Pro star ps30m question

Submitted: Wednesday, Dec 20, 2017 at 09:36
ThreadID: 135996 Views:1880 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, just wondering if anyone has this type of solar control, and could fill me in on a question..
has the 3 displays battery volts which shows anywhere between 13 and 14 volts. Next is the solar amps/input, which shows as 0.0 this should be showing something I'm guessing... but not sure if I've only looked at it with the Anderson plugged into the car, which would be live.. or the van plugged into 240 volts.. would the charger still be putting amps into the batteries while other charge sources are present? The other display is load, which has nothing attached to it, and shows 0.0
There are 2x135w panels on the roof, and 2x 105ah full river batteries..
I just think it should be displaying something in the input display, or am I missing something.. we purchased this van a couple of days ago, so all new to us..thanks all.. cheers Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Dec 20, 2017 at 10:27

Wednesday, Dec 20, 2017 at 10:27
Your Prostar PS30m is a high quality pulse width modulated solar controller from one of the better manufacturers, so that part of your solar equation is good.

Other things that may affect solar performance are cabling (length and size) between the controller and the battery - the shorter and fatter the better, within reason. The same principle applies to cable size and length between your panels and the regulator. Also your solar panels. Dust from travel, debris falling from trees, or poor orientation to the sun will greatly affect efficiency.

Battery volts of 13 to 14 indicate a well charged battery, or one that is receiving charge or float from another device. If something else is keeping the battery voltage up, such as charging input from the car of from the mains, then the solar controller may decide to contribute little or nothing because it thinks the battery is fully charged.

To test your solar, disconnect your car and mains. Run the van batteries down a bit with some loads overnight, then check your solar. To get a realistic idea of performance you will need a sunny day, but even on a cloudy day you should get a couple of amps.

Depending on angle of the sun, atmospheric conditions, the panel conditions mentioned above, yada, yada, you should get about 12 to 15 amps going into partially discharged batteries.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 615613

Follow Up By: Member - Odog - Wednesday, Dec 20, 2017 at 16:47

Wednesday, Dec 20, 2017 at 16:47
Thanks Frank, for your reply, it all makes sense now.. I understand how it must work.. all the best for the season.. Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 886691

Reply By: terryt - Wednesday, Dec 20, 2017 at 12:41

Wednesday, Dec 20, 2017 at 12:41
Relax. I have the same controller. The batteries will only accept what they need so if they are fully charged the solar input will show as zip. I found mine may show no input till say I turn on the fridge. After a while because the fridge has taken power out of the batteries you'll get a value showing as input.
AnswerID: 615615

Follow Up By: Member - Odog - Wednesday, Dec 20, 2017 at 16:50

Wednesday, Dec 20, 2017 at 16:50
Yeah, I get it now.. it's all new to us, only picked up the van the other day, so trying to get my head around it all.. thanks for the reply terryt... have a great Christmas/holiday season.. cheers Odog

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 886692

Reply By: Grant Tas - Thursday, Dec 21, 2017 at 21:11

Thursday, Dec 21, 2017 at 21:11
Hi Odog
I have the prostar 30 amp regulator in my caravan , which I found great.
You can download the manual from Morningstar in PDF fomat, which I found useful.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Grant
AnswerID: 615653

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)