Offroad Caravan

My dear wife wants offroad caravan.Only way to get her back out on road after tenting trip.. Problem my Hilux towing capacity only 2250kg.I have come across Goldstream, Jayco, Windsor and Goldstar.Any recommendations or anyone owning them .Any pros and cons be great.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: David I1 - Sunday, Apr 01, 2018 at 18:35

Sunday, Apr 01, 2018 at 18:35
To be serious there is really no such thing as an off road caravan. The salesperson will tell there is but when you look at the warranty papers suddenly you find off road is really AT BEST a graded dirt road. That is especially so for the vans you mention here. Yes there are some other brands but with a price tag north of $100K they still are not suitable for SERIOUS off road work, in off the show room spec. I have a New Age 16' Manta Ray Deluxe which is supposidly rated as off road. I have had to put better bash plates on all water tanks (clean and grey). Taken anything underneath that has been screwed and changed to bolted. Lagged every pipe again as the lagging is not thick enough for stones. Rerouted the electric brake wires as they were exposed. Things to look for is if cabinets are stappled then forget the dirt roads, it needs to be screwed and glued at a minimum.

Just like a 4WD, you need to determine where you want to take the van and then do the appropriate beefing up to make sure it will survive.

Mine has done, Old Coach Road, Beach run at Cape LE Grande, Tanami Road, Old Eyre Highway, Great Central Road, Meekathara to Mt Augustus and then out to Coral Bay via the Milyaka Roadhouse route, the GAwler Ranges National Park just to name a few places. It handled it all OK but then it is not a big van and although heavy for its size, is well within the vehicles capacity. (ie car is Landrover D4 with 3.5t genuine towing capacity, and the van weighs 2.5t all loaded up)
AnswerID: 617974

Follow Up By: Shaker - Sunday, Apr 01, 2018 at 20:14

Sunday, Apr 01, 2018 at 20:14
Manufacturers such as Australian Off Road Campers would most likely disagree with you.
FollowupID: 889796

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, Apr 02, 2018 at 14:45

Monday, Apr 02, 2018 at 14:45
Hi David, sounds like to picked the wrong van :-)

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 889813

Follow Up By: Batt's - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 10:24

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 10:24
I thought Kedron Caravans were real off rd vans with off rd warranty not sure what it covers.

What's the off rd towing capacity of your D4 David as some vehicles are down graded a fair amount.
FollowupID: 889863

Follow Up By: David I1 - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 10:34

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 10:34
Dont think I have Macca. Read the warranty. Does it say it covers off road? Or any road AND track in Australia? My warranty is written the same way. And it says drive to the conditions. Now if the warranty said it would cover the van anywhere where a 4WD could go, or on any gazetted track, I would agree with you. But it doesn't. Just because many owners are positive about it and write up about where they have taken them, is not a reason to accept the company would back them up. Look what I have said and look on a NA site on facebook. Many others have as well. This aspect of warranty and misnaming and almost deliberate disception by manufacturers, salespeople and dealers (not saying AOR is by the way) is why there are many claims against van manufacturers in the courts. Also why the ACCC is now looking closely at the industry. I am happy with my purchase and its now fit for the purpose I wanted. But it did require me to do extra work to get it that way. Luckily not a lot in $$$ so it was cheaper than an AOR in the end and by far better fitted out and suits my requirements better.
FollowupID: 889864

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Apr 01, 2018 at 20:42

Sunday, Apr 01, 2018 at 20:42
It depends where you want to take a caravan LazyLux. I do know some people who have Goldstream off road models and are happy with them for roads like the Gibb River Road and Cape York Peninsula. However if your are thinking of tracks like the Anne Beadell for example, I would not recommend you take any caravan.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 617977

Reply By: David I1 - Sunday, Apr 01, 2018 at 21:35

Sunday, Apr 01, 2018 at 21:35
off road campers are NOT caravans.
AnswerID: 617979

Follow Up By: Member - John T (Tamworth NSW) - Monday, Apr 02, 2018 at 09:24

Monday, Apr 02, 2018 at 09:24
David,
Might I suggest that a look at AOR’s website should enlighten you with regards to the products that the company produces. All are top of the range and certainly qualify as “off road”.

