Vale Val. Wiseman

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 28, 2018 at 13:19
ThreadID: 136343 Views:5679 Replies:20 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
It is with a heavy heart that we advise the ExplorOz community of the passing of popular and long term member, Val Wiseman, who passed away on Saturday after a 12 month long battle with cancer. Whilst we have had many years of online communications with Val, we had the good fortune to spend 2 weeks with her on a trip a few years ago and she really was an inspirational woman. Both wise, practical and compassionate we are grateful to have had the chance to meet her (and husband John) and very thankful for her contributions to ExplorOz. She has also given us wise words of advice and support in family matters where we share a common link.

It was on that trip in 2013 that Val and David conceived the ExplorOz Wildflower database and she worked with David for months over email to devise the database structures and then once David completed it, she spent many many hours posting the content – a very large and laborious task but it’s done. Botany was her hobby and passion and it is a valuable legacy that she has left us with and I feel it is important that we try to ensure that it can be nurtured.

Funeral Details (provided by John this morning)
Valerie Ruth Wiseman, 13 May 1945 – 24 February 2018

Val. found great joy in the beauty of nature, and inspired those around her with her knowledge and passion. She will long be remembered for her great service to the natural environment of the ACT and southeast NSW, as well as her many contributions to the Hall and Wallaroo communities, to whom she gave her wisdom, energy and humour gladly.

She is survived by her loving husband of 53 years, John; along with her children Rob, Andrew and Peter; and her grandchildren, Katrina, Briana and Darcy.

Her funeral will be held at William Cole Funerals, 60 Nettlefold Street, Belconnen, on Monday 5 March 2018 at 9:30 am, followed by her burial at Hall Village cemetery. Val. requested an informal service, so no suits or ties please. As a passionate botanist and gardener, Val. asked for no commercial cut flowers, but bunches from the garden or the bush would be most welcome.

If you can't make the service, you are welcome to post responses to this post to show your appreciation and support, which we hope will be of some value to John and their family.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 12 Moderator

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Wednesday, Feb 28, 2018 at 15:00

Wednesday, Feb 28, 2018 at 15:00
You will be remembered fondly by us Val.

Baz - The Landy
AnswerID: 617247

Reply By: Mick O - Wednesday, Feb 28, 2018 at 15:36

Wednesday, Feb 28, 2018 at 15:36
What sad news.John and Val have been such fantastic contributors to this forum over many years and were always willing to share their knowledge and experience with others. Their contributions, stories, blogs and knowledgeable responses to forum posts were appreciated by all. Their blogs remain some of the most viewed on the site and remain a source of help to all.

Val was so passionate about her plants and wildflowers and would never miss an opportunity to encourage members to contribute to the wildflowers database here on the site.

Our thoughts are with John and the family after what has no doubt been a difficult 12 months.

Deepest Sympathies, Mick and Vikki.
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 617250

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Feb 28, 2018 at 17:58

Wednesday, Feb 28, 2018 at 17:58
That is so very sad.

It was on that same trip in 2013 that we met Val and John and had our Troopies in common.

We found other matters in common too, but we knew little about wildflowers other than an appreciation of their beauty. Val was so tolerant of our ignorance and introduced us to their names and characteristics with much patience.

She will remain fondly in our memories.

We offer our sincere condolences to John and the family.

Roz and Allan
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 617253

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Mar 01, 2018 at 12:03

Thursday, Mar 01, 2018 at 12:03
Val will go to rest at the Hall Village Cemetery in the north of the ACT.
I am sure this is a very considered location. Read below what the "Hall & District" website says......

"Hall cemetery, the oldest operational cemetery in the ACT, is unique in a number of ways, for example it is a remnant of the original woodland, contains the graves of early pioneers to the district and is the home of rare plant species and communities. In particular it is the home of a rare tiny orchid, Prasophyllum petilum or Tarengo Leek Orchid."
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 888844

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Feb 28, 2018 at 19:14

Wednesday, Feb 28, 2018 at 19:14
With very fond memories of dear Val.

Val was always willing to share her knowledge of one of her favourite topics, Australian Wildflowers.

She will be missed by everyone on the Forum.

We offer our most sincere condolences to John and the family.

Stephen and Fiona

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 617256

Reply By: Gnomey - Wednesday, Feb 28, 2018 at 19:47

Wednesday, Feb 28, 2018 at 19:47
I am so very sorry to hear that news. I never had the pleasure of meeting Val but I always made a point of reading her posts.

To John and the rest of family, heartfelt condolences old mate. It must be very painful for you all.

Mark.
AnswerID: 617258

Reply By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 28, 2018 at 19:48

Wednesday, Feb 28, 2018 at 19:48
Our condolences to you John and your family on your loss. Val and I never spoke on the phone, emails were our main form of correspondence relating to Spider orchids and Eremophilas.I will never forget her joy when she and John discovered a new "patch" of a very rare Spider orchid. It was unbelievable.
Val's passing will be a great loss to everyone.
John, It will be hard for a while however, the sun will eventually shine again.
Keep in touch.
All the best for the future,
Tony and Marg Smith
The rig

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 617259

Reply By: Life Member - Talawana - Wednesday, Feb 28, 2018 at 20:09

Wednesday, Feb 28, 2018 at 20:09
I will miss reading her posts, sending love and thoughts to John and her family
Marion
Talawana
VKS Selcall 2691

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 617260

Reply By: Member - Scott & Sally - Wednesday, Feb 28, 2018 at 20:42

Wednesday, Feb 28, 2018 at 20:42
Very sad to hear of Val's passing. We never met her but have been inspired by her posts on EO.
Condolences to John and family.
AnswerID: 617262

Reply By: Member - al V (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 28, 2018 at 23:47

Wednesday, Feb 28, 2018 at 23:47
Very sad news.condolances to her family.RIP Val.
AnswerID: 617263

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Feb 28, 2018 at 23:49

Wednesday, Feb 28, 2018 at 23:49
What sad news :(. My heartfelt condolences to John and all their family.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 617264

Reply By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Thursday, Mar 01, 2018 at 00:09

Thursday, Mar 01, 2018 at 00:09
Like many others, I knew Val only via her contributions to this wonderful website and the community it has become, but I feel like I have lost a friend.

