Travel Anne Beadell Highway / Canning Stock in March/ April 2018

Hi Everyone
My wife and I ( 60 German /66 Britsh) living near Bundaberg QLD love the outback.
After a 8 month tour Mai to November 2016 we are planning now to travel the Anne Beadell to Laverton and after that the Canning up north. ( 2012 Mitsubishi Challanger and campertrailer)
Do you have some advice on the time of the year and the track conditions.
Can we do both tracks solo and with our trailer ( sat device provided?)
Thanks a lot
Jorg
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Dec 08, 2017 at 09:14

Friday, Dec 08, 2017 at 09:14
I think March is too early. It could still get VERY hot.
If your camper trailer does not survive the Anne Beadell, it won't be lonely at least :)
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=anne+beadell+highway&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi1zPj19PjXAhWCopQKHYwmDWMQ_AUIDCgD&biw=1366&bih=618#imgrc=_1mCFA9oabganM:
If it does survive, it is not a smart idea to take it on the Canning.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 615406

Follow Up By: Jorg H1 - Monday, Dec 11, 2017 at 01:33

Monday, Dec 11, 2017 at 01:33
Dear Peter and Margaret, Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to us. We are very grateful for your advice and will plan our trip accordingly. All the best for your future trips, Jörg and Sandy
FollowupID: 886453

Reply By: CSeaJay - Friday, Dec 08, 2017 at 10:05

Friday, Dec 08, 2017 at 10:05
Hi Jorg,
I am jealous whenever I read a planning thread like this. You should have a ball.
My concern would be your timing; Not only will March be hot (too hot) you will also be alone out there, possibly the first vehicle of the season.
If you postpone it to April/May (some say April is still quite early) then at least you will find some other travellers. Should you be stranded for any reason, there is a comfort factor that another traveller will be passing within a day/week, but not a month if you know what I mean.
Other than safety, a trip like that is an absolutely gorgeous experience in the winter months, but can actually be a bit of a drag if it is so hot you don't want to get out of the airconditioned car for lunch
Food for thought - good luck
AnswerID: 615409

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Dec 08, 2017 at 20:22

Friday, Dec 08, 2017 at 20:22
In May 2006 we travelled solo from Cook to Voakes Hill Corner then west on the Anne Beadell and did not see another vehicle for a whole week.
(Edited to add month)

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 886414

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Dec 10, 2017 at 21:03

Sunday, Dec 10, 2017 at 21:03
We travel there most years and rarely see other vehicles no matter what time we go. Its remote and very few tourists...........= perfect.
FollowupID: 886448

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Friday, Dec 08, 2017 at 10:46

Friday, Dec 08, 2017 at 10:46
We did the Anne Beadell around July, we were greeted with the start of the wildflower displays that were just getting under way. I would suggest you delay the trip for awhile if possible else you'll probably miss out.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 615412

Follow Up By: Jorg H1 - Monday, Dec 11, 2017 at 02:15

Monday, Dec 11, 2017 at 02:15
Wildflowers sound wonderful. We were lucky enough to see them crossing the Simmo last year. This is yet another good reason to delay our trip. Thanks for pointing it out. Good luck with all your travels. Take care, Jörg and Sandy
FollowupID: 886454

Reply By: Member BarryG - Friday, Dec 08, 2017 at 11:00

Friday, Dec 08, 2017 at 11:00
Jorg,
It really depends on the strength of your camper trailer.
We crossed the Anne Beadell solo in May this year with our Landcruiser and Ultimate Campertrailer. Both were unscathed, apart from many, many paint scratches from the overgrown vegetation. In the 8 days, we came across only a handful of other vehicles, so be very well prepared and makes sure you have a sat phone and emergency beacon.
BarryG
AnswerID: 615413

Follow Up By: Jorg H1 - Tuesday, Dec 12, 2017 at 23:59

Tuesday, Dec 12, 2017 at 23:59
Thanks Barry, our trailer has stood up to pretty rough stuff before but we know there is no guarantee as we have witnessed on a brand new camper trailer being towed into Kalgoorlie after the AB. So we still have to decide whether trailer or tent and it's good to know you had a safe trip. We have an InReach device as part of our standard equipment. May sounds like a good time. Good luck on your travels next year, Jörg and Sandy
FollowupID: 886475

Reply By: Member - RobnJane(VIC) - Friday, Dec 08, 2017 at 18:38

Friday, Dec 08, 2017 at 18:38
Hello Jorg,

Both tracks are fantastic, and as other responses have noted you will be early in the season with obvious consequences. In any case I suggest it is better to travel north to south if towing a camper. The approach to dunes is more gradual and not as rutted.
We have only done from Well 33 down and appreciated travelling n to s. We are doing the. Northern section next year and will travel n to s again. We also tow a camper. In any case Well 33 provides an opportunity to revise plans if needed with a good dirt road (Gary Junction Hwy) heading due east.
An obvious tip is to make sure you give yourself enough time to enjoy the fantastic country you will travel through.
RobnJane

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 615422

Follow Up By: Jorg H1 - Wednesday, Dec 13, 2017 at 00:05

Wednesday, Dec 13, 2017 at 00:05
Hi RobnJane, so you guys seem to think it is ok with a trailer. We were not sure whether better to take only a tent. You are right we will delay our trip to hopefully get better conditions and plan for the n to s route. You never know maybe our paths cross on the top part next year. Anyway we wish you a safe trip and lots of fun, Jörg and Sandy
FollowupID: 886476

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Friday, Dec 08, 2017 at 21:28

Friday, Dec 08, 2017 at 21:28
We did the Canning in March this year, solo North to South. We did it in a Dmax towing a 1tonne trailer. We were the first people down for the year and I will tell you now you will struggle solo in a 2012 Mitsubishi Challanger towing. Your biggest challenge will be the sand dunes and the spinifex. Add to that any water that may be lying around. The group a week behind us lost a vehicle when it burst into flames. No matter what people may say it is one of the most challenging tracks I have ever done. If you want to have a crack at it then the middle of winter is the best time and dont do it alone.

