Blog Comment: To Be or Not To Be a Knucklehead – Good Campfire Etiquette

Sorry, I think no fire is reasonable in the areas you have addressed, unless you carry all of your fuel in with you from outside the desert region (not something anyone s likely to do beyond the first night).
You want to show some kind of moral high ground about fire etiquette, yet go about utilising timber in an area it is scarce and valuable for wildlife.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: 17 South - Saturday, Apr 07, 2018 at 22:05

Saturday, Apr 07, 2018 at 22:05
Hi silkwood,
as stated the collection of firewood is specifically en route in the article and as directed by the SA National Parks - so reference to timber within an area is somewhat vague and not entirely on point...
Wildling from the North

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 618116

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Sunday, Apr 08, 2018 at 09:47

Sunday, Apr 08, 2018 at 09:47
Silkwood, we always carry firewood, either picked up outside the National Park, or pre cut in plastic milk crates from home. We carry enough wood for at least 5 days/nights. We cook on an open fire all the time (unless in No Fire zone/Fire ban days). Have done the Simpson twice in the past and going again next week. We will once again carry our own wood, and have a fire each night in a “box BBQ”.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 618125

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Sunday, Apr 08, 2018 at 10:57

Sunday, Apr 08, 2018 at 10:57
We carry a meter to a meter and a half of timber whenever we go out. Nothing worse than scrounging firewood at the end of the day. We also only light a fire if it's needed. Just got back from a week in outback SA and only had a fire two nights.
AnswerID: 618130

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Apr 08, 2018 at 11:08

Sunday, Apr 08, 2018 at 11:08
Yes Ivan, We usually have a fire if in company as it is nice to sit around it yarning.
But when on our own we only make a fire if using the camp oven etc. as we usually hit the sack early.
If we see some useful firewood during the day we chuck it onboard ready for later use.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 890008

Reply By: Member - silkwood - Monday, Apr 09, 2018 at 23:15

Monday, Apr 09, 2018 at 23:15
I'm curious, where exactly "outside the area" do you collect this firewood? When you leave a major city? The majority of areas en route to the Simpson are themselves considered desert. I'm sure there are a few who take their firewood with them form well outside this area, but I doubt they are anywhere near a majority.
AnswerID: 618190

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Tuesday, Apr 10, 2018 at 09:58

Tuesday, Apr 10, 2018 at 09:58
Silkwood, on our last Simpson Desert trip, we actually collected our entire trips worth of wood from the banks of the Murray River near Mildura. Three weeks supply on the roof of two of the vehicles. We always use a box BBQ, so only had small fires and did not stay up very late. We may be in the minority, but you can enjoy a fire and be responsible at the same time.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 890113

Follow Up By: Member - silkwood - Tuesday, Apr 10, 2018 at 14:12

Tuesday, Apr 10, 2018 at 14:12
"you can enjoy a fire and be responsible at the same time."

In that instance I can totally agree Macca.
FollowupID: 890120

Reply By: Ron N - Tuesday, Apr 10, 2018 at 11:51

Tuesday, Apr 10, 2018 at 11:51
Don't the National Parks and Wildlife crews supply a suitable and readily-available source of firewood, in the shape of of a good supply of wooden posts and wooden signs? - along with the fabulous Main Roads, regular supply of wooden white guide posts? - so the knuckledraggers can regularly indulge in a roaring bonfire, that can be seen for 5 kms?

No need to drag all that firewood all that distance, you just need to use what's at hand!

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 618202

Follow Up By: Member - silkwood - Tuesday, Apr 10, 2018 at 14:14

Tuesday, Apr 10, 2018 at 14:14
And if that fails, there is always the occasional Ford Ranger with a DPF issue!
FollowupID: 890121

Sponsored Links