Blog Review: To Be or Not To Be a Knucklehead – Good Campfire Etiquette

My Blog Rating: My Rating 4/5

absolutley true .well written, too bad you cant catch up with them and just let them know how easy a bit of commonsense is.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: 17 South - Saturday, Apr 07, 2018 at 07:37

Saturday, Apr 07, 2018 at 07:37
To true al V, and you got to throw it out there... When I go out to the Simpson I always go up onto Big Red and question people about their tyre pressures for an hour or so before heading off... Some get quite shirty about being asked to start their tyres at 20psi and work down from there...
One dude goes - whateva mate I can rip over the dunes with 26psi -
i said, that's great bud, but I'm not sure every sand dune appreciates being 3 inches shorter after you've passed through...
His response... you WA c@*nts think you're so smart f@*k off
I said - OK then, sorry about that, but what about that 20psi?
oh f@*k off he says
-
worse thing is, this is all about ego, nothing else. the fact that he's been criticised is a mortal sin never to be forgiven and it's not even relevant - but he's quite happy to go ahead wreaking havoc on a very fragile landscape

Wildling from the North

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 618093

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, Apr 07, 2018 at 08:17

Saturday, Apr 07, 2018 at 08:17
I hate to say it 17 South but who's ego are you referring to? Yours or theirs?

You say you go up to Big Red for an hour or so and question people about their Tyre pressures, no wonder you get the responses you get. Who made you the pressure police?

If I saw someone going around to every vehicle, probing the owner about pressure I'd say something like

you WA c@*nts think you're so smart f@*k off
I said - OK then, sorry about that, but what about that 20psi?
oh f@*k off

I hope you don't go around with a tyre pressure gauge measuring their tyre pressure too. But it sounds like that is exactly what you would do.

Sure we all know about about appropriate tyre pressures ( or think we do) but some friendly advice to novices when you see them in trouble is appropriate, not policing the top of Big Red handing out unwanted and probably incorrect intervention.

Shees. EO do gooding moves from the Internet to the real world.

FollowupID: 889943

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Saturday, Apr 07, 2018 at 08:18

Saturday, Apr 07, 2018 at 08:18
Who and what actually gives YOU the right and authority ' whenever I go up onto big red and question people on their tire pressures for an hour or so ' AND lecture them .....
FollowupID: 889944

Follow Up By: garrycol - Saturday, Apr 07, 2018 at 12:25

Saturday, Apr 07, 2018 at 12:25
"Who and what actually gives YOU the right and authority ' whenever I go up onto big red and question people on their tire pressures for an hour or so ' AND lecture them ....."

Being a silly ole fart know it all gives him the authority - lol - well actually it is sad.

If engaged in conversation and the topic of tyre pressures comes up - all good to ask but to act like a Nazi is different.
FollowupID: 889948

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Saturday, Apr 07, 2018 at 12:48

Saturday, Apr 07, 2018 at 12:48
One of my dreams to drive up BIG RED so I can put a sticker on the rear window of my tug.
Dave.
FollowupID: 889949

Follow Up By: 17 South - Saturday, Apr 07, 2018 at 13:21

Saturday, Apr 07, 2018 at 13:21
Fair enough fellas - but ripping up the fragile desert environment because you’re too lazy to let down your tyres doesn’t really fly as an excuse and yes it needs to be policed... really quite sad in this day and age but true. There is national parks committee which is currently reviewing the closure or balloting of the Simpson Desert crossing precisely because of this very problem and why I have no compunction taking issue with people who continue to ignore the tyres pressure guidelines in the Desert Parks Pass and signage at the entry pints to the desert environment.... anyway I stand admonished... cheers
Wildling from the North

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 889950

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, Apr 07, 2018 at 16:35

Saturday, Apr 07, 2018 at 16:35
Would that be the same committee that has been considering banning trailers as highlighted in this post?
Parks to ban trailers in Simpson Desert soon
FollowupID: 889957

Follow Up By: 17 South - Saturday, Apr 07, 2018 at 22:20

Saturday, Apr 07, 2018 at 22:20
Hi Tony,
I'm not sure if it is the same committee, but most assuredly camper trailers are also highlighted for potential banning. As a regular Simpson trekker I was asked to feedback on the impact of 4WDs (only) on the crossing of the desert to which I did - probably not to the liking of many travellers... but I for one am especially tired of the the wanton destruction of the desert environment caused by people who fail to follow the recommendations by the SA/Qld Parks - which for better or for worse is aimed at the long term sustainability of the Simpson Desert... For most people this is a once in a lifetime journey, for some of us it is a regular crossing and for others it is a journey they wish to share with their children and their grand-children, so longevity of the desert environment it is paramount, unfortunately longevity is a concept that seems to elude most of us...
Wildling from the North

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 889968

Follow Up By: 17 South - Sunday, Apr 08, 2018 at 04:08

Sunday, Apr 08, 2018 at 04:08
And just to clarify from earlier - question people was the wrong turn of phrase. It is talking to people about their pressures and why it is good practice to start at 20psi and work down and what it means for the future of the desert and our access to it.
Wildling from the North

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 889975

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Sunday, Apr 08, 2018 at 10:15

Sunday, Apr 08, 2018 at 10:15
Still “sticking your nose in where it is not wanted”. Asking a question regarding tyre pressure is one thing, then going on to give people a “lecture” is something else, and likely to lead to an altercation.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 890002

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, Apr 08, 2018 at 10:44

Sunday, Apr 08, 2018 at 10:44
Could you please point me to the committee you are referring to 17 South?

I took the trouble to call a ranger for the Simpson, qualifying the recommendation about trailers some time ago. The response was interesting..

The ranger said that the main reason that they strongly discourage trailers is that lots of inexperienced people were taking inappropriate trailers and getting into trouble, or breaking the trailer then dumping them, if people had a lot of sand experience with a purpose built off road camper trailer, and appropriate tow vehicle, then they should generally be fine, also travel with another vehicle.

I asked about track damage with trailers. She said ALL vehicles cause track damage, especially toward the end of the season and on the French line, its just a fact of life with vehicles on soft sand, just stay on the tracks.

Basically GO FOR IT!

FollowupID: 890006

Sponsored Links