SUSPENSION UPGRADE:

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 16:34
ThreadID: 13595 Views:5135 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 96 GQ 2.8TD nissan patrol LWB. I am wanting to upgrade the suspension but I cannot find independant advice on suspension. What is best for touring with heavy weight (recovery gear, fridge, food, water). No towing. Old man emu, XJS, Rancho etc etc. Any advice on the best one would be muchly appreciated. Currently have lifted springs from the previous owner which have been a god send off road but the rest have seen better days. Probably also upgrade the whole lot (including the current springs) as I don't know when the last upgrade was done.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member Eric - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 19:37

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 19:37
Well first you have to ask yourself what do I want to do . Soft road hard core ect .
This isin regards to Approch angles ,wheel articulation ect . There is no point in going a 4" lift , if you are going to spend your time around hiways ect . Also what size tyres you are wishing to run .

If lets say you wish to do a 50 mm lift , this will allow 32 " tyres under your GQ withought any rubbing , it will also give you a reasnoble aproach angle also .

The best way way would be some King springs ( this is what ARB use also ) if you are going to fit a Bull bar and winch , then you need to go HD ( heavy duty ) , if you dont , you will only get 35 mm out of the 50 mm lifted spring .

Shocks can be a personal preffrence . I would NOT fit ranchos to a GQ , I find them a waist of money on a heavy vehicle like cruisers and Patrols . They are good on Jeeps ( which they were desighned for ) due to there lighter bodies ect.

Foam cell shocks are a great way to go . there work well on corugations , I have had many success stories with Pedder foam cells and Gabriel shocks . If you want to spend some more dollars , then Konies are a awsom shock also .
AnswerID: 62320

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 20:13

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 20:13
Eric,
I think what you said is spot on. The TJM XGS shocks is also an option.

Wayne
FollowupID: 323654

Reply By: Member - Rick (S.A.) - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 20:20

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 20:20
Gossy,

ya gunna get a Gazillion opinions on this, so before the flood, here's mine.

i agree with eric re deciding what you want to achieve

My GU is set up for touring, don't tow anything. All up with fuel, water, camping gear, spares & etc, booze & tucker; 3.2 tonnes.

So I got lift from TJM Heavy duty coils + Ridepro shocks. very happy with the shocks in terms of performance & value.

I put a 4 Way brand return to centre external coil assisited shock on the steering. very good performance & proved to be the final part to solve the famed Nissan pull to the left (Nissan say its still in spec).

What if I had to do it all again? I would go Ridepro all the way for coils & shocks + the steering shock from 4 way

Cheers
AnswerID: 62335

Reply By: Browny - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 20:30

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 20:30
Gossy,
I've recently fitted Kings & Konis to my GU and are extremely happy, Imainly got the upgrade due to me doing a lot of heavy towing of a tandem trailer for work purposes and also tools and stuff in the wagon, I went for the heavy duty king springs on the rear and they have been excelent, even when unloaded the ride is fine and not to stiff, I don't do a huge amount of off road stuff, so the 50mm lift was fine by me, any higher lift would be a waste of time unless you were into some seriouse off road stuff.

Browny
AnswerID: 62338

Reply By: lazylcd - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 23:52

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 23:52
two months ago, had a OME 2 inch suspensoin lift done to my 89 lwb gq, very happy, more ground clearance without going silly, still, insurable with nrma etc, went for the medium set up, with a steel bull bar on the front , and a long range tank on the back, feels great on and off the road

Lazy
AnswerID: 62369

Reply By: Gossy - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 15:34

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 15:34
thanks for all the advice. Looks like the Rancho are not an option now which is fine. Had a talk to ARB and the old man emu ones look good. Looking at the ltr shockers which give me more oil for heat dispersion over corragations. With shockers (adjustable by them only by adding nitrogen), steering damper and coils they have quoted $2755 fitted. The XGS from TJM are offering $1294 which includes a 40mm springs, shockers (non adjustable but upgraded fm the standard size) and steering damper. I guess the bottom line is this: is old man emu the better product and worth the extra money? If not, then I guess the TJM product will do fine. This is for our car for touring, sand driving and normal off roading like the Flinders, Gawler Rangers and Robe. We do have some major trips planned like Birsdsville and all the usual desert trips in South Australia. Yes we do carry a fair bit of gear by the time we throw in all our spares, recovery gear, fridge etc (sorry I didn't mention that before). Thanks all for the advice so far.
AnswerID: 62425

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 21:08

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 21:08
$2700?? They would never get any work.
My 6in kit with engineers, brake lines, panhards, casterbushes fitting the works was $2000! Rancho 9000's and Dobinson springs..
FollowupID: 323804

Reply By: Cobra - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 19:25

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 19:25
A few of our members have the 2.8 in various years. Seems that the OME is the popular choice. I have started to do some independent research with Koni's/Kings etc but seem to be rather expensive when compared to a complete setup by OME. Think this is the way I will go when the time comes. I also pull a Kanga camper on some trips and thought about Polyair's were the way to go but have been convinced that a decent suspension setup would negate the need
AnswerID: 62486

Reply By: Gossy - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 09:19

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 09:19
thanks for every one's advice. Will have a good long think about it. Over and out.
AnswerID: 62581

Sponsored Links