Cheers

John
John T (Lifetime Member)
VKS-737 Mobile 2619
Selcall 2619
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours" - Richard Bach in "Illusions"

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 889803

Follow Up By: David I1 - Monday, Apr 02, 2018 at 10:31

Monday, Apr 02, 2018 at 10:31
Have a look at their warranty page. Does it mention off road? Have a look at the exclusions, you could drive a truck through them, to exclude any damage caused by off road driving. It is almost the same warranty I have on mine, and I can tell you its not a true off road van. The exclusions almost mean you can only drive it on a smooth surface! In any case they question asked was about the brands mentioned not AOR. I have looked at one when I was considering and the main issue with pop tops is that the structual strength is compromised to some degree because there is no bracing and structual strength that a roof can offer. Its like a soft top car. It then requires a lot of additional work to make it strong and not flex too much. Once you start to get on angles and flexing starts to happen, they they are not nearly as good, and things start to come adrift. Also have a look at their definition of "Off road" in their warranty inclusions and exclusions. I did a lot of research before I chose what I did. Its not ideal but handles what i want to do, now I have modded it up. AOR was initially on my list but for what you pay and what you can do with it, UNDER WARRANTY, not what is said by some slick salesperson or whats loosely written on some web site, just does not compare with what other caravans give you. Yes it might go a little further because its not so high, but if I wanted to do serious off road 4wding, with some of the niceties of a van I would contemplate a proper off roadcamper trailer, which is far more fit for the purpose..
FollowupID: 889804

Follow Up By: CSeaJay - Monday, Apr 02, 2018 at 16:54

Monday, Apr 02, 2018 at 16:54
David,
I can write an essay but in short you are simply wrong. Huge difference between true offroad caravans and normal ones. AOR is just one, actually and practically encouraging their owners to share offorad adventures (and I mean offroad by it's true definition) and the owners themselves leading from the front. No warrenty issues whatsoever from "offroad use", to the contrary.
But you obviously have made up your mind.
FollowupID: 889824

Reply By: splits - Sunday, Apr 01, 2018 at 21:38

Sunday, Apr 01, 2018 at 21:38
Problem my Hilux towing capacity only 2250kg.
----------------------------------

You may think that towing capacity is not enough but if you ask Toyota, don't be surprised if they say to come down well below it in off road conditions. The maximum advertised towing capacity is usually for good sealed roads only. Off sealed road conditions will always increase the stress on cars. Just how much the increase will be depends on the conditions.

I have not asked Toyota but I have seen an email from Land Rover saying the 3500 kg towing capacity of their Defender comes down to only 1500 kg in off road conditions.

If you want to be able to drive down any dirt road or track that the car and van are capable of rolling over then keep the size and weight of the van down as low as possible.

A major point to keep in mind in off road conditions is the tow ball weight. Big vans have big ball weights. High weights so far back behind the axle will be flexing the end of your chassis up and down as the wheels rise and fall on uneven surfaces. This can be the result. Chassis Damage

Read the towing instructions in the handbook of your car. I have two Hiluxes and the book for both of them say a weight distribution hitch is essential for any ball weight above half the maximum. A WDH is the only thing that can add support to the far end of your chassis. Stiffer rear springs or air bags can't do it.

It is easy enough to install a WDH but they can cause a lot of damage if the angle between the car and van exceeds a certain limit. This restricts their use in many off road conditions.

You rarely see a WDH on a cab chassis ute towing a camper trailer for this reason but bent chassis on the those towing big campers with high ball weights are common.

Do a lot of research first be you buy anything and don't let your heart rule your head..
AnswerID: 617980

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, Apr 02, 2018 at 14:50

Monday, Apr 02, 2018 at 14:50
Hi splits, WDH are not recommenced for off road use, they place too much stress on the vehicle in off road conditions.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 889815

Follow Up By: splits - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2018 at 20:06

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2018 at 20:06
That is what I said so you rarely see them in off road conditions. The problem is though some car manufacturers say they must be used above certain ball wights.

I doubt if many owners read the towing instructions in the car's handbook so they are not aware of this. This means many are running around the bush with ball weights above the no WDH limit. I have no doubt this has been a contributing factor in many cases of chassis bending.

