Terracan to the High Country II

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 18:46
ThreadID: 13598 Views:1614 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
As promised I took the new Jerry Can up to Mansfield on the weekend. Took Cicuit Rd to Craig's Hut. Very easy drive until the last track up to Craig's. It was a bit wet and muddy. The JC did it easy. Just scraped the belly a couple of times going over those humps/washouts on the track but no problem. Coming back down I engaged low range and stuck the auto in first; this enacts the downhill descent control. Take your feet off everything and it creeps down at 8 km/h, worked brilliantly. So much for autos lacking engine braking.

If height proves to be a problem in the future TJM have a 2 inch lift kit which I may look at, but not just yet.

Cruises beautifully on the Hwy and has plenty of grunt for overtaking, keep in mind I have just stepped out of a Supercharged S Commodore. Front suspension is a little soft at first but once you are used to it, no dramas. It comfortably corners faster than the yellow recommended corner speed signs.

My aim was a 4wd that would handle moderate off road work and get me to places I want to go; it does it brilliantly. At the money there is nothing that even comes close; a comparable Prado or Pajero will set you back another 20 large and according to the test in 4wd Monthly they are all within reach of each other. Oh and did I mention the 5 year warranty?

Do I sound happy? You better believe it.

Jim.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Brian - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 20:40

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 20:40
You can believe it. Here is another extremely happy Terracan owner. Great value for money. I think they will frighten a few others on the market. Mine has its 1st service (15000Km) on Thursday. Not one thing to report back to the dealer. (Except I am bloody happy with the vehicle). All perfect. I reckon Hyundai are going to give the Australian car market quite a shake up over the next few years. And yes, just love that 5 year warranty. Hope I will never need to use it. Am looking for a long range fuel tank as per other post.
AnswerID: 62346

Follow Up By: Jimbo - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 21:20

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 21:20
Bigfella,

I remember about 8 months ago both you and I were seriously considering an X-Trail (I actually had one on order). Whilst I still believe they are a ripping little car, at the money they are not in the same league as the Jerry.

Obviously you found the same options and went for value. Hope I continue to be as happy as you obviously are.

Regards,

Jim.
FollowupID: 323663

Reply By: Member - StevenL - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 20:46

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 20:46
Gee Guys,

Sounds like a bit of a love-in. Glad you guys are happy. I'll stick to the Prado but I must admit that if I had not been able to Salary Sacrifice to make it about 1/3 cheaper then I would have been looking at a RAV4 or similar and MAY have been tempted to look at the alternatives such as the Terra.

Good to hear it is going well.

Steven
AnswerID: 62347

Follow Up By: Jimbo - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 21:16

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 21:16
Steven,

I had the option to salary sacrifice but the novated lease option through Custom Fleet was $19,000 per year. I can do it with a personal lease for $14,000. With my job I am respnsible for a lot of our stores and therefore running a log book I will be able to claim virtually the lot. It was a simple decision to hand back the company car, get the salary and have the vehicle I wanted under my own management.

Just a case of doing the numbers. Works for me.

No doubt the Prado is a fine vehicle, good resale, Tojo reliablity etc.

Sure it's a love-in, we love our Jerry Cans.

Regards,

Jim.

FollowupID: 323662

Reply By: Skiddy - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 21:11

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 21:11
I picked up my terracan last week, Havent taken it offroad yet as i wanted to get the 1000 km service done before I put a scratch on it. Drove it to york on the weekend and very happy with it on the road and have some time booked down south this weekend so will give it a go in the dunes, Another happy Terracan owner
AnswerID: 62350

Sponsored Links