Lawn Hill - Adels Grove

Submitted: Monday, Feb 12, 2018 at 10:50
ThreadID: 136263 Views:3334 Replies:10 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
We are visiting Lawn Hill in June this year and would like to know the amount of time people recommend spending there.

In our trip planner - I have allowed 5 nights.
Thank you.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Monday, Feb 12, 2018 at 10:58

Monday, Feb 12, 2018 at 10:58
Five nights should be sufficient. There are good walks around the gorge so you can do some of those on separate days, and allow a day to enjoy kayaking and swimming in the two gorge sections.
Camping at Adels Grove is preferable in my view (only about 10km in to the national park), but there also some facilities in the national park if you choose to stay there.
On your way in or out, it's worth allowing a bit of time to camp at Gregory River, if you can find space.
Cheers
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 616853

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Monday, Feb 12, 2018 at 13:08

Monday, Feb 12, 2018 at 13:08
Gary
Been there twice, 5 days should enable you to see much of it at a leisurely pace, four days OK, three days you are rushing. Also slightly dependent on how much travelling you are doing either side.
Glad we spent the $s and had a guided tour of the Riversleigh Fossil site, it enabled us to understand it so much better than relying on the interpretive self guided tour.
You'd have to be hard pressed for $s if you preferred to save money by staying at the barren NP site over Adels Grove.
Mark
AnswerID: 616857

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Feb 12, 2018 at 14:37

Monday, Feb 12, 2018 at 14:37
Hi Gary

As per the above 2 replies, another vote for Adels Grove, it is far superior than staying in the National Park small campsites.

Just a few tips that you may or not beware of.

We stayed 4 days and wish we stayed longer, it is just unreal.

There are no power sites at Adels grove and you have two options of where to stay, either "The Grove" or the Generator area.

We prefer the generator area, as you will be guaranteed lots of sun for you solar panels, compared to no, or very little sun down in the Grove.

If you need to check emails or make phone calls, the short walk to the top of the hill at Adels Grove will give you Telstra phone coverage.

We would drive each day to the National Park and do one activity per day, as the walks are a must do, as well as kayaking on Lawn Hill Creek.

When you do the paddle, the first level is at Indarri Falls and it is here that you must get your kayak out of the water to get to the next level.

Of the four days visiting the Park, Rangers were only at the Office once, so do not rely on seeing them to get maps etc.

Enjoy your stay in a fantastic part of Australia.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 616861

Follow Up By: Warren B - Monday, Feb 12, 2018 at 16:48

Monday, Feb 12, 2018 at 16:48
Thanks for that reply Stephen, we will be there very late June on our way to the cape your info very helpful. bass
FollowupID: 888281

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Monday, Feb 12, 2018 at 18:08

Monday, Feb 12, 2018 at 18:08
Have stayed at both Adels and the NP. Last time we stayed at the NP.
Site 12 I think and it was not under any trees (hate trees over van. birds and solar) found solar kept us powered up (hate generators) and the quality insulation on the van was fine.

We also found the NP is the start of walks, canoe trips, etc without a drive through the dust. To each their own I guess. Need to book.
AnswerID: 616870

Follow Up By: Gronk - Monday, Feb 12, 2018 at 18:54

Monday, Feb 12, 2018 at 18:54
We went there 25 yrs ago and found the nat park area pretty nice to camp !!
Layout or buildings may have changed since ?
FollowupID: 888285

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Feb 12, 2018 at 19:04

Monday, Feb 12, 2018 at 19:04
Hi Alan

And you can not have an enjoyable campfire at the end of a great day.

As for booking your site, that will still not guarantee you get what you have booked and paid for.

On one of the day's drive into the National Park, there was an issue with 2 campers, and not one Ranger in sight.

On of the chaps had booked his site, had the printed receipt and arrives to find another camper on his site. No way in the world was the other guy going to budge, as there were no other sites left, and it was getting a heated argument.

Either way, Lawn Hil is a fantastic place to experience.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 888286

Reply By: Outback Epicurean - Tuesday, Feb 13, 2018 at 10:35

Tuesday, Feb 13, 2018 at 10:35
Hi

we prefer the NP to camp as you can really appreciate the early mornings and evenings in quiet surrounds. we visited Adels Grove last year and found it dusty, noisy and crowded. in the "solar" section, everyone was idling their engines as the solar panels were not working due to shade.
yes booking system is a pain but rangers put us onto a group site ehen there was a problem
cheers
AnswerID: 616880

Reply By: Grant Tas - Wednesday, Feb 14, 2018 at 14:16

Wednesday, Feb 14, 2018 at 14:16
Hi Gary
You need to take with you enough water as Adels Grove doesn't have taps to fill tanks.
There is taps and dump point in Gregory , the road out from Gregory is rough.
We stayed 3 nights which we loved
Cheers
Grant

