InReach SE/Explorer

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 21, 2018 at 11:00
ThreadID: 136593 Views:2257 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone have one of these devices and can provide an opinion on their ease of use, value etc.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nifty1 - Saturday, Apr 21, 2018 at 13:14

Saturday, Apr 21, 2018 at 13:14
I have an SE, bought second hand, and I’m very pleased with it. No doubt you have read the info on the web site, and the device behaves exactly as it should. I chose this in preference to a sat phone (expensive) or PLB ( limited functionality) although both are good options if they suit you. Inreach has been great for two way text messaging with multiple parties, and for recording our track so people at home know where we are. We use it in the vehicle, when hiking, and kayaking. It has the emergency SOS feature which we hope never to need, but the text capability means we can call for specific help (like “bring me a new radiator”) if we need it. The interface with the iPhone makes it real easy to use, and somehow it gives you an incredibly detailed map of your location on the phone, down to the exact position of drop dunnies at remote camp locations, well out of phone range. I still haven’t figured out how that is done. We pay about $35 a month when travelling, $6 when stuck at home. Gold Star rating in my book.
AnswerID: 618456

Reply By: Hewy54 - Saturday, Apr 21, 2018 at 15:41

Saturday, Apr 21, 2018 at 15:41
We have had one for about 4 years. No problems with it. Have it linked to an ipad to make sending messages easier. We just went with the $19.95 per month plan as we never know when we will be away. Only ever give a quick text to my daughter when we are remote.
AnswerID: 618461

Sponsored Links