Beware GU Patrol Owners

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 15:43
ThreadID: 13590 Views:1435 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
If you have a spare couple of hours and if you have driven over dirt roads it would be wise to remove the passenger side front plastic wheel arch trim as I found after removing mine that it was nearly half full of compacted bulldust which with our recent wet weather had turned it into a wet heavy clay that is resting against the steel wing panel and if kept wet over a long damp winter I'm sure would cause substantial rusting. Also with the heavy weight effect while driving over badly corrugated roads would probably cause the trim to tear off!
It was odd I thought that the passenger side was most effected. The driver side was OK.
There are only about 5 fasteners and bullet shaped pull tabs that hold the trim in place so it is easy to remove.
After 6 years my electric arial finally jammed up hence the need to get into the wing panel to disconnect the arial motor so the arial can stay up without the motor trying to wind it down.
Does any body know what a replacement electric arial assembly would cost?
Cheers P Guy.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 15:50

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 15:50
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the heads up about the wheel arch trim, good to know, just ordered the new gu so will keep an eye out for it.

In regards to the aerial, theres a miriad out there, some cheap, some expensive and there a little fiddly to install. If your an auto lecky or very very very very patient do it yourself.

If not, I'd suggest that you go to an auto lecky, advise him of your demise and I'm sure he will have some advice on the best way to go...If it was me, I'd take option 2!

Cheers,

Chris.
AnswerID: 62264

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 16:05

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 16:05
Thanks for the warning Peter. I bent mine driving under the car port, I can't find the invoice to get the price but I don't think it was cheap.
AnswerID: 62265

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie- Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 18:07

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 18:07
Bob,
I know what you mean, I did the same thing going under a branch. The new telescopic aerial was about $80- from memory.

However, I don't reckon that's the problem here.......the bloke's aerial motor has karked it I reckon; and that's a whole other ball game.

Cheers,

Roachie
FollowupID: 323622

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 00:03

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 00:03
Funny story...our previous 4WD was a Pajero. One of the side effects of installing a non-geniune CD player was that when the unit was on, the aerial was up, regardless of whether it was the player or the radio in use. Anyway, we went bush one weekend and realised the aerial was gunna get broken off unless we kept the stereo off. Once back home, we installed an override switch so we could still listen to the stereo but keep the aerial down out of harms way. Gave ourselves a pat on the back for being pro-active but what happens...the very next trip we forgot to flip the switch and broke the aerial off anyway.

BTW, we found a non-genuine aerial from someone like Repco was significantly cheaper than the real thing. Don't know if you can get non-genuine for GU's though.

:o) Melissa
FollowupID: 323689

Reply By: GUPatrol - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 16:13

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 16:13
Thanks Peter,
I bought mine new in 99 and the first muddy trip I found dirt was accumulating there...

I drilled the bottom of the plastic flare/mould with several 8mm holes, I did the same on the rear (forward area) and every time I wash it I squirt high pressure water through those holes I drilled and mud keeps getting rinsed out...

Same happens with sand...

William
AnswerID: 62269

Follow Up By: GUPatrol - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 16:30

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 16:30
Peter,

With regards to the aerial, Nissan and other after market places sell the repair kit which replaces the mast only (which is what wears out)....
It is only a matter of pulling the old one out and feeding the new one in, instructions come with it or are also found in the workshop manual...
No need to replace the whole aerial or even disconnect it.

I haven't had to replace it myself but I helped a friend do it after his got damaged by a tree.

William
FollowupID: 323604

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 16:57

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 16:57
Peter,
Same issue I bought some expanding foam from Bunnings this has filled the gap so no dirt gets in there in the first place. If I need access I just pull the foam out, make sure you put cling film in the cavity before you inject it that way the foam doesn't stick to everything. I had more issues with the back guards than the front ones.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 62276

Reply By: Member - Peter (York) - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 18:12

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 18:12
I was quoted $300 for a factoy Nissan arial , went for a spring base replacement about $50 as I have riped off a couple of arials
AnswerID: 62297

Follow Up By: Peter Guy - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 18:22

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 18:22
Thanks Peter I have fixed the arial so it stays up permantly and hopefully it should last a while. If and when it breaks I'll just put a spring one in.
The more electics you have the more that eventually goes wrong!!
The electric arial was goog as we go bush most weekends and the tracks have a lot of overhanging brush which will snap these thin light weight arials. So I will have to give a wider berth on the passenger side of the track in future!!!
FollowupID: 323627

Sponsored Links