anyone used CEM 'Cleanpower' or oil-sludge remover?

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 17:20
ThreadID: 13623 Views:3221 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Surprisingly no posts come up under a search of oil+sludge. The 'Cost Effective Maintenance' (www.costeffective.com.au) testimonials are impressive but almost hard to believe...although 4WDMonthly did a test on Roothy's diesel and found that it did in fact remove a lot of carbon/sludge.

Presumably sludging is not such a big problem in cleaner burning turbo diesels? I guess taking a $75 punt on the treatment can't hurt provided the chemical involved doesn't damage anything in the process if stripping carbon from metal components - CEM have been around for a few years, and would presumably be out of business if they were damaging people's engines...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric Experience. - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 22:10

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 22:10
Pathfinder.
Its not a good idear to radicaly disturb sludge, if you have it, a suden rush on your filter can cause more damage than the sludge can sleeping in your sump. The safest way to remove sludge is to reduce your oil change intervals by say 20% until the problem disapears. Dont let money hungry fear merchants trick you into buying there snake oil. Eric.
AnswerID: 62521

Reply By: Quartzy - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 00:17

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 00:17
Pathfinder
I too am curious about CEM products. After seeing their ad in 4WD Monthly, i went to their website. I have a 1997 GQ 2.8 TD Patrol that has done about 110km and wasnt overly "pampered" by previous owner - in fact oil changes were done every 15000km and the oil looked like vegemite when i first got it! As a result their seems to be sludge in the engine to some degree - noticble esp. when first starting in the morning - tick-tick-tick go the hydraulic lifters for 8 seconds until oil has gotten past any sludge. I have tried using Nulon Oil Flush but it did nothing. I also have been changing oil every 5000 or less and also tried changing oil after only 1000 km to flush the system - again to no success. Besides the CEM line of products are their any alternatives? If so any successes?
Cheers
Matt
AnswerID: 62558

Reply By: hoyks - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 09:48

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 09:48
I have used the Nulon stuff and when I changed the oil I got about 1L more oil out thal I put in at the last oil change (engine flush was in a 250ml bottle) and some large disgusting globs of oily gunk. So there might be something to it.
I drive one of those in cleaner burning turbo diesels and change the oil every 5000K. I was using Castrol Maganatec and have heard stories of castrol leaving sludge in the motor.
All I can say is it worked for me.
AnswerID: 62586

Sponsored Links