The Man From Snowy River

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 15, 2018 at 17:07
ThreadID: 136411 Views:3910 Replies:11 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
It may surprise some of you, as it did me, that kids today don't know The Man from Snowy River. Neither the poem nor the movie! I know times change, but I was a little surprised and a teeny bit disappointed. I loved it as a kid but I was horse mad so that had something to do with it.

My 13 year old daughter is an avid horserider so this came up in conversation as a friend mentioned there is a horseback trek that can be done in the Snowy Mountains and its called by the same name. I mentioned the poem by Banjo Patterson and the movie and she shook her head, no idea! She then went to Netflix to find it and couldn't so today I just found this nice little clip to show her. Some of you might like to share it with your kids/grandkids.

We live in WA - so not sure if it's just because it's another country over there to the east. I remember it being taught alongside Waltzing Matilda, Advance Australia Fair, the Lord's Prayer, and the school anthem.

Here is the link to YouTube. It's only 5 mins 16 seconds. Link to Youtube
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 4 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev - Thursday, Mar 15, 2018 at 18:00

Thursday, Mar 15, 2018 at 18:00
If you attend that Horse Trek, you will also hear about some of the history in regards to the poem by Banjo Patterson and who is thought to have been "The Man From Snowy River".

I had a very enjoyable Trek with them last month, averaged 25km per day through some of the KNP.

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 617570

Follow Up By: Ken - Thursday, Mar 15, 2018 at 21:12

Thursday, Mar 15, 2018 at 21:12
Kev you are the only person I have heard of that thinks Banjo Patterson was "The Man From Snowy River".
It was certainly not Banjo !
The 'real' Man from Snowy River, the man who inspired the poem, is believed to be Jack Riley and he came from up around Corryong. Talk to people in Corryong but don't say he came from Mansfield or you'll be in for a tongue lashing. Up there they reckon Mansfield stole the story !
Ken
FollowupID: 889299

Follow Up By: Sir Kev - Friday, Mar 16, 2018 at 10:49

Friday, Mar 16, 2018 at 10:49
Where did I say Banjo was the Man from Snowy Mountain?? I said that she would hear some history in the Banjo Patterson poem - The Man From Snowy River AND who is thought to be the "Man from Snowy River".

Jack Riley would have been close to 50 when the poem was written. Where as Charlie McKeahnie, who died at age 27, had been known to chase escaped horses into the Snowy Mountains at age 17. Which was documented in the Poem by Barcroft Boake, called "On the Range" which was published a few years prior to Banjo's Man from Snowy River.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 889314

Follow Up By: Ken - Sunday, Mar 18, 2018 at 16:28

Sunday, Mar 18, 2018 at 16:28
Kev, sincere apologies you didn't make that claim and I didn't read your post properly. That 'and' word makes all the difference !

Ken
FollowupID: 889398

Reply By: splits - Thursday, Mar 15, 2018 at 20:18

Thursday, Mar 15, 2018 at 20:18
I am not surprised the kids don't know anything about him.. Could you imaging a lesson about him in today's education system. It would be all about the damage the smoke from his camp fires did to the atmosphere. Then there would be the native grasses his horse ate and the erosion its hoofs caused. We are rapidly going mad in this country.
AnswerID: 617574

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Thursday, Mar 15, 2018 at 20:50

Thursday, Mar 15, 2018 at 20:50
Hi Michelle,
Thanks for sharing.......
Isn’t the ‘edit’ function great!......sorry just had to throw that in!
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 617576

Reply By: Erad - Thursday, Mar 15, 2018 at 21:49

Thursday, Mar 15, 2018 at 21:49
I first saw the film "The Man from Snowy River" in a cinema in Sydney when it was first released. It was the only film I have ever seen where the audience applauded as the credits rolled through. No-one left until the credits ended. A fantastic film - I must dig out a copy from somewhere and watch it again.
AnswerID: 617577

Reply By: Member - PhilD_NT - Thursday, Mar 15, 2018 at 22:50

Thursday, Mar 15, 2018 at 22:50
Maybe you would enjoy some of it to music then.
http://www.wallisandmatilda.com.au/
AnswerID: 617579

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 15, 2018 at 23:05

Thursday, Mar 15, 2018 at 23:05
Wonderful, Michelle, thanks for finding that.

Doesn't Jack Thompson do a fabulous rendition of the poem!