The book for my car says a maximum ball weight of 180 kg and a WDH must be used for anything above 90 kg. The maximum towing capacity is 1800 kg.

The Hilux in question here is the model after mine. As the OP said it has a 2250 kg towing capacity. If Toyota says the maximum ball weight is 225 kg and a ball weight above half that must have a WDH, then that will rule out many off road vans and camper trailers.

That is why I mentioned it. I don't want to see any more bent chassis.

The second last one that I saw was at William Creek on the Oodnadatta Track..
It was a dual cab towing a caravan and it was not using a WDH.. The owner said it had a ball weight of 220 kg. It was not a Toyota but its maximum ball weight would have been well above that.
FollowupID: 889848

Reply By: Ron N - Sunday, Apr 01, 2018 at 22:11

Sunday, Apr 01, 2018 at 22:11
LAZYLUX16 - She might be happy with one of these? (links below).

Well within the capabilities of the Hilux - and it also comes with shower and toilet!!
This is surely enough to keep her interested in camping out?

Armor A12 off-road pop-top caravan

Keep an eye on Graysonline, these appear for auction occasionally.

Graysonline auction - Armor A12 pop-top off-road caravan

Cheers, Ron
AnswerID: 617982

Follow Up By: Zippo - Monday, Apr 02, 2018 at 13:28

Monday, Apr 02, 2018 at 13:28
Just had a browse of the pics in the dealer ad. Looks nice, but a bit of grunt would be required to lift that dual-spare assembly back up, wouldn't want to have a dodgy back!
FollowupID: 889808

Follow Up By: Ron N - Monday, Apr 02, 2018 at 20:08

Monday, Apr 02, 2018 at 20:08
Zippo, I don't think the spares setup is one piece - I think that each spare is mounted on an individual carrier.

One tyre and carrier alone is certainly enough for most people to lift up - but perhaps the setup has spring-assisted tyre carriers to ease the lift?

I haven't checked this unit out in person, I only just noticed it on the auction site a few days ago.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 889828

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2018 at 08:09

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2018 at 08:09
They both lift together & have very strong gas strut assistance.
FollowupID: 889837

Follow Up By: Zippo - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2018 at 09:53

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2018 at 09:53
Thanks for that clarification, Shaker.
FollowupID: 889839

Reply By: Shaker - Sunday, Apr 01, 2018 at 23:27

Sunday, Apr 01, 2018 at 23:27
You mentioned tenting, what does your wife want out of a van, if she just wants better comfort, a hard roof & excellent off road performance you couldn’t go past a Vista RV Crossover, or if she doesn’t mind some canvas maybe a Track Tvan, if she wants internal shower & toilet then possibly an AORC Quantum, many of which have done the Anne Beadell albeit with some severe bush pinstriping.
The Chinese caravans seem to be improving but are still too heavy, for instance the Ezytrail Parkes 13 has a tare weight of 2140kg whereas the AORC Quantum up to series 3 is around 1670kg.
AnswerID: 617984

Follow Up By: LAZYLUX16 - Monday, Apr 02, 2018 at 08:45

Monday, Apr 02, 2018 at 08:45
Thanks Shaker , yeh first one I saw was Ezytrail, great set up really wanted it but too heavy for my Hiliux..I try to keep out of Jails in Mexico and churches.
FollowupID: 889800

Reply By: Gbc.. - Monday, Apr 02, 2018 at 06:29

Monday, Apr 02, 2018 at 06:29
A workmate has the same model hilux. He ended up with an mdc xt12 hrt. It gives him 400 odd kg to play with in loading. He likes it and it is lighter than the pop tops.
AnswerID: 617985

Reply By: Member - lyndon NT - Monday, Apr 02, 2018 at 07:25

Monday, Apr 02, 2018 at 07:25
If she has been used to a tent get her a Tvan. It will seem luxurious in comparison.
The Hilux will be able to tow it and you can take it to most destinations.
The reality with any van regardless of the tow vehicle is it will prevent you from seeing the majority of the county. If you really want to be able to get to most places and you have a van, you will need to go back to the tent and a set up that allows you to travel independently of the the van for a week or so.
Oh, and if you can only travel with the van you will be sharing your space with a LOT of other people!

