Savannah Way

Can anybody advise me of the road conditions around July for stretch from Roper Bar to Borroloola and then onto Normanton. Are both stretches similar. Any recommended improvements needed for 2013 stock standard Pajero. Only changes are to Mickey Thompson all terrain tyres.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: CSeaJay - Thursday, Feb 15, 2018 at 15:03

Thursday, Feb 15, 2018 at 15:03
Ken,
'
You are asking what the road conditions may be in the future, it is crystal ball stuff and depends on many factors (wet season, grading or not, etc.
In general it is a dirt road on the NT side, combination of dirt/some sand, some gravelly bits, but with a decent 4WD + aftermarket suspension + lowered tyre pressures you could do 80km/hr on most sections (not a speed recommendation, just another way of stating the condition of the road)
When travelling West to East, as you approach the Qld border and then on the Qld side, the conditions generally gets worse on the dirt bits, but this is offset by some sealed sections.

As to your car, stock will work if you are not heavy; LT tyres a must. With camping gear etc. I would assume you will be closer to GVM and personally I would have good replacement springs and shocks.
AnswerID: 616949

Reply By: Ozi M - Thursday, Feb 15, 2018 at 16:03

Thursday, Feb 15, 2018 at 16:03
I drove Normanton to Borroloola last year in a stock 2015 Prado, (including tyres) with no problems.

I lowered the tyres to 30psi and cruised at about 60-70 most of the way, slowing as required for the rough bits.

My main concern was the river crossings as I am totally stock but the water was shallow enough to cross.

The deepest water was on the back road Adels Grove to Doomadgee, after Hell Gate the water was lower.

A few bull dust holes but able to drive around them and the Huge one was being watered every day by the road gang.
AnswerID: 616951

Reply By: KevinE - Saturday, Feb 17, 2018 at 13:58

Saturday, Feb 17, 2018 at 13:58
Hi Ken, Roper Bar to Borroloola (Nathan River Rd) is a very different road from the Borroloola to Burketown via Hell's Gate road.

The Nathan River Rd is rough! It's very doable in your car, but it isn't anywhere near as good a road as the road from Borroloola east. No mods needed on your car to travel either road unless the wet runs late & the water crossings are higher than usual. Tyre pressures will be the key. Lorella Springs is worth the detour IMO, but the road into there isn't great either! Saw a 2WD motor home & on road caravans in there though :)

The Borroloola to Burketown road is like a 4 lane dirt Hwy till the Qld border, even then it's not too bad of a road.
AnswerID: 617002

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Saturday, Feb 17, 2018 at 16:51

Saturday, Feb 17, 2018 at 16:51
The road from Borroloola to Roper Bar has been graded just before it was closed for the wet season. So as long as everyone drives slowly and not chop it up it should be ok in July. The road into Lorella Springs was also graded and is in great condition at the moment, they are a few washouts but they will be fixed in early April. We have had record rain fall this wet season but the track is drying out quickly.
Can give you a better road report on Wednesday, having supply’s brought in.
Cheers Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 617011

Sponsored Links