Blog Review: A Place of Haunting Beauty – In Outback Australia…

My Blog Rating: My Rating 5/5

Hi Baz, Mungo is a special place, been there twice in the past. It is hard to imagine that this place has so much significance to the local indigenous people until you stop at the visitor centre and check out the displays. We read some of the "white" history and how important it was for the Overland Stage as it had the only "permanent" water in the region. We camped at the camp ground half way round the loop road each time. We are going again this year on our way to the Simpson Desert. Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Tuesday, Feb 06, 2018 at 19:45

Tuesday, Feb 06, 2018 at 19:45
Hey Macca, you are right, a very special place for many people.

I've enjoyed both visits, albeit many years apart. And fascinating that Cobb & Co passed that way - was there anywhere they didn't go...!

The outer camp would be a good spot to base yourself. I stayed in the main camp on this occasion.

Enjoy your upcoming trip, and hey, if you are passing through Milparinka way late May, early June, drop by the historic area, I'll be manning it as a volunteer for a couple of weeks...

Cheers, Baz
AnswerID: 616730

Reply By: Erad - Wednesday, Feb 07, 2018 at 09:24

Wednesday, Feb 07, 2018 at 09:24
Further to what Baz said, think about how Cobb & Co travelled through this vast land. They did it in the heat, the cold the dust and the flies. They had little comfort, crowded coaches AND NO AIR CONDITIONING! We travel through the country in our 4WD's and enjoy the scenery. Think about the Overland Telegraph - the surveyors, the line builders and the operators. They had it tough... As did the stockmen and I guess the labourers in the cities - we are all getting soft, me especially.

People often hark back to "the Good Old Days".. A few years back we were visiting the wool scour at Blackall, and the guide we had served his apprenticeship there. He often said ;In the good old days - thank God they aren't here any more'.
AnswerID: 616737

Sponsored Links