Around Australia Itinerary Help

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 20, 2018 at 14:45
ThreadID: 136451 Views:3078 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, new to this page and hoping the experts can help me. We're from NZ and planning a 3.5 month trip around Australia, borrowing my mum's 2002 Toyota Prado and 2006 odyssey off road camper trailer. Husband, and 2 kids (8 and 10) plus me. Heading off from Brisbane in July 2018.

I have worked out a few routes but hoping for some feedback if you think I am crazy for trying to pack too much in. The ultimate goal is not in a rush, quality family time and a flexible schedule.

I have outlined the possibilities and haven't included every stop, just the major ones so you get an idea of route.

# 1 Brisbane/ Longreach/ Mt Isa/ Tennant Creek/ Katherine/ Kakadu/ Darwin/ Litchfield/ Kununurra/ Gibb River Road/ Broome/ Ningaloo / Karijini / Gary Junction Road/ Alice Springs/ Uluru then blast to Adelaide where mum will collect car and trailer and go on her own adventure or we can skip Adelaide and drive back to Brisbane from Uluru.

# 2 Brisbane/ Longreach/ Boulia/ Alice Springs/ Tennant Creek/ Katherine/ Kakadu/ Darwin/ Litchfield/ Kununurra/ Gibb River Road/ Broome/ Ningaloo / Karijini/ Great Central Road / Uluru and then same as above (either Adelaide/Brisbane)

# 3 Brisbane/ Longreach/ Boulia/ Alice Springs & Uluru / Tennant Creek/ Katherine/ Kakadu/ Darwin/ Litchfield/ Kununurra/ Gibb River Road/ Broome/ Ningaloo / Karijini/ Perth. From Perth we are investigating shipping car and trailer back to Brisbane or Adelaide (depends on costs and if my mum wants to do a road trip!)

Basically they're sort of similar versions. The questions really are :

Are we trying to pack too much in ?
Is it outrageously expensive to ship back from Perth and/ or worth it to travel less (am in the midst of getting quotes) ?
Is the Gary Junction or Gibb River Road safe enough? We're seasoned campers and reasonably practical but still have a few nerves ?

Any thoughts/ top tips/ please feel free to tell me. Totally open to alternative route suggestions as well and happy to go in a reverse direction (ie Alice Springs/Ningaloo/Broome/Darwin etc etc) if that makes more sense with weather and temps.

Cold temps no bother as we're from South Island, NZ so used to that.

Thanks so much.

Cheers

Jane

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 20, 2018 at 15:48

Tuesday, Mar 20, 2018 at 15:48
Hi Jane most will say that 3.5mths is way to short to do what you'd like to do. Yes all your options are doable but it's a case of potentially a lot of driving each day to pack everything in. We've done the 1/2 lap a couple of times when I've had long service leave. What I did was get a map and plot on it where we would like to go. From there work out the maximum distance you would be prepared to travel each day (I worked on 400km ). Mark then on the map an accommodation stop or a place of interest decide is this just an over- nighter or worth staying for a couple of days. Add up your days and if it fits in with 14 weeks then you'll achieve your outcome. Remember to factor in residual days for those places that turn out to offer more than 1st thought.
Research what attractions are available along your route and factor in the time to enjoy these.
I'm one who enjoys the journey as well as the destination so whilst I may have initially planned for 400km/day that rarely happened.

The Gary Junction Rd is a good well maintained road in the most as is the Tanami. The GRR can either be a doddle or corrugated to buggery depends when the grader has been through, school holidays and recent rains.
Enjoy, it's a huge country with lots to see and do.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 617723

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Mar 20, 2018 at 18:14

Tuesday, Mar 20, 2018 at 18:14
Yes, I think you are trying to pack to much in Jane. What works for us is to head off towards a few key would-love-to-see places, tour at leisure, and half way through our time, plot a different route to home. We have places that we would love to see "if we get into that state or region" but just play it by ear. Far better to enjoy what you see, save stress and fuel, than say "We drove around Australia".

As an example, we had three months and Gibb River Road was our key priority, with Uluru in our sights if we had time to include Central Australia. You can check out MyBlogs from 2008 for this. We are from the south west of Western Australia. We managed both, taking the Tanami to save the longer route via the highways with all it has to offer for the following year, with more time.

While conditions vary, the Gibb River Road is not difficult and your rig would be suitable. We also went to Mitchell Falls and Kalumburu.

Of all the routes out of Western Australia, the Gary Junction is our favourite. You can check out MyBlogs from 2009 for this trip.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 617729

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Wednesday, Mar 21, 2018 at 12:53

Wednesday, Mar 21, 2018 at 12:53
Hi Jane, some of the roads you are planning to drive may be affected by floods etc. even in July when you plan to travel. Type in Australian Outback Roads Report on google. This is just one of many sites that offer information on road conditions in the outback.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 617755

Reply By: mountainman - Thursday, Mar 22, 2018 at 02:15

Thursday, Mar 22, 2018 at 02:15
That time of year.
Id be inclined to do fraser , moreton island
Then cairns and go all the way up to cape york.
Come across and do the centre like alice springs / karumbu / mt isa and back to brissy.

For a short term period that alone will be alot of kms.
AnswerID: 617761

Follow Up By: Member - Robyn R4 - Friday, Mar 30, 2018 at 10:09

Friday, Mar 30, 2018 at 10:09
Ditto to Mountainman. A great variety of scenery and a good stretch of km.
If time's pushing, you can do a few short cuts back.
Or you can meander a bit further if time's on your side...
Robyn :)
FollowupID: 889763

Sponsored Links