Wasn't Australia day camping wonderful !

We don't go camping & exploring on long weekends in Vic because you know its going to mean stacks of people everywhere , cramped campsites , heavy traffic and long queues.

However the kids had a big 4wd event on at our place and friends hadn't been camping for a month so we relented and took off to the well known "Blue Pools" freecamping area near Sale in Victoria.

Left early thursday but our 3 cars still only squeezed into one of the last sites.

This place is sensational with a 75m diameter shady swimming hole at the end of a gorge with rope swings 30ft high rocks to jump off, easy smooth entry for swimming at one end with no current and nothing to bite you.
Pets ok , fires ok , drop loo to line up at etc etc.

Unlike so many other places in Austraila now you don't even have to walk more the 50m to it.

Next day we went out exploring a back way to get to the Avon wilderness track - some times known on this site as "Muzburys corner".

Meanwhile, while exploring a 100+ vehicles had squeezed into the Blue Pool parking area.
It was in high 30's so lots were down at the swimming hole.

The main point of this post was how impressed we were with the relaxed attitudes and friendly interaction of so many people on a hot day.

People crammed into the place and there was real potential for hot tempers however it seemed to me that most realized this and just seemed to make allowances.

It was a delight to see so many people interacting so well.

People were cooking BBq at waters edges, lots of Aussie flags , lots of new australians etc.
Many cars had parked in river up and down Freestone gorge just enjoying the surrounds.

While out exploring we discovered another great site with no one around and hastily returned to Blue Pools packed up and shot off to our new camp which we had unbeliveably to ourselves for the long weekend.

I packed up to fast and failed to secure my Fox Wing , which promptly collected the wind and snapped off all 4 swivel joints and poles.

P.S. This really is a lucky country !

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Tuesday, Jan 30, 2018 at 23:31

Tuesday, Jan 30, 2018 at 23:31
Last time we went through Hugget’s, the Dept. of ‘what ever they call themselves this week’ had cut down heaps of massive trees that were lying around everywhere.
It used to be a great spot before they made the track easier & later closed off the best camping spots.
AnswerID: 616524

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Jan 31, 2018 at 09:57

Wednesday, Jan 31, 2018 at 09:57
There are signs up at Huggetts still that say camping anywhere but main camp ground is banned due to Vandalism.
Access is easier now to but still a good drive in and good place to stay , it was crowded but you could still squeeze in on such a busy weekend and like at Blue Pool everyone seemed to be having a good time, lots of camp fires also as despite being in 30's just a few km north up the Avon it was raining and we left in case of flash floods ?
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 887911

Reply By: Kilcowera Station Stay - Wednesday, Jan 31, 2018 at 06:51

Wednesday, Jan 31, 2018 at 06:51
Lucky that white car found a cool spot on that hot day! Gotta keep the wheels cool. Toni
AnswerID: 616527

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Jan 31, 2018 at 10:00

Wednesday, Jan 31, 2018 at 10:00
Made me wonder if wheels in water for hours is good for car Toni !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 887912

Sponsored Links