Betoota pub to reopen in town with no people

Betoota Pub to reopen

Bit of a gamble, hope it works out.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 20:02

Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 20:02
Hope they do well and I am sure many will bypass the new road to visit. They will need some other work during the ohh months an hopefully the licensing commission gives them a break when it comes to licence fees.
AnswerID: 616224

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Saturday, Jan 20, 2018 at 11:31

Saturday, Jan 20, 2018 at 11:31
Hardly a bypass in the scope of the country, well worth a few hours looking around there and the racecourse, have done it a few times :)
I bet licensing would be huge in cost.

It will need a lot of cleaning up, and if they put in some basic supplies, maybe even a diesel bowser (new one required :) ), and put in a nice campground with basic amenities, they should do ok.

Plenty of travellers passing by, and of course BV races and BRB type times would be a boon.
FollowupID: 887519

Reply By: Zippo - Saturday, Jan 20, 2018 at 11:51

Saturday, Jan 20, 2018 at 11:51
Yes, being off the track will be a problem. Many (of us) will divert in there "because it is there", but Joe Blow will probably be unaware and pass it by. That is the key to their survival.

Middleton (on the Winton-Boulia road) at least is ON the route and visible, so it picks up the curious/thirsty/hungry.Stonehenge pub is off the track but not by much, and there is a town there so they seem to manage OK.

It's sad that these isolated places - like Mungerannie - are what a lot of travellers take for granted, but if they don't stop and spend their $$$ then they won't be there.
AnswerID: 616237

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Saturday, Jan 20, 2018 at 18:09

Saturday, Jan 20, 2018 at 18:09
Road signage is pretty good, it draws you in . . . but no doubt they will improve this even more.

If they get some good camping facilities in there it would be a real attraction for people leaving or arriving BV at awkward times a nice spot to set up for the night.

Not sure just how much of the area they have, if only the fenced pub area it could be hard setting up in that area for camping, not an overly large space.

I should have also mentioned Betoota races as well in previous post, another boon period.
FollowupID: 887544

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, Jan 21, 2018 at 08:54

Sunday, Jan 21, 2018 at 08:54
I wish the guy all the best of luck. Sounds like he is investing a lot of dosh into it.

He is a braver man than I am. With no locals. It's only 6 - 7 km off the main road but look at all the road houses that die 1 - 2 km off bypass roads when they went through elsewhere. Surely most from the east will load up with food, fuel and rest at Windorah. - Last stop with 'half reasonable' prices....

While there will be some travellers that take their time, you just have to look at the number of questions of forums inc this one like "Can I cross the Simpson in 3 days" to see that a large percentage of people are woefully short of time for their trip. They will surely keep on the move for a 400km leg on a good road.

Anyway thank god for people like that guy.
AnswerID: 616253

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Jan 21, 2018 at 10:00

Sunday, Jan 21, 2018 at 10:00
According to Google maps the deviation adds 7.2 km to your journey. Hardly worth worrying about the extra when you are touring over those vast distances. With the condition of the track into Deon's Lookout that I have experienced, that is a longer distance in time to divert to there.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 887564

Follow Up By: rumpig - Sunday, Jan 21, 2018 at 10:38

Sunday, Jan 21, 2018 at 10:38
These days there's plenty of travellers out there willing to detour a short distance to visit places, especially if it's an iconic pub and has free camping available closeby. The camping needs to be walking distance away and they have good food available, supply those couple of things and I reckon it's a good chance the place can succeed (though obviously will need to cope with very few if any visitors in the Summer period).
I'm one of those time poor travellers you mentioned Tony, we have detoured to the Noccundra Pub before when going from Thargomindah to The Dig Tree, just wanted a feed and a cold refreshing beverage of choice before continuing on the drive. Granted Noccundra is on a route other travellers take to Cameron Corner so has a steadier traffic stream aswell, but we were happy to detour there even though it meant back tracking to continue on our drive.
Speaking of time poor...i'm currently planing a 2 week trip for later this year from Brisbane to Ayres Rock and back again, should be a great trip if we get to climb the rock as we plan to do....lol
Out of curiosity....Was wondering if the old double decker bus is still there at Betoota or not. The other more well known bus got driven into a hole a few years ago, wonder if this one still exists?
FollowupID: 887569

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Sunday, Jan 21, 2018 at 11:44

Sunday, Jan 21, 2018 at 11:44
Camping would be a lifesaver I think, if they put some good amenities in like drop toilets and bush showers (similar to Mt Dare setup :) ), then even $8 - $10 a head a night is reasonable.
Maybe have a 2 or more night stay for a couple of bucks less.

I feel a REAL winner, would be a Dalhousie / Mungerannie style swimming hole, sub artesian, slow fed, people love the dip at Dalhousie etc, and wildlife love the permanent source of water into a small creek system.

I think Birdsville is crazy not having the geo-thermal power station runoff going to a Dalhousie style swimming hole . . . the carwash is GREAT, but a swim at either side would be incredibly popular.