Val inspired a renewed interest in wildflowers for me and I’ll be eternally grateful to her and I’m sure will think of her often when encountering wildflowers in the bush.

My sincere condolences to John and their family and my thanks to Michelle for her heartfelt original post bringing us the sad news.
AnswerID: 617266

Reply By: Member - Min (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 01, 2018 at 10:51

Thursday, Mar 01, 2018 at 10:51
We were shocked and saddened to hear of Val's death. I have not been a very active member in recent times and had no clue of her illness.
Val has been a dedicated ambassador for Australian plants and as such she willingly responded to my request to speak at the regular Thursday talks at the Australian National Botanic Gardens even though she had never done anything like that before. Suffice to say that interest was so great amongst the dedicated native plant lovers and scientists present that we had trouble clearing the theatre for the next event after Val's talk. Of course John was there in the front row encouraging her throughout. Those two were a great team. My heart goes out to John and family.
We will not be able to attend the funeral but will lay our bunch of native flowers on her grave later in the day.
AnswerID: 617270

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Mar 01, 2018 at 15:33

Thursday, Mar 01, 2018 at 15:33
I remember Val best, over the years, for her rare talent of corrrecting people, in an EO "discussion", with the correct facts, delivered in a non-condescending manner.

Condolences to John & family.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 617277

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Mar 02, 2018 at 07:54

Friday, Mar 02, 2018 at 07:54
Michelle

Thank you for your kind words. Val and I have gained much from our association with ExplorOz and although we have met only a few of the regulars here face to face, we have made a great many friends.

Allan

You read a little too much into Val’s final resting place. Yes the Hall cemetery is special in that it is a small historic site and distinguished by remnant vegetation, which was one of Val’s passions. In addition though, it is only 3km from the home we set up over 40 years ago in rural NSW just outside the ACT.

Friends, thank you for your kind words. Val was indeed a remarkable woman and will be missed in many circles, including ExplorOz.

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 617285

Reply By: Member - Megan and Kevin D - Friday, Mar 02, 2018 at 09:43

Friday, Mar 02, 2018 at 09:43
Hard to believe this sad news. We had some wonderful times with Val and John including our 2007 Simpson crossing with them and our grand daughter. Val will be greatly missed. I hope these photos give an indication of Val's warm personality.
AnswerID: 617294

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Friday, Mar 02, 2018 at 10:41

Friday, Mar 02, 2018 at 10:41
As a tribute, perhaps we could post our favourite photo of Val.
I suggest just one from each of us.
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 617298

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Mar 02, 2018 at 16:25

Friday, Mar 02, 2018 at 16:25
Indeed Allan, and this is one with Val taking a photo of what you used to call them Ear Muffler"s.........lol

RIP Val

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 888882

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Friday, Mar 02, 2018 at 16:51

Friday, Mar 02, 2018 at 16:51
Stephen, I know I suggested just one photo from each not us, but I think this one deserves publication. There is real affection here.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 888884

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Mar 02, 2018 at 17:54

Friday, Mar 02, 2018 at 17:54
Hi Allan

Yes that is a great photo of Val, when we visited the remote location and the second only ever recorded site of Eucalyptus wyolensis in the Great Victoria Desert.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 888886

Reply By: Kevin S - Life Member (QLD) - Friday, Mar 02, 2018 at 21:46

Friday, Mar 02, 2018 at 21:46
Sad news indeed. Farewell Val. Deepest sympathy John and family. When the travelling and blogs stopped I wondered if illness had struck.

When Val and John were travelling I used to look out for their blogs and still return to them when I recall that they had travelled through an area in which I had interest.

I will miss the contributions. Rest in peace Val.

Cheers,

Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 617319

Reply By: Joe Fury - Saturday, Mar 03, 2018 at 15:48

Saturday, Mar 03, 2018 at 15:48
To the Wiseman Family my most sincere condolences.

I will touch a Pilbara wildflower on Monday for Val.

Safe and peaceful travels : Joe Fury
AnswerID: 617342

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2018 at 11:15

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2018 at 11:15
I was sent this photography today. Thank you
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 617393

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2018 at 14:34

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2018 at 14:34
Hi Michelle

That looks beautiful and I know Val would have loved it.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 889026

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2018 at 20:43

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2018 at 20:43
Thank you Michelle. Absolutely perfect. I visited Val's grave near Canberra early this morning and was delighted to see this addition from our friends in the West. As Steven says, Val would have loved it.
Fond regards
John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 889036

Reply By: Member - Robyn R4 - Thursday, Mar 08, 2018 at 21:46

Thursday, Mar 08, 2018 at 21:46
Well, I thought I was the only one with such a passionately botanical mother.
I used to read people's requests of botanical information and see a simple reply by someone else with the simple words "Val?" or "Val will know."
She sounds soooo much like my late mother, even born 6 months apart.
John, please be assured that Val and my mum will have all the plants categorised on the other side by the time we all get there.
My sincerest condolences to you.
Robyn

AnswerID: 617429

Sponsored Links