PLB

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 25, 2017 at 13:22
ThreadID: 135911 Views:7966 Replies:5 FollowUps:17
This Thread has been Archived
In the market to purchase a plb unit when out 4wdriving.
I know there are numerous brands available however seeking any feedback on what units fellow members are currently using.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Saturday, Nov 25, 2017 at 13:29

Saturday, Nov 25, 2017 at 13:29
Purchased a KTI on specs. Wouldn't have a clue personally how well it works as I have never set it off. Very compact and comes in a protective case and has an armband holder as well.
AnswerID: 615202

Follow Up By: Ozi M - Saturday, Nov 25, 2017 at 13:41

Saturday, Nov 25, 2017 at 13:41
I did the same, 10 year battery, competitive price, good reputation, suits me
FollowupID: 886044

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Saturday, Nov 25, 2017 at 13:48

Saturday, Nov 25, 2017 at 13:48
And Australian to.
FollowupID: 886045

Follow Up By: gbc - Saturday, Nov 25, 2017 at 17:46

Saturday, Nov 25, 2017 at 17:46
Me three. Kayaking hiking 4wding it comes with me.
FollowupID: 886051

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Saturday, Nov 25, 2017 at 19:10

Saturday, Nov 25, 2017 at 19:10
Yes, the KT PLB is very compact, light, and good specs likr the 10yr battery, mirror, hard zipped compact case with neck cord (fluro yellow), and the rubber pouch if you are doing water activities like kayaking / canoeing.
The best value I have found (still) is Arnolds Boat Shop in the linked text above, $247.
FollowupID: 886055

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Saturday, Nov 25, 2017 at 22:01

Saturday, Nov 25, 2017 at 22:01
Another one with the compact KTI SA2G GPS PLB. Just make sure you get the longest battery expiry possible (eg December 2028 or better)
FollowupID: 886058

Follow Up By: Member BarryG - Sunday, Nov 26, 2017 at 11:39

Sunday, Nov 26, 2017 at 11:39
Me too! I also have a KTI PLB - great price, great size and great claimed battery life!
Barry
FollowupID: 886062

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Nov 25, 2017 at 14:01

Saturday, Nov 25, 2017 at 14:01
Hi Munji

First of all, some form of PLB is the cheapest piece of life insurance any four wheel drive, grey nomad or any person that travels outside of normal phone coverage.

My way of thinking is that any person that does not have one is just dame right stupid and have no regard for their own safety and those travelling with them.

There are a few ways that you can go about this and some will have similar features but work very different.

Regardless of what unit you purchase, you must have 3 emergency contact phones to supply for in the event that your devise is triggered, these people will be contacted to verify that you are indeed travelling and at the location where the signal is picked up and there is no annual subscription costs, but requires re registration every 2 years.

These days all the popular PLB's are GPS enabled and will transmit your location down to around 5 metres.

I am on my second GME only for the fact that they only have a safe working life of 7 years in storage. The one that I will look at nest time is the KTI, as it is a lot smaller with a 10 year battery storage life.

I say storage life, as once the unit is activated, they are then a throw away affair. A PLB within its usable working life will work for a for 24 hours of continual transmission of your location. Officials claim that within 20 minutes of activation, your location is logged and various emergency bodies will be alerted to your location.

On the other hand another piece of equipment that you should also consider is a SPOT. The down side of a SPOT is that it requires an annual fee, but the advantage it has over a PLB, is your family and friends can follow your travel progress within 5 minutes in real time time, something that a PLB can not do. Also another feature that a SPOT can do is once you have activated your SOS button, you can at any time after that, press the button again to cancel the signal.

What ever way you go, please buy one to be a responsible driver. Only just last week, those 2 chaps from Broome spent 4 day thinking they would die, where if they had some form of PLB, would have been home by the next day.

All the best

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 615204

Follow Up By: Dean K3 - Sunday, Nov 26, 2017 at 11:47

Sunday, Nov 26, 2017 at 11:47
I have one concern with the spot system -you have to pay a annual subscription for it to work.

even a discarded out of use PLB/Eprib will be followed up upon should it be activated either accidentally or intentionally. Heard of few instances where they get chucked in waste truck and activate in land fill /recycling yard

Next PLB I get number one thing will be ability to replace battery/ies and have a decent shelf life why a certain manufacturer will replace a battery and then give it "only one year" is beyond me.
FollowupID: 886064

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Nov 26, 2017 at 12:25

Sunday, Nov 26, 2017 at 12:25
Hi Dean

I now carry 2 PLB's, my new current one as well as my now out of date unit, plus the SPOT

Yes there is an annual fee, but unlike a PLB that is only good for your position once activated, the SPOT will transmit your location every 5 minutes when you are travelling.

On our last trip up to the Kimberley and Nhulunbuy, my dad could tell when we were stopped, even for a lunch stop. Another good thing with the SPOT, if by any chance you are involved in an accident and not able to activate your SOS button on the SPOT, or a PLB, your position will show others where you have not moved, which this alone is a very handy feature.

As for replacing the batteries, it is usually cheaper to buy a new PLB than get the battery replaced. The units are a sealed system and it can not be performed outside of a factory situation. The price of KTI is now cheaper than replacing the batteries on a Garmin.