The yellow bus was there at Betoota last time we went through, but that might be 2 years ago now.
Not sure where the other one went from Bollards Lagoon property went (between Merti Merti and Cameron Cnr), but that was an identical one.
Thinking about it, I recall I read once the Bollard owners removed the bus about the time they closed off access up the border through their land.
FollowupID: 887574

Follow Up By: ian.g - Sunday, Jan 21, 2018 at 13:48

Sunday, Jan 21, 2018 at 13:48
Think I have read somewhere they are only going to have the pub open at certain times of the year, probably only during the tourist season.
FollowupID: 887586

Follow Up By: rumpig - Sunday, Jan 21, 2018 at 14:11

Sunday, Jan 21, 2018 at 14:11
Read somewhere that Bollards Lagoon property owners got sick of people camping at that other yellow double decker bus (even though it's a non camp area being close to stock waterhole) and they were sick of the grubs leaving rubbish everywhere there, so they dug a hole and dozed the bus into it and buried it....giving no reason for people to want to camp there now
FollowupID: 887588

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Sunday, Jan 21, 2018 at 14:24

Sunday, Jan 21, 2018 at 14:24
Mind boggling re the yellow bus and bad camping practices . . . getting covered in graffiti was another thing I guess, who in that low a level of intelligence travels such routes, and take their spray cans to tag things ?

ian.g, makes sense, the bloke is a Logan Smash Repairer I read ?
Maybe the pub is his retirement plan, or maybe he can shoot back to town in summer and run the biz . . . or better, go play on the coast for a few months in part yearly holiday mode :)
FollowupID: 887591

Follow Up By: ian.g - Sunday, Jan 21, 2018 at 15:26

Sunday, Jan 21, 2018 at 15:26
Hi Les, also has a property at Glenmorgan according to Facebook, interesting that they won't open until August, to catch Betoota and Birdsville races, I think I would be trying to get open earlier to also catch the Big Red Bash and Finke traffic.
FollowupID: 887597

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Friday, Jan 26, 2018 at 10:50

Friday, Jan 26, 2018 at 10:50
I think it will go ok if there is a bit of character about the place, good food and camping available
I prefer camping at places like that over staying at say Birdsville.
A artisan spring would be great but probably cost prohibitive, Mungarannie's bore was recently redone and the cost was about 1.5million. Getting a permit to do so even f you could fund it would be another event no doubt

Hope it goes good for them
FollowupID: 887726

Follow Up By: ian.g - Friday, Jan 26, 2018 at 16:46

Friday, Jan 26, 2018 at 16:46
To my memory there is no bore at the pub, all their water (limited) comes from the waterhole that they share with Mount Leonard Station, used to be a mill that pumped it up to a overhead tank.
FollowupID: 887729

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Saturday, Jan 27, 2018 at 09:02

Saturday, Jan 27, 2018 at 09:02
I can't recall a bore either Ian . . . there must be reasonable water available there for the racetrack operations though.
That could be a camping ground killer as visitors often need some availability to water for ablution and drinking, council would likely require this.
Ah well, whatever way they reopen the pub, hope they manage a go of it.
FollowupID: 887737

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Jan 27, 2018 at 10:22

Saturday, Jan 27, 2018 at 10:22
"That could be a camping ground killer as visitors often need some availability to water for ablution and drinking, council would likely require this."

Camp grounds for self contained campers usually does not provide water.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 887740

Follow Up By: ian.g - Saturday, Jan 27, 2018 at 15:59

Saturday, Jan 27, 2018 at 15:59
Hi Les, I think all the water for the races is trucked there by the council in one of their road crews tanker trailers, similar to what happens out at Big Red for the BRB. I know at the old race track there was no water at all and all trainers had to bring their own water for the horses. Most of them used to camp at the Mount Leonardwaterhole and walk the horses up to the track. The new racetrack is a bit further away than the old track and I have not been there since they started using it so I don't know how they get on.
FollowupID: 887749

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Saturday, Jan 27, 2018 at 16:22

Saturday, Jan 27, 2018 at 16:22
Cheers Ian, we have been there twice and once spent a fair hour at the new track, taking pics etc.
Didn't look for taps, but you are probably right, unless there was a decent artesian bore put in, the'd have to bring it in, jeez that would be costly.

Re PeterD reply . . . what I'm saying about camping and councils, is in this day and age, councils would likely require people providing camping to supply water, so maybe the whole camping thing will be too hard.
They would have to have some sort of attractive grounds to keep people there a couple of nights, so some irrigating would be needed.
Many properties in that part of the country do supply water for ablution and cooking, boil to drink, and that's what Betoota would have to do to keep people around, not just drop in for a beer, then alos with little reason to shop any basics, maybe they would get some fuel, or wait for BV or Windorah.

Time will tell, it'll be a while before I go that way again.
FollowupID: 887752

Follow Up By: rumpig - Saturday, Jan 27, 2018 at 20:15

Saturday, Jan 27, 2018 at 20:15
Cameron Corner never really used to supply any water and had fairly limited facilities for anyone camping last time I stayed there (was 6 years ago)...they still seemed to get their fair share of punters happy to pull up a patch of dirt for the night and enjoy a feed and a few coldies.
FollowupID: 887773

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Sunday, Jan 21, 2018 at 17:53

Sunday, Jan 21, 2018 at 17:53
Be interesting to see if it will be an outback pub or just a theme park pub.
AnswerID: 616271

Sponsored Links