Good luck.
Cheers
Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

AnswerID: 617986

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Apr 02, 2018 at 07:43

Monday, Apr 02, 2018 at 07:43
Sorry to say Lazylux, but you will never get the answer to your question on a forum with a 3 line description of your requirement. There are 1000 caravans and campers out there and 10,000 opinions.

The only way to decide what you want is to go to a caravan show and get a short list of your needs. IMHO you need to go 2 - 3 times because your perceived needs will change as you learn what you want and how expensive things are.

The biggies IMHO are

Inside or outside kitchen
Set up and tear down times
Shower or not shower
How off road do you want it to be?
Weights and sizes
How many people.
How long will you go away per trip?

No one can give you recommendations until they ( and you) understand these issues and more).

Don't rush, whatever you think you need right now is probably wrong. Buying is a journey.
AnswerID: 617987

Follow Up By: LAZYLUX16 - Monday, Apr 02, 2018 at 09:03

Monday, Apr 02, 2018 at 09:03
I have down a ton of research and the brands I mentioned are in low weight category and seem common brands in Australia so a lot more testimonials on them And thought get some more first hand experience here on those brands.And not overpriced. Cheers for your advice
FollowupID: 889801

Reply By: Crusier 91 - Monday, Apr 02, 2018 at 09:00

Monday, Apr 02, 2018 at 09:00
Out of the 4 you mentioned, Goldstream is the pick.
Goldstream
Phoenix
Bushtracker
Trackmaster
Supreme Getaway
Are top picks for off roading.
Pros
Open the van door and that's pretty much it. Unless you have to pop the top.
Cons
Weight
Maneuverability
May have to dump van to access some spots, then double back to collect van
Be prepared to spend more $$$$ once you purchased any van and on the vehicle
Storage when not in use
Tow vehicle fuel consumption
Tow vehicle payload
Van payload............some have a couple 100kgs only which is not much whatsoever.
Van ball weight
It really depends on where you want to go.
I went from really wanting a 18ft bushtracker (3t +) to purchasing a Tvan (1300kgs).....miles apart. I didn't want to tow a van that weighs more than my vehicle.
The full van is very appealing but didn't suit where I wanted to go.
Consider the time spending setting up and packing up when on the move
Dustproofing a must.
What's the budget?
For the Hilux...................a 12-13ft Surpeme Getaway would be a good match.
AnswerID: 617989

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Monday, Apr 02, 2018 at 12:18

Monday, Apr 02, 2018 at 12:18
We have a Supreme Getaway 1995. Bought 2nd. hand It is a pop top. We wouldn't go any later in the Supreme make as the build standard changed.
We're very happy with ours only no shower, we use a porta-potti inside.
It is very good.
No aircon. but we were on a tight budget , aircon on a poptop roof is a bit heavy and a good fan did the trick. It has been on very rough roads.
Don't be fooled that buying new will let you get a good price when selling.
In Queensland now, the Police are very hot on weight on the Towball.
Take care, Safe travels. Ma.
FollowupID: 889807

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Monday, Apr 02, 2018 at 13:50

Monday, Apr 02, 2018 at 13:50
"We wouldn't go any later in the Supreme make as the build standard changed."
Same story here Pa,Ma.
Think they still make my 2001 Coromal 505 Offroad which has held together very well over some rough tracks. Different build now.
Dave.
FollowupID: 889809

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Monday, Apr 02, 2018 at 15:06

Monday, Apr 02, 2018 at 15:06
I forgot to mention the East West bed is a bit short if you're a bloke over 6 feet tall!
Yes, we liked the Coromal earlier ones and Trackmaster .
The Bushtracker was up in the "out of our price range" group even though they are great they're also too heavy for our 80 series Toyota.
Take care, safe travels.Ma.
FollowupID: 889818

Follow Up By: LAZYLUX16 - Monday, Apr 02, 2018 at 21:38

Monday, Apr 02, 2018 at 21:38
Cruser 91.Yep taken into consideration all those factors filling my brain with a lot of info .Some of the brands you mentioned not cheap.Even a secondhand Goldstream not cheap.I have found one 2011 32k Shower and toilet aircon 16inch wheels and so called offroad independent suspension.Not heavy and 15ft long. Like the fact still feels like camping and lots of airflow. Caravans seem a bit claustrophobic and sterile.Thanks for all your advice too.
FollowupID: 889832

