OBERON AND REGION

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 11, 2018 at 17:43
ThreadID: 136532 Views:3210 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I wish to travel up to Oberon from Goulbourn with a 21ft caravan then up to Lithgow or up to Bathurst my concern is a overhead rock formation ,can anyone give me the coordinates for this structure please.
Also is the road suitable for a 21ft van.
Cheers Reggy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael H9 - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2018 at 19:13

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2018 at 19:13
I can't recall an overhead rock structure on the road from Goulburn to Oberon and I've done the road quite a few times. Are you thinking of the tunnel on the Wombeyan Caves road? That road is really not suitable for a van. The main road from Goulburn to Oberon is a nice road, tar all the way with a couple of switchbacks down near the river. Ok for a van in my opinion.
AnswerID: 618228

Reply By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2018 at 19:30

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2018 at 19:30
hi cliff,
road from Goulbourn to Oberon is no problem ,all tarred, has been for a few years.
no overhangs on this bit but a total of about 6-7 km of a very steep and twisty decent into then a steep climb with a couple of switchbacks out of Abercrombie River crossing.
while not recommended for caravans and semis we have had 4 decker stock floats bring stock thru that way.

there are some overhangs on the road from Jenolen Caves to Oberon but you needn't be there.

Oberon to Bathurst no issues
Oberon to Lithgow- we normally travel via Tarana and then towards LakeLyall and then intoLithgow
this is a skinny road with a few steep sections and a couple of 1 lane bridges over the railway line.but all tarred and doable
if you want to go north of lithgow ie Cullen Bullen, Capertee you turn left and head via Rydal( rather then right to lake lyall) then onto the highway near Wallererwang turnoff. again skinny twisty tarred road but quite doable.
hope this helps
regards
Howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 618230

Reply By: Athol W1 - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2018 at 19:31

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2018 at 19:31
Reggy

I have towed a 21ft van on that road without any issues, so long as you drive to the conditions.

There is a long steep drop into the Abercrombie River crossing which is best taken in a very low gear (1st in my case) so as not to overheat the brakes, and then a similarly long climb out again, but as long as it is approached with caution you should not have any problems.

The only over head rock formation that would/could be an issue that I know of in the area is the tunnel on the dirt road from Mittagong to Wombeyan Caves

Regards'
Athol
AnswerID: 618231

Reply By: Member - reggy 2 (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2018 at 19:39

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2018 at 19:39
Thanks people that has to be the tunnel on the Wombeyan road that i was thinking of, thanks also for the road report.
Cheers Reggy
AnswerID: 618232

Follow Up By: Malcom M - Thursday, Apr 12, 2018 at 09:58

Thursday, Apr 12, 2018 at 09:58
Although that road is not recommended for caravans, 100's use it each year anyway.

I'd sure hate to be backing one up after encountering a fallen tree (which happens fairly often).
I've also head on encountered a semi on that road with a monster bulldozer on the trailer. That was interesting...
FollowupID: 890170

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 12, 2018 at 12:59

Thursday, Apr 12, 2018 at 12:59
I also encountered an opposite direction semi, and I was towing a camper trailer. That, too, was interesting.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 890179

Follow Up By: Gronk - Thursday, Apr 12, 2018 at 19:15

Thursday, Apr 12, 2018 at 19:15
Went to Wombeyan 2 weeks ago with a small van....late arvo going in was OK, but Sunday lunchtime coming out we met 17 vehicles going the other way......certainly keeps you on your toes..
My van is only 2m wide, but a big van wouldn't be my idea of fun ??
The tunnel.....no problems with room thru there .
FollowupID: 890194

Sponsored Links