high lift kit

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 26, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1365 Views:1634 Replies:9 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have recently purchased a GQ nissan patrol diesel. I have been told by people that have had 4wd for a while that I need a 2" lift kit. I live in Melbourne and the only 4wd that I do at the moment is in the victorian high country.I have been told that koni shokers and king springs are the way to go, since they last a long time and can take a bit of punishment.
Could you give me other opinions and why, and any 4wd place that installs the products that you recomend, so that I can hopefully make the right decision.
Thank you all for your help in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Brett - Thursday, Jun 27, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jun 27, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Cippol,
Go and have a talk to the guys at your local ARB outlet and they will set you straight on what you need! I have spent $$$$ on differnt springs and shocks in the past few years and had nothing but trouble with most of the so called top 4x4 shocks! The only shocks that have lasted more than a few months on my car are the OME ! I won't touch anything else now!
AnswerID: 4452

Reply By: troy - Thursday, Jun 27, 2002 at 00:00

Cippol,

You dont NEED anything. It all comes down to what you want to do with your rig and then building it accordingly.

Try to ride in a few different 4x4's with the various suspension set ups. ARB will have a car, as will TJM, so on and so on.

I have heard good things about Koni's also.

Personally I believe Rancho's are the best solution, as they are adjustable while they are on the car - can dial them up for touring, and soften them right down for rock crawling. Its all horses for courses.

As to lift height - again depends what you need it for. The 6" rancho lift is an awesome set up - but costly, certainly if you are not in danger of using it to its full potential. 2" is a "standard" lift.

Sorry to not answer your question directly ! but its all about what suits you and your requirements!

AnswerID: 4456

Reply By: Gordon Davey - Thursday, Jun 27, 2002 at 00:00

Cippol, I agree with Troy, Horses for courses, so to speak. I have been there and wasted plenty of dollars, what I have come up with in the end is a soft set of springs(especially made,to the constant that I wanted-comfortable ride) with Rancho 9000, yes it does cost a few dollars, but you only get what you pay for.When you get springs ask them what the constant is,I bet they cant or won't tell you,If the constant is not close to the specs. in the nissan manual you will end up with a hard ride.
Why do you need to raise the vehicle 2", it only raises the centre of gravity,and puts more strain on the drive train etc.
AnswerID: 4464

Reply By: Tim - Thursday, Jun 27, 2002 at 00:00

I also own qg, and thought about a lift kit. However on a recent trip to Landcruiser M. Park I was doing a track that was so badly rutted away, that i would have had roll over fears if my centre of gravity was any higher. What sort of terrain is a lift kit suited for? And what about a body lift, is that a better option? What conditions are the tracks like in the high country, I'm planning a trip down there early to mid next year, any suggestions for vehicle setup? I have a gq st 2.8 td.
AnswerID: 4466

Follow Up By: Troy - Friday, Jun 28, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jun 28, 2002 at 00:00
I think you will find a superior suspension set up (which may involve various amounts of lift) will result in addiitional wheel travel.

Additional wheel travel will keep your wheels on the ground for longer. Wheels on the ground equal traction, traction will prevent you from rolling. So higher does not necessarily mean more likely to roll. Lack of wheel travel + height will promote rollovers.

A body lift on the other hand will raise your vehicle height, and wont change wheel travel a milliimetre. Now thats rollover opportunity.
FollowupID: 1913

Reply By: Kezza - Thursday, Jun 27, 2002 at 00:00

Chances are that your springs have sagged and somebody has logically suggested you need a lift kit rather than just replacing the springs.
Using the right springs with a good balance between front and rear (keep the front about 10-20mm lower than the rear) a 2-3" lift will be the best thing you can do. Yes centre of gravity will change - but Guess what? With the wide track of the GQ you will be heaps better off than a lot of lifted cruisers and others. So enjoy and play - you will learn what your limits are- Just do lots of homework gotta find somebody with a store that is right into patrols and even owns a lifted GQ of their own find a passionate mechanic and youll be in good hands -I know a few in Qld and Sydney sadly none down your way

kezza
AnswerID: 4475

Reply By: Alpaca - Friday, Jun 28, 2002 at 00:00

Gday Cippol. I have done a couple of trips to most parts of the High Country plus plenty of other Outback places so I thought I'd throw my lot in. I drive a 60 series Cruiser with leaf springs front and back with the only modification being an extra leaf. Rarely have I bottomed out or suffered from lack of suspension travel. If you keep it simple, you are less likely to break down and parts if you need them are more readily available. It might mean that you pick your wheel tracks a bit more carefully and drive more slowly (Especially with leaf springs) but you get to see more things with less damage to the enviroment. Who knows, if the greenies don't close off the track they might still be open next time you want to go there. Cya Alpaca
AnswerID: 4480

Reply By: Tony- Friday, Jun 28, 2002 at 00:00

Cippol, it sounds to me that you are new to 4WDing. Before you change suspension, talk to your insurance company (if you have or intend to insure your vehicle) first!!! Many insurance companies will only allow up to 2 inch lift, be it body or suspension but not both. There are other companies that will insure you, but you may have to search around. I know of one company that will allow a lift of allmost 2 inches total. Hit 2 inches and you're insurance is history!!
AnswerID: 4484

Reply By: CLIVE BLAKELY - Friday, Jun 28, 2002 at 00:00

With your vehicle you do not need to change springs if you can obtain 50/60 mm below the bump stops with all accessories fitted and a full load.
Check this clearance and then make your decision.
Most aftermarket suspensions lift the vehicle 50 mm above standard.
The insurance companies will accept this if you obtain a certificate from the installer stating its integrity.
Enforcer springs are the same as king springs and the most well priced.
As to shockers,on a recent Canning stock route trip the konis failed at the eye weld,the ironman leaked at the seals,and the arb units performed without problems(as did the enforcer springs).
AnswerID: 4489

Reply By: Peter - Tuesday, Aug 06, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Aug 06, 2002 at 00:00
I know I'm probably too late but my advice is
DON'T TOUCH THE VEHICLE
until you join a car club - preferably the Nissan Club.

There you will have plenty of opportunities to talk with other owners and to see their vehicles in action, and probably to ride in their vehicles so that you learn the (dis)advantages of any modification before you shell out you hard earned $$$.

Peter L (Landcruiser owner)
AnswerID: 5452

Sponsored Links