It is better to be over than under prepared.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 886068

Reply By: Member - DW Lennox Head(NSW) - Saturday, Nov 25, 2017 at 14:17

Saturday, Nov 25, 2017 at 14:17
I have a Garmin Inreach SE+. It is capable of 2 way text messaging, PLB or Emergency response to and from AMSA in Canberra plus being able to check weather and emails. Track logging is a big feature that can be shared with family and friends.
It is able to Bluetooth connect to phones, iPads and laptops to enable message work and map viewing.
In the event of an Emergency, the Inreach SE+, it is capable of communicating with AMSA to enable them to respond the correct Emergency Service. In the event of the Emergency being resolved it is possible to terminate assistance.
You do not have to be in the Centre of Australia for this to be an asset. Recently, I was in the Central West of NSW and had no mobile coverage but was able to send to and receive messages from family.
More information here https://www.ja-gps.com.au/Garmin/inreach-se-plus/
AnswerID: 615205

Follow Up By: William P - Saturday, Nov 25, 2017 at 17:15

Saturday, Nov 25, 2017 at 17:15
Are you sure it contacts AMSA like a PLB in an emergency - this is what the website says "GEOS is the world leader in emergency response solutions and monitoring. They've supported rescues in more than 140 countries, saving many lives in the process. Available 24/7/365, they're standing by ready to respond to your SOS, track your device and notify the proper contacts and emergency responders in your area. While waiting for help to arrive, GEOS will continue to text back and forth with you - providing updates and critical information until your situation is resolved."

So it would seem that the SOS message goes to GEOS who then alert someone (AMSA). Maybe a suitable system but seems to be similar to Spot etc.

Also you have to have some sort of subscription service to two way message.
FollowupID: 886049

Reply By: Member - Rowdy6032 (WA) - Saturday, Nov 25, 2017 at 14:39

Saturday, Nov 25, 2017 at 14:39
GME. Wasn't much else around at the time I got the first one. On to my second one, no problems but have never had to use it.

Something new on the scene but a bit expensive is the Garmin inReach Explorer.
To access the Iridium network and communicate with your inReach SE+ or Explorer+ device, an active satellite subscription is required. Depending on your usage level, you can opt for an annual contract package or flexible month-to-month airtime plan.
Link to Garmin inReach Explorer
AnswerID: 615206

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Saturday, Nov 25, 2017 at 14:52

Saturday, Nov 25, 2017 at 14:52
The only thing that concerns me with the Garmin unit is that it monitored by a private company though a private satellite network and you have to pay a subscription. Does it work without it? Normal PLB's go through COSPAS-SARSAT to the Australian Maritime Safety Authority who organise the search/ reascue in house
FollowupID: 886046

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Nov 25, 2017 at 20:41

Saturday, Nov 25, 2017 at 20:41
From your link

Who Will Answer Your SOS? GEOS Will.

GEOS is the world leader in emergency response solutions and monitoring. They’ve supported rescues in more than 140 countries, saving many lives in the process. And they’re standing by 24/7/365 to respond to your SOS, track your device and notify the proper contacts and emergency responders in your area. Then, while help is on the way, GEOS will continue to text back and forth with you, providing updates and critical information until your situation is resolved.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 886056

Follow Up By: William P - Saturday, Nov 25, 2017 at 21:20

Saturday, Nov 25, 2017 at 21:20
Quote "Then, while help is on the way, GEOS will continue to text back and forth with you, providing updates and critical information until your situation is resolved."

But only if you have paid the required subscription.

The system sounds OK for some but for that failsafe option the PLB is the only way to go.
FollowupID: 886057

Follow Up By: Nifty1 - Sunday, Nov 26, 2017 at 19:35

Sunday, Nov 26, 2017 at 19:35
The subscription won’t bankrupt you. You can turn it on or off, with a standby rate of $6 pm. The ability to send messages from any location, and get responses, makes the cost justifiable, and you should have some form of emergency PLB anyway. With luck I will never need the PLB but the ability to call for emergency spares or help is what I value ( PLB calls are for life threatening situations): Incidentally, the accuracy of the maps is outstanding - even shows the individual drop dunnies along the Barry Way.
FollowupID: 886083

Reply By: Bazooka - Sunday, Nov 26, 2017 at 21:10

Sunday, Nov 26, 2017 at 21:10
Munji - if you see this before midnight Mon it might help. $259 less 15% off, plus free delivery, use SAVE coupon (as per h0me page). I've bought a few things from them, very good service.
Click the link: KTI PLB
AnswerID: 615230

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Sunday, Nov 26, 2017 at 22:25

Sunday, Nov 26, 2017 at 22:25
Good deal if looking, $220.15, snap it up if battery is good for near the 10 years expiry date.
I just emailed to check that, if so, I will get a 2nd one as back up, mine is now a few years old.
FollowupID: 886088

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Nov 27, 2017 at 08:25

Monday, Nov 27, 2017 at 08:25
I hope people that are keen see this reply, because I got a reply this morning from Ben at this Fishing Tackle Shop website.
He says they "get a fresh batch weekly so you actually get 11 years (not 10 as advertised)."

So this is a good deal, the SAVE code works ONLY TODAY UNTIL MIDNIGHT, and $220.15 is the all up cost.

I just ordered a back up one, will now keep one permanently in my vehicle glovebox, and one in my bushwalking kit to transfer to whatever day / multi day pack I'm using on a trip.
FollowupID: 886096

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Monday, Nov 27, 2017 at 19:18

Monday, Nov 27, 2017 at 19:18
You're welcome Munji |:-(

Good to see the Fishing Tackle Shop people are still on the ball with speedy replies Les.

FollowupID: 886119

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Dec 04, 2017 at 11:45

Monday, Dec 04, 2017 at 11:45
Well, got mine today, and they included the 4 fishing lure samples too !!
Great bonus hey ?

All same KTI kit as the Arnold Boat Shop one I bought a few years ago, the hard case is the norm, but the rubber armband might be helpful for kayak trips etc.

The battery does have the extended 11 year battery expiry (Dec 2028) too !!

FollowupID: 886301

Sponsored Links