Anyone Interested in a Madigan Crossing ?

G’day.

I hope everyone is is going well.

I would like to cross the Madigan line early in June and was wondering if anyone else would be interested in doing it as well. I'm probably going to do it solo if not but company would not only be safer but a bit more fun at the end of the day.

Cheers
Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Feb 05, 2018 at 20:59

Monday, Feb 05, 2018 at 20:59
Which way are you going, Steve?

I'd be interested but already committed to another journey.

Enjoy,

Bob
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 616703

Reply By: Sir Kev - Monday, Feb 05, 2018 at 21:28

Monday, Feb 05, 2018 at 21:28
Very tempted to join you.

Keen to know more info ie which way N/S or S/N and how long you envisage taking to do it in as I am not keen to set land speed records.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 616705

Reply By: Member - Buzzo - Tuesday, Feb 06, 2018 at 07:42

Tuesday, Feb 06, 2018 at 07:42
G'day Bob and Kev.

Thank you for the replies.

This is going to start out sounding like I haven't given it much thought because my answer to which direction I'm thinking of going at the moment is, “ I'm flexible”. The fact is I have been getting as much info as I can find on traveling the Madigan Line and it can be confusing. I read an excellent trip report from 2012 that told of navigating from waypoint to waypoint by gps as there was no track evident in most places and it took nine days to another one from last year that did it solo and was underwhelmed by how easy it was and did it in five days.

I've got in touch with two guys that have done the trip in the last few years. The first met up with two other 4WD’s through a forum and said they wanted to travel a lot faster than he did so he let them go after the third day and traveled solo. He still only took six days. The second fella always traveled solo and said the track was fairly easy compared to the French line but he stressed the point that he was very prepared for solo travel.

My thoughts at the moment are to start early June at Finke and I certainly won't be racing. I want to enjoy it. I'm allowing 8-10 days but it sounds like it may not take that long. If somebody has there heart set on crossing from the opposite direction then I would have no problem with that.

Cheers
Steve
AnswerID: 616711

Reply By: andoland - Friday, Feb 09, 2018 at 11:16

Friday, Feb 09, 2018 at 11:16
I'd recommend going from west to east to make it easier to get over the dunes. Many are quite a bit steeper on the eastern side.

These days the track is well defined, you won't have to do any cross county. It is very slow and very bumpy though, especially at the eastern end so take your time and don't carry more gear than you need.

Are you planning on going through Annandale Station to Birdsville or down the Hay River track?
AnswerID: 616784

Follow Up By: Member - Buzzo - Friday, Feb 09, 2018 at 21:22

Friday, Feb 09, 2018 at 21:22
Hi.
Thank you. I'm planning on asking for permission to pass through Annandale.

Cheers
FollowupID: 888228

Follow Up By: andoland - Saturday, Feb 10, 2018 at 07:22

Saturday, Feb 10, 2018 at 07:22
You'll also need to talk to the Ranger at Birdsville to get permission to go through Simpson Desert National Park. Get permission from Annandale first because he'll ask if you have this, and if you have he'll be happy to give you permission to go through the NP. At lease that was our experience.
FollowupID: 888231

Follow Up By: Member - Buzzo - Sunday, Feb 11, 2018 at 09:00

Sunday, Feb 11, 2018 at 09:00
Thanks again, I've got the contact details for all I need but I wouldn't have contacted them in that order.

Cheers
FollowupID: 888247

Follow Up By: andoland - Sunday, Feb 11, 2018 at 14:00

Sunday, Feb 11, 2018 at 14:00
Keep in mind that Annandale may be reluctant to grant permission. The first time we went along the Madigan line in 2013 Annandale said that people were starting to leave rubbish around and if it got too bad they wouldn't let anyone inn their property anymore, which is understandable.
FollowupID: 888250

Reply By: Member - JOHN C16 - Sunday, Feb 11, 2018 at 22:27

Sunday, Feb 11, 2018 at 22:27
I drove Madigans Line in both directions in June 2017. From Alice Springs to Birdsville and back to Alice took 14 days. The dunes are steeper travelling west. My tyre pressures were 17 psi going east and 13 psi going west. Travelling west some of the dune climbs are much longer and steeper than any on the French Line. I would recommend travelling east to anyone driving Madigans Line for the first time.

I telephoned Adria Downs and spoke to Judy Rayment. She explained that the station’s main concern was retention of their accredited organic status. She emailed some information and permission to cross Adria Downs the next day.

The entry permit from the CLC took 3 weeks.

Be aware the Finke Desert Race is on from 8-11 June 2018. Many spectators drive across the Simpson. Most of the traffic is on the French Line a few days before and after the race.

Enjoy your trip . Madigans is a great drive in any direction.

Cheers,

John

AnswerID: 616835

Follow Up By: Member - Buzzo - Monday, Feb 12, 2018 at 17:19

Monday, Feb 12, 2018 at 17:19
Mate that is terrific information thank you. I'm not quite sure what my thinking was with the starting date. I thought I'd managed to dodge the crowds for all the events out there over the season. Obviously not good enough.

I'll definitely go West to East now. I was down to 10 front and 12lb rear just for the Waa line. Lol.

Cheers
Steve
FollowupID: 888284

Sponsored Links