Blog Review: Ooldea Joining of the Rails 100th Anniversary

My Blog Rating: My Rating 5/5

Hi Stephen,
Well done on a good report of the centenary.
Love those pics of John Eyre memorials.
Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Nov 23, 2017 at 23:03

Thursday, Nov 23, 2017 at 23:03
Hi Alan

Thanks for that and it was a fantastic event.

The West Coast is full of history and there are many places that you can spend days exploring.

Edward John Eyre was another great Australian Inland Explorer and the west coast has countless important places that he visited.

All the Best

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 615181

Reply By: Mick O - Friday, Nov 24, 2017 at 11:39

Friday, Nov 24, 2017 at 11:39
Another great report/blog Stephen. You and Fiona certainly know how to immerse yourselves in the areas you visit. Not much slips by you. A fantastic report and a great resource for anyone thinking of visiting this area.

I was particularly happy to see you following up on a bit of the history surrounding the explorer Richard Thelwell Maurice, a pioneer of South Australia and another of our ‘lesser known’ explorers and a particular favourite of mine.

Between 1896 and 1903 Maurice explored much of South Australia and the Northern Territory from his base at Fowlers Bay SA. In 1902, with Surveyor William Murray, Maurice crossed the continent from Fowlers Bay to Wyndham writing a remarkable anthropological and exploratory record. He discovered and named places that are still significant to many of we outback travellers today. Tallaringa Well on the Anne Beadell Hwy is one such location.

You mentioned and thanked Murray Collins of Ceduna in your blog. Murray’s brother, Neville Collins from Adelaide has researched the life, times and travels of Maurice and has recently (self) published a book on Maurice - “The Unknown Explorer”. It’s a great read and gives a great insight into the man, the times and the outback. It’s definitly one more for the reading list.

You've seen more of the Great Victoria Desert than most Stephen so you know that Maurice and his men must have had nerves of steel to head into a harsh and totally unknown environment.

There is some further background on Maurice here; http://www.samemory.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=218

And for anyone interested in purchasing Nevilles book, he can be contacted on his email;
nevillecollins@adelaide.on.net

Thanks for the effort you’ve put into this one Stephen. Happy travels,

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 615187

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Nov 24, 2017 at 19:56

Friday, Nov 24, 2017 at 19:56
Hi Mick

Thanks for that. I do have the book and I have had many phone calls with Neville about various West Coast history items. I am not sure if you know it or not, but Neville has produced a good number of books and I have them all.

His brother Murray is a walking encyclopaedia on the history of the west coast and what Murray does not know, is not worth knowing.

It was during one of our chats about the West Coast and Fowlers Bay that we learnt about the original Yalata Homestead and its relation to Maurice.

Over the years with our visits and stays at Fowlers Bay, we have driven past the old ruins countless times and never knew about the history of the place and that it was the real Yalata, and not the Aboriginal Community on the Eyre Highway.

Thanks for the reply.

Best Regards

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 886035

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Friday, Nov 24, 2017 at 12:11

Friday, Nov 24, 2017 at 12:11
Thanks for the heads-up Stephen.
We could not be there but your blog virtually put us there.

To make it easy for some others, here is a link to your blog.

Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 615188

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Nov 24, 2017 at 19:59

Friday, Nov 24, 2017 at 19:59
Hi Allan

It was a great time over there, even if it was hot and windy.

We also caught with many great friends that we had met on our travels through the far west coast and even had a good chat with Robin on the day.

Thanks for your reply and regards to Roz.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 886036

Reply By: Member - Scott & Sally - Monday, Nov 27, 2017 at 08:00

Monday, Nov 27, 2017 at 08:00
G'Day Stephen,
Great blog as per usual. Wanted to get out there for this but work commitments prevented us from attending.
Did the whole track years ago from Tarcoola to Kalgoorlie ( before ARTC got a bit snippy about it) and had a look at the old memorial and many other interesting historical places along the way. Back then the memorial was showing signs of it's age.
Who knows one day they might open it up again for responsible travellers.
Cheers Scott.
AnswerID: 615238

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Nov 27, 2017 at 14:23

Monday, Nov 27, 2017 at 14:23
Hi Scott

Yes the Trans Line is a great drive and we found once you get west of Rawlinna then is some very pretty country.

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog ang reply.

Regards

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 886108

Sponsored Links