AnswerID: 615423

Follow Up By: Jorg H1 - Wednesday, Dec 13, 2017 at 00:12

Wednesday, Dec 13, 2017 at 00:12
Thanks for your advice Ivan which we certainly will do some serious contemplating on. I think we saw that burnt out car on a YouTube Video recently. Maybe May / June are better months and maybe better to just take the tent. Glad you made this trip of a lifetime unscathed and now you those great memories to look back on. All the best for your future trips, Jörg and Sandy
FollowupID: 886477

Reply By: OBJ - Saturday, Dec 09, 2017 at 06:24

Saturday, Dec 09, 2017 at 06:24
If you go onto Youtube and search Canning Stock Route you will see what it offers and some of the difficulties that may confront you. I am hoping to travel the Canning in 2019 and have already found it a useful guide.

Have a safe and enjoyable trip.
AnswerID: 615425

Follow Up By: Jorg H1 - Wednesday, Dec 13, 2017 at 00:16

Wednesday, Dec 13, 2017 at 00:16
What a great tip. It really is an interesting and helpful video with none of oh so annoying ads. We will be watching the episodes several times over, I think. All the very best with your trip, stay safe, Jörg and Sandy
FollowupID: 886478

Reply By: Member - Raymond J - Saturday, Dec 09, 2017 at 14:03

Saturday, Dec 09, 2017 at 14:03
Hi Jorg

The brother and I left Mackay and done the Gun Barrel Highway to Wiluna in early July this year. Went south to north and was travelling in a Land cruiser ute 79 series. As with all the others I would travel a couple of months later than when your intending to do your trip. I wouldn't tow a trailer up the Canning unless you want to be in a world of hurt at different parts of the trip. I'm 61 the brother is 65 and both are fairly fit, born in the tropics we can handle the heat. we went with two cars for helping each and would do it again on our own in one car. First fuel stop is at the first community 900km to the north (can't spell any of them to save myself) used 180lts of fuel to get there. I carry 280lts fuel and 100lts of water so be mine full of the water as well. After the first fuel stop the other two should be ok with Billiluna being your last stop. Front tires were down to 18psi and the back was down to 25psi as they increase in pressure as they work and drive over the hot sand. Track was fairly narrow and you will get scratchers on the vehicle. At the time the track was a bit chewed up but if you take your time and don't hit the hills too hard you won't spin the wheels and dig yourself in too much. Passed 65 vehicles heading in the other direction and travelled along doing 90 to 100kms a day. In all, on both highways we did see a fair amount of carnage with both cars and trailers. Don't worry too much as there has been thousands of people that have thought like you and have done the Canning before you. Just remember if you break down use the sat phone and DON'T LEAVE THE VEHICLE. Can get a fair amount of basic food supplies from all the communities as they buy their food from there to live as well.

Regards Ray.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 615434

Follow Up By: Jorg H1 - Wednesday, Dec 13, 2017 at 00:26

Wednesday, Dec 13, 2017 at 00:26
Crickey Ray, didn't expect anyone to be so forthcoming. That is absolutely amazing to get so much information. Thanks a million. This is so helpful for us and encouraging to our planning. Will look back on your advice as we negotiate the track , hopefully next year. Good luck for your next trip, Jörg and Sandy
FollowupID: 886479

Reply By: splits - Sunday, Dec 10, 2017 at 21:24

Sunday, Dec 10, 2017 at 21:24
If you haven't already seen this site then ask them about your camper trailer and how you will go towing it in those conditions, particularly on the Canning.TRAILER

These two DVDs will give you a good insight into what both tracks are like as well as the history of them. You may already have them or something similar but if not I would suggest you buy them. The Desert Highways one covers the Anne Beadell.DVDs

If you change your mind about the Canning, then you could go on from Laverton to Wiluna and back to Warburton on the Gunbarrell Hwy then up the Sandy Blight Junction Road and the Gary Junction Road back to Alice Springs. There are some small sand hills on the Sandy Blight Junction Road but they should be easy enough unless your trailer is a real monster.DVDs.
AnswerID: 615460

Follow Up By: Jorg H1 - Wednesday, Dec 13, 2017 at 00:30

Wednesday, Dec 13, 2017 at 00:30
Good tips. DVDs already on the Xmas wish list . Also thanks for alternative route suggestions. Always good to have a plan B. Our trailer has been through some pretty tough stuff before but always good to get as much info as possible. All the best for your 2018 trips, Jörg and Sandy
FollowupID: 886480

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Dec 11, 2017 at 12:33

Monday, Dec 11, 2017 at 12:33
There is a really good Canning Stock Route Facebook page too, must join to comment, but free to read . . .

https://www.facebook.com/groups/canningstockroute/

AnswerID: 615469

Sponsored Links