AnswerID: 616915

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Feb 15, 2018 at 13:04

Thursday, Feb 15, 2018 at 13:04
There was a tap at each campsite in the generator section at Adels, but it was untreated water with a bit of sediment, so we did not use it in our tanks. Ladies at the office said they drank the water untreated but it was high in calcium, so better to take bottled water on walks and hikes. I used it for drinking water.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 888381

Reply By: GaryT53 - Thursday, Feb 15, 2018 at 07:39

Thursday, Feb 15, 2018 at 07:39
Thank you to all who offered great feedback and advice.
I am still unsure at the moment whether we will go Adels Grove or the NP. I must admit - rolling up to a booked NP site and find someone on it - and refusing to move - would probably ruin the trip.

Do you get an assigned site at Adels grove? Also - do people recommend bringing your own canoe/kayak or are there more than enough to hire?
Thank you.
AnswerID: 616928

Follow Up By: Member - Wildmax - Thursday, Feb 15, 2018 at 10:39

Thursday, Feb 15, 2018 at 10:39
From memory, you get an assigned site in the generator area, not in the grove. But there are managers on site and also a small store and bar/meals area, so no problem with disputes over where you camp.
Many people bring their own kayaks, but there are plenty of rentals of a fairly basic standard.
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 888371

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Thursday, Feb 15, 2018 at 12:37

Thursday, Feb 15, 2018 at 12:37
Two musts. Use Adels Grove and definitely hire a canoe.
AnswerID: 616936

Follow Up By: rumpig - Thursday, Feb 15, 2018 at 12:46

Thursday, Feb 15, 2018 at 12:46
Having stayed at Adels Grove previously, I actually liked the idea and look of staying at the Nat Park next time I ever get back there....was very dry and bull dusty when we were at Adels Grove. I didn't hate Adels at all, just different strokes for different folks I guess.
FollowupID: 888378

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Feb 15, 2018 at 13:16

Thursday, Feb 15, 2018 at 13:16
Five nights sounds lovely Gary. It is beautiful. We were there a bit too late, in the shoulder season, getting hot and not many campers at Adels Grove. The heat limited our walks so we skipped the long walk up the gorges, only going as far as Indirri Falls. Likewise with the kayak. We did not do the sunset walk up the range either.Island Stack walk was very hot, and we had to fall into the creek water and lie in it for some time when we got back down to revive. We stayed two or three nights at Adels. Not really enough time.

A summary of our Travelogue on My Blogs

The campground in the park had a lovely outlook, but with our rig, and the numbers there, we would not have got in, so were glad we did not risk booking a site unseen, and opted for Adels Grove. It was also lovely, and there is the option to swim or kayak in the creek there. With limited time, we did not even look at this, putting in full days walking and/or kayaking in the park.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 616937

Reply By: GaryT53 - Thursday, Feb 15, 2018 at 13:50

Thursday, Feb 15, 2018 at 13:50
For those who have been - how busy will it be in June?
AnswerID: 616939

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Thursday, Feb 15, 2018 at 20:12

Thursday, Feb 15, 2018 at 20:12
How Crowded?
Our two trips there were during school holidays June-July. NP camp site was heavily used during that period, best of luck with the Qld booking system as discussed above
Adele Grove don't take bookings from memory, but they say they have never not been able to accomodate everyone.
The Gorge itself area is large, it was never crowded as say Kings Canyon, Uluru, Carnarvon Gorge or The Olgas. However getting hold of the hire canoes from memory are first in best dressed with no bookings, so you need to be there when they open.
The Canoe trip and Island Stack walk were the highlights for us
I think it is heavily dependent in whether in school holidays
Mark
FollowupID: 888402

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Feb 15, 2018 at 21:09

Thursday, Feb 15, 2018 at 21:09
Hi Gary

We were there in Mid June 2015 and the National Park Campground was fully booked and as I said above there was that issue with one chap that had booked and paid, no Rangers around to help the situation and the other guy was refusing to leave.

As for Adels Grove, the "Grove" area was quite full and the ambience is very peaceful and the pick of the sites backed right up to the actual Lawn Hill River.

As for the Generator area, there was ample room and you could have quite easily got dozens of more campers there. Even thought it is called the Generator area, it does not mean that everyone uses a generator, and it was perfect to get full sun for the solar. If on the other had you want to use a generator, they are very strict on when you can use them, only between 8am to 8pm, and even then we only heard one for a very short time.

There is a mini shop, fuel, bar and restaurant at Adels Grove to cater for all your needs.

Enjoy your stay, and trust me you will want to go back.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 888403

Sponsored Links