Follow Up By: mike39 - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2018 at 13:01

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2018 at 13:01
Pa & Ma.
Yes, fully agree about the Supreme Getaway, but I think it was around 2000 that the build quality fell off. I think that they actually discontinued the Getaway manufacture shortly after that date.
We have a 1996 15' model that has travelled over 150000 km. of rough to no road conditions in the 10 years we have owned her, the previous owner from new about 50000km. on his reckoning.
Ours has a queen bed, split system a/c, hot water with outside shower, 4 burner stove with oven/grill, plenty of stage space in cupboards and under bed.
Although a pop top, Getaways are extremely strongly built by using a full steel tub trailer on which the van is built.
All screwed and glued on a timber frame, internal cupboards etc. are 5/16" marine ply.
At 20 years of age nothing is loose or rattling, no dust gets in and we are just about ready for this winter outback trip.
mike
FollowupID: 889842

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2018 at 13:51

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2018 at 13:51
Mike,
I've been having a little look for LazyLux and have found a smaller Supreme Getaway like the one we have only 1998, I think so you may be right, we wanted a larger one with a shower & toilet inside but it was too heavy for our 80 series so would think also too heavy for the Hilux.
They're pretty hard to find 2nd. hand before the change of make .Are you accross the ditch at present?
Take care, safe travels. Ma.
FollowupID: 889843

Follow Up By: Jayme p - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2018 at 19:59

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2018 at 19:59
We have a 2007 supreme getaway for sale, it's the same build as the older ones (extremely strongly built by using a full steel tub) just a duel axle version. I think it's the last year they built them like this. It is heavy for an 18ft van at 2.6t loaded but it tows awesome and not gonna break in a hurry
If anyone is interested in one contact me
We are currently in Bridgetown WA managing the caravan park for a few months.
FollowupID: 889847

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, Apr 02, 2018 at 15:02

Monday, Apr 02, 2018 at 15:02
Lazylux16, Boobook has nailed it. I also think that for your vehicle, a Goldstream 1760 series full off road van is the way to go. I have been to the factory that makes their chassis, and was very impressed with the strength and workmanship with the build.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 617999

Follow Up By: LAZYLUX16 - Monday, Apr 02, 2018 at 21:44

Monday, Apr 02, 2018 at 21:44
McLaren3030, I found a Goldstream 2011 ST 5 Berth not heavy all offroad suspension 16 inch wheels 2 spares on back, aircoon. They want 32k alot of dough if I know resale value good in another few years I would buy it. Hard to find so that good sign but the Jaycos seem dime a dozen. Is factory in S.A. and are they all Aussie build.
Thanks Macca
FollowupID: 889833

Follow Up By: Crusier 91 - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2018 at 08:37

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2018 at 08:37
Lazy, if you've pinpointed roughly what brand you want, it would be worth checking out dedicated forums for the brand. You can find a wealth of info from owners, the good and the bad.
https://caravanersforum.com/
There are a few more around.
Good luck
Cheers
FollowupID: 889838

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 11:52

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 11:52
Lazylux, that does not sound like a full off road van. Goldstream has three versions of most of their vans, On Road, Semi Off Road & Full Off Road. They also put out a Rhino Extreme Off Road series. The difference is in the chassis & suspension.
The ST designator stands for Shower & Toilet.

Without knowing the model series I cannot comment on wether it is suitable for off road use or not. Also if there is only two of you, you do not want the extra weight of a 5 berth van.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 889865

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Apr 02, 2018 at 18:57

Monday, Apr 02, 2018 at 18:57
You need a Tvan.
AnswerID: 618007

Follow Up By: LAZYLUX16 - Monday, Apr 02, 2018 at 22:00

Monday, Apr 02, 2018 at 22:00
The new age look decent and solid good layout too got dealer here in S.A but out of my price range .
FollowupID: 889835

Reply By: RMD - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2018 at 09:32

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2018 at 09:32
If you have to trade/upgrade a tent for an offroad caravan, then I agree with the "dear wife" bit.
AnswerID: 618013

