3 Way Fridge

Submitted: Wednesday, Dec 13, 2017 at 17:11
ThreadID: 135977 Views:3087 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hello All, I haven't posted in ages so I hope this works. We retired from camping for quite a while but made a comeback about two years ago. Previous camping curse was keeping power up to bloody 12 volt compressor fridges, as we all "know" 3 ways don't work in the heat.

As you can see here the Chescold F400, which I picked up second hand for a song, does actually work. Ambient 37.7 and the fridge is -6.7. The fridge is empty in my garage so it's not relying on frozen goods that were dragged down to -18 overnight to maintain the cold. If it had been full of frozen gear I'd guess it would be happily showing -12 or better.

She's a bulky unit, only has 39 L capacity, but its big brother the RC 1180 is a 52L two zone and is reputed to work just as well.

Note: I do not sell these, this purely an information share.

Cheers, Jim.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Keith C (NSW) - Wednesday, Dec 13, 2017 at 18:02

Wednesday, Dec 13, 2017 at 18:02
Gday Jim, good to hear you back, yes, they work well, a few years ago I bought one off an exploroz member down in your neck of the wood and you brought it up to the fwd /camping show at Penrith Panthers for me, it's still going strong.
Regards Keith.
AnswerID: 615510

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Wednesday, Dec 13, 2017 at 18:09

Wednesday, Dec 13, 2017 at 18:09
I just checked that out, it was March 09 when I was at a Ulysses MC meeting selling motor bike campers I was building. Time flies.
FollowupID: 886517

Reply By: Jon W (Toow - Wednesday, Dec 13, 2017 at 18:13

Wednesday, Dec 13, 2017 at 18:13
Hi Jim. We had an 1180 way back in the 2000 s. Even with appropriate 12 V wiring it was a dog on 12 V but very efficient on 240 V and way too efficient on gas to the detriment of many a lettuce and tomato. Experience quickly taught us to shut it down overnight when using gas. We now have an Engel fridge/freezer combo which runs beautifully on 12 V and 240 V. We no longer require a gas option.
Happy camping. JW
AnswerID: 615511

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Wednesday, Dec 13, 2017 at 20:32

Wednesday, Dec 13, 2017 at 20:32
They both have their advantages. We're stop and prop campers so the 3 way suits where the 12 volters were just too much work. Anyway my main reason for the post was that there are 3 ways (not many I'll grant) that do work in very hot weather.
FollowupID: 886526

Reply By: Batt's - Thursday, Dec 14, 2017 at 13:34

Thursday, Dec 14, 2017 at 13:34
My first fridge was a 3 way it done the job within reason but there a bit old school these days and as we know they just not good at maintaining a regular temp so you get items that freeze then thaw out and end up to warm so it can spoil before it's time. Your adjusting the thermostat a lot to suit where a compressor fridge is usually set and forget your food will stay fresher for longer kept at a consistent temp.

Fitting a few cheap solar panels to the roof of the canopy or using a fold up panel is usually enough to take care of power supply combined with a small 12v inline meter so you can check the battery level. Compressor fridges are also safer to sleep near with no need to worry about possible gas leaks for the bottle or hose in confined areas like a van or camper trailer so no need to spend extra for safety devices like a gas monitor or CO2 monitor. No need to prop up items around it to protect the flame from blowing out on windy days and no need to lift it out of the camper and set it up out side with it's gas bottle so you can sleep soundly at night.

If you stop somewhere and want to do some shopping or site seeing you have to put it back onto gas or risk flattening the battery if your away from the vehicle for to long so there is a lot more work involved in running a 3 way fridge which doesn't seam to add up when they are no where near as efficient at cooling.

Your set up looks good but I'm not sure why your compressor fridge was difficult to supply enough power to it. With it set up correctly you would have more time to relax and enjoy camping I have 2 fridges one running off a 170w panel the other on a 110w panel fixed to the canopy roof which takes care of my power needs. I have no need for a portable panel at the moment so I don't have anything extra to do but give the inside a clean out occasionally.
AnswerID: 615522

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Thursday, Dec 14, 2017 at 15:55

Thursday, Dec 14, 2017 at 15:55
Horse for courses, 3 way works better for what we do. And our favourite spot is heavily treed, forget solar. We're stop and prop campers so the 3 way suits where the 12 volters were just too much work. Anyway my main reason for the post was that there are 3 ways (not many I'll grant) that do work in very hot weather.
FollowupID: 886540

Reply By: Nutta - Sunday, Dec 17, 2017 at 22:26

Sunday, Dec 17, 2017 at 22:26
I have the same fridge and swear by it!
AnswerID: 615585

Reply By: Shaker - Monday, Dec 18, 2017 at 18:02

Monday, Dec 18, 2017 at 18:02
G’day Jim, it’s good of you to provide people with a suggestion for a viable alternative to the better known types of refrigeration. When I was driving company vehicles & couldn’t fit extra batteries etc, I used a 37 litre 3 way Finch fridge & it was great on gas, acceptable on 240v & just adequate on 12 volt.
Even now, not everybody can afford 12 volt fridges, extra batteries & isolators etc, etc.

AnswerID: 615592

Sponsored Links