Blog Comment: Ooldea Joining of the Rails 100th Anniversary

Hi Stephen
A great write-up in a well presented blog. I was looking forward to travelling to the event myself, but wasn't able to in the end; your blog goes someway to "taking me there".
Cheers, Baz
Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Nov 25, 2017 at 07:43

Saturday, Nov 25, 2017 at 07:43
Hi Baz

Thanks for taking the time to view my Blog and taking the time to reply.

To be very honest, the only time that I was quite concerned that we would not make it was when the Timing Belt light came on Friday morning when we were east of Kimba, and thank goodness it was a very good end to the warning light.

We love the west coast for the scenery and its history and intend spending a couple of weeks over there again next year, following through on more historical events of Darke the surveyor and the stockman Hamp that was murdered by Aboriginals and started "tit for tat " killings of both black and whites and finally events that colminated in the Elliston Aboriginal massacre.

All the best and again, thanks for the reply.

Best Regards

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 615199

Follow Up By: Member - Rustygq - Saturday, Nov 25, 2017 at 11:56

Saturday, Nov 25, 2017 at 11:56
Great report Stephen. I think we might have been camped right next to you. The heat and wind certainly took the shine off it but it was still a very worthwhile experience to be there. If we meet up again I'll shake your hand.
Cheers
Russ

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 886042

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Nov 25, 2017 at 13:12

Saturday, Nov 25, 2017 at 13:12
Hi Russ

Its a bugger to think I might have missed you. Our next door neighbour was Peter G from Tamworth and then Peter and Margaret in their Oka.

There were 2 other Ultimates at the event, Leon Ashton from Quorn had his there, and one of Idler Chris's team had one as well.

As you say the wind and the heat took the shine off, but we look back now and it was one hell of a fantastic trip with like minded people.

The other think that was great, was most people never knew anyone there, but came away with life long friends.

It will be great to catch up again.

Thanks for reply and time to read it.

Regards

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 886043

Reply By: Pete G - Sunday, Nov 26, 2017 at 02:22

Sunday, Nov 26, 2017 at 02:22
Stephen,
Thanks for posting. Great blog with photo's. I'm currently in the Indian Ocean about 3 days out of Freo. Ain't technology great (when it works). Trip East home was a little more sedate. Mungo was fantastic.

Regards
Pete_G

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 615216

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Nov 26, 2017 at 07:59

Sunday, Nov 26, 2017 at 07:59
Hi Peter

It was great to catch up with you in Fowlers Bay, and spend the next 3 days with you at the Ooldea site.

You sure get around and hope you have a great trip over in the West. Mungo is a great place to visit and good to see you had a more relaxed drive back home.

Thanks for reading to blog and taking the time to reply.

All the Best.

Regards

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 886060

Reply By: Zippo - Sunday, Nov 26, 2017 at 14:22

Sunday, Nov 26, 2017 at 14:22
We already had a schedule to be elsewhere at the time so were not going to be able to attend, but agree re Stephen's write-up.

We were in NSW at the time of the ceremony, but when in Canberra we took the opportunity at the Australian Mint to stamp a commemorative "joining-of-the-rails" $1 coin for ourselves. The commemorative press is set up to do one type for I believe a three-month stint, and will be doing these coins until the end of the year. The mint do not do mail-order or provide an other purchase mechanism other than the walk-in-self-service that we used, but apparently there are individuals who come in, stamp a bunch and then offer them via ebay and/or other outlets.

My interest in the ceremony was mainly because my grandparents, mother and her siblings relocated from Melbourne to Perth, travelling on the second train to travel west - the first being for pollies and celebs only. We actually travelled on the I-P past that point on the 17th of November, saw the "memorial" as we passed, and thought of all the EO-ers who would have been there a month earlier.
AnswerID: 615224

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Nov 26, 2017 at 21:58

Sunday, Nov 26, 2017 at 21:58
Hi Zippo

That's good that the Mint were doing the $1 commemorative coin, and to be honest, I was not aware on that.

When you went past the site, did the train driver let people know of its importance.

It would have been a very special piece of family for your grandparents to travel across the Nullabor back in 1917 and a far cry to the train trip of today.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 886086

Follow Up By: Zippo - Sunday, Nov 26, 2017 at 22:14

Sunday, Nov 26, 2017 at 22:14
There was an announcement explaining to passengers that Ooldea was where the tracks were joined in 1917, but that was all. This came as we passed the siding (?), which caused us to look out the window. Shortly after, the "steelwork" came into view.

A bit off-topic, but normally I wouldn't be caught dead on the I-P, but SWMBO has always wanted to do it (once). Mind you 8 transits across on the bitumen is at least 7 too many, the reason we have used and re-used the GCR as our preferred route.
FollowupID: 886087

Sponsored Links