I have a book of Banjo's poems in my travel kit. It comes out around the campfire occasionally and we all do a bit of a reading. We're not quite as good as Jack, unfortunately, but it's fun. My favourites - Man From Snowy River, Clancy of the Overflow, The Man From Ironbark, Mulga Bill's Bicycle
FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 617580

Follow Up By: Pete Jackman (SA) - Thursday, Mar 15, 2018 at 23:48

Thursday, Mar 15, 2018 at 23:48
One of my favourites of his is "We're All Australians Now" written to the Australian troops in 1915
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

FollowupID: 889309

Follow Up By: Ron N - Friday, Mar 16, 2018 at 00:11

Friday, Mar 16, 2018 at 00:11
Banjo Paterson must rate of one of Australia's greatest poets - and his poetry needs to be taught in all schools.
I have the two-volume complete edition of Patersons works, and it takes pride of place on my bookshelf.

Very few writers and poets comes close to Patersons love of the Australian countryside, and no-one could describe it so eloquently, as he did.

And it was not only the land that he loved, it was the characters in it that he also so ably described.

I was brought up on Patersons verse, and one of the first poems I memorised was Mulga Bills Bicycle.

I'll wager three quarters of the nation doesn't even know he wrote Waltzing Matilda!

Even the Times in Britain compared Paterson to Rudyard Kipling. Paterson was not only a first-rate poet, he was a qualified lawyer, a Boer War correspondent, a good horseman, a pastoralist, a farmer, a WW1 veteran (where he rose to the rank of Major, was CO of a Squadron, and incurred war injuries), an ABC broadcaster, and a world-wide traveller.

Any one of the above achievements would rank the man above ordinary men.
In combination, the above achievements made him an outstanding Australian - and those who have failed to educate our youngsters about him should hang their heads in shame.

ANU - Banjo Paterson biography

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 889310

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Friday, Mar 16, 2018 at 09:56

Friday, Mar 16, 2018 at 09:56
Don't know if Henry would agree with you Ron. :)
Dave.
FollowupID: 889313

Follow Up By: Zippo - Friday, Mar 16, 2018 at 11:45

Friday, Mar 16, 2018 at 11:45
No-one has mentioned A Bush Christening. Full of the "character" of life in the remote parts.
FollowupID: 889316

Follow Up By: Ron N - Friday, Mar 16, 2018 at 12:10

Friday, Mar 16, 2018 at 12:10
Yes - A Bush Christening and The Great Calamity are two of my Paterson favourites.

Paterson showed his innate cleverness with words by spelling "McPherson" as "MacFierce'un" - which not only reflects the Scottish accent when Scots say the name, but it's also a neat description of the Scottish Highlanders warlike nature.
FollowupID: 889317

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Mar 16, 2018 at 22:36

Friday, Mar 16, 2018 at 22:36
KMart have the movie & the sequel in a DVD 2 pack for $9.00

FollowupID: 889328

Follow Up By: Greg J1 - Tuesday, Mar 20, 2018 at 19:59

Tuesday, Mar 20, 2018 at 19:59
On our winter trip last year the bride and and I had lunch at McGuinness’s chanty. Or the ruins of it. She recited A Bush Christening word for word perfect.

She hasn’t recited it since she was an 8 year old school student. So impressed

Just one of those moments I guess

Goes to show the values the old school teachers indeared on their students. My wife is a school teacher and these things just aren’t taught these days. Not the teachers fault. They had to teach the curriculum that is layed out for them.

Cheers Greg

FollowupID: 889495

Follow Up By: Greg J1 - Wednesday, Mar 21, 2018 at 15:11

Wednesday, Mar 21, 2018 at 15:11
Sorry, that should have been McGee’s shanty.
FollowupID: 889520

Reply By: Member Kerry W (WA) - Friday, Mar 16, 2018 at 13:14

Friday, Mar 16, 2018 at 13:14
"Kids today!"..Pfft ... - was just having a conversation with a friend about having an unbelievable "Deliverance" type experience in the mountains on the South East NSW coast back in the 70s. Long Story - Had to include a clip of "Duelling Banjos" and had "squeal like a pig" on standby...just to educate enough to give the story cultural historic significance... but I detract.

Thanks Michelle - yes The Man from Snowy River is an Iconic Australian story both in film and writing.

Donna and I had the theme from The Man From Snowy River played, as we walked into our wedding reception' by London Concert pianist June Loxton - much to her disgust as she felt (for her) there were far more deserving pieces suited to her talents. But for us it was the topping on a perfect day and a reflection of our true spirits.
We both spent considerable time up near where the movie was filmed - the memories stay with you forever.
Needless to say its been part of our lives always.

Another excellent Australian movie you will find kids (and any true blue aussie of any age) will love is "The Silver Brumby" - also set in the high country but also explores the magic of the area and the intuition you develop when you "truely know" the land.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Silver_Brumby_(1993_film)

The Silver Brumby Books by Elyne Mitchell are also excellent for horsie people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Brumby#Silver_Brumby_books,_in_order_of_publication

Lets not forget Henry Lawson also.
I remember reading this story to the kids when they were little.