Reply By: Members Pa & Ma. - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2018 at 11:09

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2018 at 11:09
LazyLux?,
Not trying to be rude, but understandably you don't give your wife's reasons.
We started camping in a swag when young & up graded as we aged.
The main reason being flapping canvas in very strong winds & continually having to get up during the night to wrestle with the tent to tie it back down in these sometimes wet strong winds. There doesn't seem to be a member message to contact you if you are a bit embarrased to say . It would help if we knew what put your wife off of tents so badly.
AnswerID: 618017

Follow Up By: LAZYLUX16 - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2018 at 17:47

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2018 at 17:47
WE got struck by obscenely cold weather in Alice Springs and then instead of going across Tanami as road closed ended up in Darwin where it was not usual dry season still very hot.It was constant unpacking /packing.Our tent is fantastic blow up solid as a rock like a Tardis inside and only 5 minutes max to setup.Looking for stuff too becomes hassle, even though well organised as been camping for a living since 18 years old.Wondering what you mean by member message to contact , cheers Steve
FollowupID: 889844

Follow Up By: KevinE - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2018 at 20:50

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2018 at 20:50
Steve, like you we were tenting. We did the camper trailer thing, then the caravan thing, now we've just completed the full circle, we're back to a tent!

I'm hearing you loud & clear about freezing nights in AS! The coldest night that I've spent anywhere was in the G'day Mate CP in a tent! (even colder than Coober Pedy in a tent in winter, or in a tent in Cobar during a frost!) But I could have (read; should have) spent a few extra bucks & got a room.

Yes, it can be hot in a tent in the tropics, but not unbearable.

A caravan is a way more organised way to travel than tenting, for sure. But (BIG BUT), they are VERY restrictive as to where you can & can't go.

I liked the easiness of the caravan, but resented the change in how we travel.

All the best! :)
FollowupID: 889850

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 11:44

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 11:44
If you want to get into remote places with convenience and some comfort, forget towing anything and get yourself a 4WD motorhome :)

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome.
AnswerID: 618037

Follow Up By: LAZYLUX16 - Thursday, Apr 05, 2018 at 22:38

Thursday, Apr 05, 2018 at 22:38
Hi P n M If you got free one to give away..I tried asking my friend build me one. still waiting..
FollowupID: 889923

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Apr 06, 2018 at 10:55

Friday, Apr 06, 2018 at 10:55
I had to build my own. Some advantages in that as you get what you want too.
But in general terms, they don't cost any more than a decent tug combined with a decent off road caravan (either new or second hand), but are certainly more capable in terms of where they will go.

Cheers,
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 889928

Follow Up By: Nifty1 - Friday, Apr 06, 2018 at 12:34

Friday, Apr 06, 2018 at 12:34
I wondered how long it would be before the 4WD motorhome was suggested! That's what we bought, after tents, motels, a caravan, and camper trailer - all were great experiences at the time. 4WD Hilux diesel, so it's small enough to park in town, cheap to run and fix, has cooking inside or out, QS bed, and just enough storage, and just enough GVM for our needs. It's an ex-hire unit and I have modified it to suit us with diesel heater, longrange fuel tank, water and grey water tanks, solar, bike rack, better fridge-freezer etc. It already has a 240v aircon but we never use it as we mostly free camp. Yes, it has disadvantages - we can't take a kayak with us, and of course you don't have the option of setting up a base camp and doing day trips, as everything comes with you.
FollowupID: 889930

Reply By: Members Pa & Ma. - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 12:21

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 12:21
LazyLux16, Ma here,
In answer to your Member Message Question.
If you were a member I could have Member messaged you or you could have Member messaged me just between us.
I also had been looking for you and was going to let you know of 1 but it was a small one. I didn't think we could do that on E.O.
Hope you have some luck.
AnswerID: 618042

Reply By: Member - abqaiq - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2018 at 07:35

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2018 at 07:35
Look at an Ellis Base Camp from Ellis Rec Vehicles near Caloundra. Paul Ellis (an honest business man) builds serious off-road units. We could not be happier with ours. The Base Camp LIght model (we have) weights 1000 Kgs with 650 kgs capacity..
AnswerID: 618220

Sponsored Links