New South Wales RTA/Registration

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 12:08
ThreadID: 13615 Views:2281 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I recall a recent post that dealt with the New South Wales RTA and Heavy Vehicle Inspections (HVIS).

Just thought I would post my experience for the benefit of others. I have a Land Rover Defender, with a seating capacity of five, as per the compliance plate.

My registration, with a note indicating that a HVIS was required, arrived a few days ago. On checking the RTA website, it appeared the only possible category that I could have been captured under was 10 seats or more, notwithstanding it only has five. The Defender has a modification that can be done to increase the seating in the rear, similar to other four-wheel drives such as the Troopy.

On my initial contact with the RTA I explained the situation and was told that I would need to get a Blue Slip advising of an adjustment of record. Not that I am a scrooge, however I could not see why I should pay to have something rectified in the RTAs computer system.

I called again and this time was informed that they would check the archives (wouldn’t tell me what for) and they would revert in 24 hours. This has occurred and I have been informed that no HVIS is required, no further action needs to be taken on my part and new registration papers would be forwarded

I seem to recall that someone else paid a fee for the adjustment slip. My advice is to contact the RTA on 1300 364 847 if similar occurs.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Baz (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 12:31

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 12:31
I wonder how many others got the same letter ????

Baz.
AnswerID: 62408

Reply By: tour boy - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 12:58

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 12:58
These rulesregarding vehicles over 8 seats were put in place because cowboy tour operators are using vehicles like hiaces and troopys without the necessary licences and twice yearly HVIS inspections. This can't make them have licences but at least generally their vehicles are safer. It is also illegal for side facing seats to be fitted to a public passenger vehicle, so standard troopys can't be used. Forward facing seats must be fitted.
AnswerID: 62409

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 17:44

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 17:44
They also need a public passenger licence as you said & they are'nt easy to get ( unless you are a cab driver ) as they check for criminal record & driving ability which some don't have.
FollowupID: 323748

Sponsored Links