Rail works Tarcoola to Cook

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 21, 2018 at 10:37
ThreadID: 136592 Views:2531 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know if ARTC have started works on upgrading the signalling, and lengthening the loops in the above section?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ron N - Saturday, Apr 21, 2018 at 12:48

Saturday, Apr 21, 2018 at 12:48
Boobook, I can find nothing in any ARTC news, John Holland news, or any construction site news, that indicates any work has been tendered out, or accepted, in the area between Tarcoola and Cook.
Neither is there any discussion of this Tarcoola to Cook upgrade on the Railpage forum.

John Holland have only just started on the Trans-Line upgrade between Adelaide and Tarcoola - and I can't find any news of any funding being allocated to the Tarcoola to Cook section.

As the Trans-Line is important Australian infrastructure, any upgrade required, means that ARTC goes to the Govt to seek additional funding for the upgrade - and the Govt usually assists in that manner.

When the Govt makes a funding contribution, the pollies make sure it's all over the news media. There's a lot of political mileage in handing out taxpayers money.

I must say I'm glad to see Whyalla steel being used for the 60kg rail upgrade.
In this day and age, the Chinese are always the cheapest tenderer as regards steel supply, and too many businesses still accept that cheap Chinese product.

Adelaide to Tarcoola rail upgrade begins - ABC news - April 2018

ARTC - Adelaide to Tarcoola re-railing upgrade

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 618454

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, Apr 21, 2018 at 13:23

Saturday, Apr 21, 2018 at 13:23
Thanks Ron, Interesting. That's all I could find too. I did think that there was work starting to the west too. Maybe next century..

I cant wait for longer loops to come into play.
FollowupID: 890451

Follow Up By: Zippo - Saturday, Apr 21, 2018 at 15:23

Saturday, Apr 21, 2018 at 15:23
Tony & Ron,

A couple of links I use for infrastructure projects:

https://www.nics.gov.au/ and the follow-on infrastructure-priority-list

(usually roads for me, but they cover all categories).
FollowupID: 890455

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Saturday, Apr 21, 2018 at 21:16

Saturday, Apr 21, 2018 at 21:16
We went through Cook a few weeks back and the work huts were empty and the town dead
AnswerID: 618466

Sponsored Links