"The Loaded Dog"

http://alldownunder.com/australian-authors/henry-lawson/loaded-dog.htm

We literally were rolling on the floor in tears laughing - helped that we have owned a few fool dogs over the time...(Oh....and knew a cockie who blew old stumps out and cleared his old bores with a slight "charge")
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 617606

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Mar 16, 2018 at 21:58

Friday, Mar 16, 2018 at 21:58
Ah, yes, The Loaded Dog. Had to read it at school in the '60's. Loved it then, love it now.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 889325

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Saturday, Mar 17, 2018 at 10:39

Saturday, Mar 17, 2018 at 10:39
Like to think Lawson's " The Drovers Wife " gives a good idea of life in those harsh times.
Dave.
FollowupID: 889341

Reply By: Member - john y - Friday, Mar 16, 2018 at 21:35

Friday, Mar 16, 2018 at 21:35
Michelle ,you may be interested to know that the town of Corryong each year holds a Man from Snowy River Festival which celebrates all things about the man from snowy river including a live re-enactment of Banjo,s poem It is a truly amazing weekend with the whole townsfolk supporting the weekend I suggest a visit to their website is very worthwhile Regardsjohn y
AnswerID: 617620

Reply By: Member - JOHN C16 - Saturday, Mar 17, 2018 at 21:33

Saturday, Mar 17, 2018 at 21:33
Craig’s Hut on the top of Mount Stirling in Victoria was built as a film set for The Man from Snowy River. Although it burnt down in bushfires it has been rebuilt and can be visited by 4WD. It is in a magnificent location.

The hut built for the Silver Brumby films is located at Mount Hotham in Victoria. It is not possible to drive to the hut. It is now part of The Huts Walk at Mount Hotham.
AnswerID: 617647

Follow Up By: Shaker - Sunday, Mar 18, 2018 at 11:16

Sunday, Mar 18, 2018 at 11:16
Funny thing is that the film company had to lodge quite a big deposit to ensure that the hut was demolished & the surrounds returned to their original state on completion of the movie. Somehow it remained & was rebuilt at a reported cost of around $300,000 by the government.

FollowupID: 889381

Reply By: Member - John D46 - Saturday, Mar 17, 2018 at 22:14

Saturday, Mar 17, 2018 at 22:14
Hi Michelle
Can I mention the wonderful annual Man From Snowy River Bush Festival held in Corryong where Jack Riley, claimed to be The Man, is buried? We have been quite a few times. It's a celebration of High Country horseman- and- women- ship (gee, we have to be careful nowadays!). There's a reenactment of Banjo's poem. Our grandkids came last year and were rapt. Go to https://www.bushfestival.com.au/
AnswerID: 617650

Reply By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Sunday, Mar 18, 2018 at 11:07

Sunday, Mar 18, 2018 at 11:07
As someone who recites bush poetry, I can tell you it’s not just Australian kids who don’t know the story of the Man from Snowy River, or even the existence of the poem or the movie.

I regularly recite to groups ranging from Rotarians and Toastmasters to visiting businessmen, old folks and school kids, and am often astonished that no one in the audience has ever heard Paterson’s A Bush Christening, The Man from Ironbark (or Snowy River), The Geebung Polo Club, or O’Brien’s Said Hanrahan, Around the Boree Log, Ownerless (one of our great war poems), or Lawson’s The Ballad of the Drover, Andy’s Gone With Cattle, The Fire at Ross’s Farm, etc etc.

People are just amazed that this genre of Australian literature exists and are enthralled and delighted by it. Bringing it to Australians is one of my great pleasures in life.
AnswerID: 617665

Follow Up By: Member - JOHN C16 - Sunday, Mar 18, 2018 at 12:38

Sunday, Mar 18, 2018 at 12:38
The Geebung Polo Club lives on. On Easter Sundays the ‘High Country Cattlemen’ of the Geebung Polo Club take on the ‘City Slickers’ Cuff’n’Collar team in a polo match at Dinner Plain near Mount Hotham in Victoria. The next event is on 1st April 2018.

It is a great day out. The event includes a giant tug-o-war and a mad scramble when Easter eggs are dropped from a helicopter.

Cheers,
John
FollowupID: 889390

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Monday, Mar 19, 2018 at 20:14

Monday, Mar 19, 2018 at 20:14
Thanks John, I had no idea, this event existed and would certainly love to attend. Something to add to the list for when I finally cast off the shackles!
FollowupID: 889456

Sponsored Links