Blog Review: Desert Touring: Knowledge is valuable, experience a must have…

My Blog Rating: My Rating 5/5

Hi Dan
It sounds like you had a great time out in great country and there is nothing better than the solitude of being hundreds of kilometres from the nearest person. Thank goodness for the MaxTrax.
As for those salt lakes......never trust them as you now are well aware of.
As many an early explorer would often say, they were the Sirens of the Deserts, beckoning the inexperienced to take the quick way across them, rather than walking the long way around the edge, only to have camels leg deep in black ozz.
I love your travelling companion, I bet he loves it out there with you.
Thanks for a great read and photos to match.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: 17 South - Monday, Feb 05, 2018 at 17:58

Monday, Feb 05, 2018 at 17:58
Thanks Stephen... The Troopy in the Outback is Bear's happy place. There is some conjecture over ownership! He thinks the car his personal travelling green room - and I'm just the driver... ;-) cheers!
Wildling from the North

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 616699

Follow Up By: Mick O - Tuesday, Feb 06, 2018 at 13:44

Tuesday, Feb 06, 2018 at 13:44
Enjoyed the read having done a fair bit puddling around out that way myself. Got into a similar difficulty on the edge of Lake Wills about 130 km NE of McKay. Glad I wasn't in the middle of the lake like a companion of ours was as we tried to sneak across Lake Hazlett some days later. Thankfully we were travelling as a group and were able to snatch out each time.

Cheers

Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 888169

Follow Up By: 17 South - Tuesday, Feb 06, 2018 at 17:26

Tuesday, Feb 06, 2018 at 17:26
Thanks Micko - love the pics - that brought back some memories. I know you're a well seasoned traveller along with Stephen L and Alan McCall - I've really enjoyed your contributions to ExplorOz and just gotta say, over the years I think you 3 guys and your adventures have been quite influential on my route planning... keep up the great work and blogs - and hopefully one day we'll cross paths out back!!! cheers
Dan
Wildling from the North

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 888172

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Feb 06, 2018 at 19:47

Tuesday, Feb 06, 2018 at 19:47
Sounds like a Crocodile Dundee moment.....you call that a Bog.....lol

I thought you might have put this one up Mick.

On a cross country Sunday afternoon drive west of the Wilkinson Lakes in remote South Australia (North East of Maralinga and South East of Emu) for those that do not know where it is.

The Wilkinson Lakes area consists of some large salt lakes and lots of small ones that will catch you out, even when you are driving along the very edge, as Peter soon found out.

This would have been one bog that if travelling solo, could have ended in disaster.

Also I have heard a good bush secret regarding driving on what looks like a solid salt lake.

Use a hammer and longer than normal metal tent peg. If the peg is hard to hammer in, the lake should be safe to drive on, but if the tent peg goes straight in and is covered in black mud when taken out......keep well clear of it.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 888174

Sponsored Links