID: 885922

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Monday, Nov 20, 2017 at 19:39

Monday, Nov 20, 2017 at 19:39
Well the plot thickens. I know you can edit this body of a post but I am not sure about the title. Anyway it must have been one of the Moderators who I am sure were only trying to be helpful, which I suppose they were. I mentioned it because there were so many adamant that you should be able to edit your posts and that there were no downsides. Anyway Graeme, you and I may look like idiots but it probably made it a lot easier for hundreds of others to understand so I suppose its a small price to pay.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 885923

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Nov 20, 2017 at 19:39

Monday, Nov 20, 2017 at 19:39
Sorry gentlemen

I edited the title (cause I can) after answering the original question, so that it didn't create anymore confusion for those not familiar with the various versions of OziExplorer.

We (moderators) have been asked/requested in the past to modify (of our own accord) thread headings to correct spelling/wrong names so that the thread can be found more easily if someone, in the future, does a search - that was also my intent.

I didn't realise such an action in this case would create such bad vibes. Just trying to help. My apologies.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 885924

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Monday, Nov 20, 2017 at 20:18

Monday, Nov 20, 2017 at 20:18
Thanks Greg,

I thought that was the case. Its a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation. I will get over it and I hope Graeme can too.

Chris

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 885926

Follow Up By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Monday, Nov 20, 2017 at 21:00

Monday, Nov 20, 2017 at 21:00
Hi Greg.
Cheers mate .

Graeme.
FollowupID: 885928

Sponsored Links