100 series petrol fuel tank collapse

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 24, 2018 at 21:03
ThreadID: 136609 Views:3791 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
First time to the forum.
I recently had an issue with my 105 petrolcruiser breaking down. Lost all power but got it started on the reserve tank. Mechanic pulled out the fuel pump and it was bent in the tank. He thought I’d hit a rock and pushed the tank up but it ended up being the tank collapsed from a vacuum.cap was replaced but the issue thanks to google was a blocked inlet hose to the charcoal box.so it’s worth blowing some air though those hoses and checking for mud etc. cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2018 at 21:15

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2018 at 21:15
Old Valiants did the same. No emission control for vapour much at all and the tank breather was low down near rear axle. Drive on a clay road and the breather became blocked.
Tank volume decreased by at least 2/3 to only a very small amount. They were close to reading Full and Empty at the same time because it was a big wide flat tank and the bottom and top kissed each other.
AnswerID: 618518

Reply By: Member - Rob S (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2018 at 17:59

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2018 at 17:59
Hi , you can find the fuel tank breather line on the charcoal canister, and blow through it to check if it is blocked,i would doubt there would be mud in the line as it is filtered, but could be a squashed line etc.

I think it will be more than likely the ball valves in the charcoal canister, rusted up,not uncommon, or the VCV (vacuum control valve) on the inlet manifold.
The whole system will need to be checked, a Gregory's work shop manual has the test/check procedure,well my 80 series manual dose.

Basically the charcoal canister stores fuel vapour,from the fuel tank and when the engine is started and running temp the VCV valve opens and the stored fumes are drawn into the engine.
Landcrusier charcoal canisters arn't cheap, a simple fix is to block the vacuum lines on the manifold, remove the breather line to tank from the charcoal canister,
and put a small inline fuel filter from a lawn mower or similar on the line and a length of fuel line and vent it down under the car.

**Note the charcoal canister is part of the emissions system so.may affect your road worthy, if any one ever dose look??
Unless you do the modification so it looks like it is still operational.
not unlike the many EGR deletes done on diesel engines!!!

canister-replace-or-remove

Rob

I only ever made one mistake
and that's when I thought I was wrong!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 618527

Follow Up By: Martian67 - Thursday, Apr 26, 2018 at 06:43

Thursday, Apr 26, 2018 at 06:43
There’s a hose that runs out the bottom of the canister down into the chasis. That was blocked with mud.
FollowupID: 890545

Reply By: Nutta - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2018 at 19:28

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2018 at 19:28
mud wasps, bloody nuisance!
AnswerID: 618528

Sponsored Links