HilUx - 2L motor?

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 00:01
ThreadID: 13644 Views:3844 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Just a quick question on 1987 Hilux. Would this have the 2L motor? If so, are they a dog or what? I have heard that the whole 2L - 2LT series was pretty useless. I have driven a 2LT and not very impressive, I can only imagine what a non-turbo (2L) motor would be like. Any comments here? Also, what would be a popular motor swap (another diesel), with more power? Or does one just creep along and be happy with good fuel economy?

Thanks a bunch,

cheers!
johnny
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: snow - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 02:23

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 02:23
Hiya johnny,

I am thinking the '87 would have the 2L, think the change over to the 3L was a little later, could be wrong though.

If you were'nt impressed with driving a 2LT then forget about the NA version, it wouldn't pull a greasy stick out of a dog's bum. I wouldn't go as far as to say they are a dog of a motor though, teh 2L or 2.4 litre motor if treated right they go hard and for a long time.

I stuck a turbo on mine and haven't regretted it at all, makes the vehicle much more driveable (if that makes any sense at all). Can't comment on the 2.8 (3L) but there seems to be plenty of them around.
AnswerID: 62563

Reply By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 11:30

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 11:30
Johhny,

Had a 2LT motor in my Cruiser Bundy a few years ago, had the injectors done, wound up the boost to 12psi, big exhaust, and intercooled it, used to go quite well, sold it with 250k's on it and still going strong.

Pushed 33's, big lift all accessories, not the fastest motor but mated to the Dyna box in the bundy's made it quite reliable.

Cheers

Chris.
AnswerID: 62602

Sponsored Links