Gas Hot Shower

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 06:08
ThreadID: 13647 Views:6516 Replies:3 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

After spending a couple of hours searching the net it seem the local choice of Gas hot showers comes down to the Primus Gas Hot Water System and the Aussie Hot Camp Shower.

The Primus unit is the smaller of the two in physical size.

Has anyone used the Primus Unit.

There are already posts ( August 2003 ) on the Aussie unit. Any additional comments since then on this unit would be appredciated.

One question though, can the Aussie Hot Camp Shower be used in a shower tent??

And do you have to have the water running before you light the unit up. You do with the Primus unit.

Thanks

Magnus

PS. When searching the net this Forum is the one that comes up most of the time with the answers. So there is a good stock of info here.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dave from Fraser Coast 4WD Club - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 06:56

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 06:56
okay, I've had personal experience with both

The Aussie hot shower was cumbersome, extremenly loud and (IMO) dangerous. There is no way that i would use it inside a tent. Ours was destroyed in a matter of seconds when the cord to the bilge pump was pulled and the gas jet cooked the coil.

The primus one is much safer!! It does not get as hot as the Aussie (but still perhaps a little too warm for showering on max output. This one will cut off if the water gets too hot, or if there is not enough volume of water through the heater.
It took us a little while to 'burn it in' but it now works a treat. It's easier to handle and is quiet.

Can I suggest however that you wait until coleman releases their new model (it was on show in Canberra trade show a month ago) it should be out later this year, it is by all accounts even better again.

Please note that I am not talking about family or couple use here, I take school kids camping (sometimes 100 at a time) so I know all about endurance of proiducts!
AnswerID: 62566

Follow Up By: Magnus - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 07:07

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 07:07
Good stuff Dave.

I had heard the Aussie unit at a camp goods store here in Brisbane where they had one running, and yes it is noisy.

The Primus unit looks better on paper and I have seen one in a shop. It certainly is a neat looking package.

I had heard about the Canberra trade show for the first time recently. Didn't know bout the Coleman product though. Good suggestion to hang back a bit.

Thanks

Magnus
FollowupID: 323860

Follow Up By: Dave from Fraser Coast 4WD Club - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 07:19

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 07:19
...and the Aussie one is even louder around a quiet camp site!
FollowupID: 323861

Follow Up By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 08:11

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 08:11
Whats wrong with heat exchanger units for car --- Start car , bucket cold water, run car for 10 min to warm water and a bit of charge for your battery as a bonus, while you put shower tent up . stop car, have hot shower, no gas only hose off front of car, no unit/box to try and pack in, all fitted to car, or you can get the same thing in a suitcase type box and just plug it into the car. Much safer .
FollowupID: 323866

Follow Up By: Rod - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 08:31

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 08:31
Saw Sammi Lukas from the today show demoing the new Coleman unit at the Brisbane Caravan and Camping show on TV yesterday. She gave the impression that you can but them now.
FollowupID: 323870

Follow Up By: Magnus - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 08:33

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 08:33
Steve,

Nothing at all. They are a great concept and I understand work really well. Just not for me. Not something I want to do, mess around under the bonnet of my Tribute, nor run the car for 10 minutes or so when we are in camp and then bring the car close to the shower tent etc.

As a side issue I had often heard about people warming food on their exhaust manifolds and actually saw it happen lat year.

We were out viewing the sunset on the Flinders near Hawker, where we were camped. An a old Toyota pulls up and out get two blokes and under the bonnet for some warmed up sandwiches. Toasted Cheese. Wrapped in alfoil and sitting on the manifold.

They were hot too.

And they enjoyed them immensley as it was very very cold.

Cheers

Magnus
FollowupID: 323871

Follow Up By: Magnus - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 08:36

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 08:36
Rod,

Knew I would regret not going to the show!!!!

Thanks, I will now look around armed with that knowledge.

Magnus
FollowupID: 323872

Reply By: cokeaddict - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 09:22

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 09:22
Dont want to step on anyones shoes here , so if i am i apoligies....
I joined the Nissan club last night and the meeting was held at Boots outdoor world. Cut a long story short...
They gave us an update on new products comming soon ( 1 month Approx).
Coleman a U.S. company i think, has this unit that is portable. The demo that was done when displayed for the wholesalers was a large container with water and heaps of ice blocks floating in it...freezing cold water, they hooked up a hose to this tank and ran it through this new contraption. The outcome was....From freezing cold water to boiling...YES BOILING hot water in 6 seconds flat. This can only be achieved if you are holding the handle (a safety feature) OR sit this thing anywhere and u can have Hot showers instantly.
I saw the brochure and I was impressed. If i recall the unit will sell for around $300 to $400 dollars
Just an update for all my buddies here.... cheers
AnswerID: 62582

Follow Up By: Michael - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 09:45

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 09:45
Hi There, The Coleman thingo is Gas powewed i gather??
FollowupID: 323878

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 09:57

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 09:57
Introducing Hot Water on Demandâ„¢, delivering hot water anytime, anywhere. The portable, self-contained unit is lightweight, durable and operates on clean-burning propane. Use it for washing, cooking, cleaning, even an outdoor shower (spray adapter sold separately). It's so simple to use - connect the water hose, turn the dial to select your water temperature, and in FIVE SECONDS you have hot water.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/subcategory.asp?CategoryID=2200

FollowupID: 323880

Follow Up By: Magnus - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 10:33

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 10:33
I had a look at the US Coleman site earlier this am after the post about it being shown in Brisbane. It looks a really neat unit

Posted a query on the Colemanr Au site, where it is not yet listed asking for RRP and whare it can be purchased.

Will be interesting to get their reply. Also will be keen to see it it runs off a standard gas bottle. Being an American product it probably runs off a disposable butane canister.

When we lived in the States 20 years ago you could not buy gas bottles smaller than the big 20kg Bar B Q bottles. Not even Primus bottles. They were apparently illegal. Everything small was powered by disposable cannisters , but boy could you buy some nest gas gear. I still have some that I got 20 years ago (Gaz - the French? product) along with a Coleman fuel stove that we purchased for picnics etc.

You could buy Coleman fuel in the supermarket anywhere. So everyone had Coleman stoves for camping then.

Rules may have changed of course, but I don't think so. Three years ago could not still see anthing smaller than the big 20kg units.

So, will be interesting to see if Coleman have modified it for OZ conditions.

Cheers and thanks for the input

Magnus
FollowupID: 323888

Follow Up By: jolls - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 11:07

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 11:07
Hi all,

I'm currently kiving in the US, for another five months anyhow. Magnus is right, it uses the disposable propane cartridges, cheap as chips here. Don't know what the availability will be back in Oz. The base unit sells for around $180, I've seen the setup with all the accessories for $210.

Cheers

Craig
FollowupID: 323892

Follow Up By: jolls - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 11:08

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 11:08
US dollars that is.
FollowupID: 323894

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 11:37

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 11:37
the disposable gas canisters are universal
FollowupID: 323906

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 12:56

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 12:56
The web site doesn't provide much information, does it?

The pictures indicate a pretty weak pressure (and what looks to be a very small pump). Would it actually have enough umph to provide a half-decent shower?
FollowupID: 323934

Reply By: cokeaddict - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 10:13

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 10:13
Thanks Mad Dog cheers mate
AnswerID: 62589

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 11:46

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 11:46
Hi Angelo, you said you joined the nissan club, how much was it i'm thinking of it myself.

Baz.
FollowupID: 323908

Sponsored Links