Cape Leveque or Mitchell Falls

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 26, 2018 at 14:16
ThreadID: 136613 Views:3355 Replies:9 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
We are heading off to do the Kimberley in 6wks, had on the plans to do the trek up to Mitchell Falls however have been reading alot about how bad the road actually is. So it got me thinking as we had decided to do Mitchell falls over Cape Leveque (time limited) now am after recommendations what would do you if you could only do one Cape Leveque or Mitchell Falls?

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Apr 26, 2018 at 14:49

Thursday, Apr 26, 2018 at 14:49
G'day Litlbait, if you still intend to do the GRR then give the Falls a miss and do CL. You still get a length of lousy road but at least it;s soon over with and if coming from the east after the GRR & you take the short cut from Bedunburra across to the Dampier Peninsula Cape Leveque Rd you'll dodge all the horrible bit anyway & it's 100km shorter.

Many options on the peninsula and whereas the falls can comfortably be done in and out in 2 days the peninsula is ideally suited for a much longer stay as there is plenty to see, the fishing can be excellent, and the scenery is spectacular.

I did both on my last trip last year and in hindsight I could have spent longer up at the DP and skipped the falls completely.

Cheers and enjoy

Dunc.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 618539

Reply By: ian.g - Thursday, Apr 26, 2018 at 15:17

Thursday, Apr 26, 2018 at 15:17
They are both worthy of a visit, however if you can only do one I would go to Cape Leveque, absolutely spectacular scenery but minimum of three days needed to get a good feel for the place.
AnswerID: 618540

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Apr 26, 2018 at 16:45

Thursday, Apr 26, 2018 at 16:45
Agree with above choice of CL over MF - due to its uniqueness. You won't ever see another place quite like it. I've been there a couple of times now, and it still ranks in my top few places in Australia to see.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 618542

Reply By: Kenell - Thursday, Apr 26, 2018 at 20:01

Thursday, Apr 26, 2018 at 20:01
Cost may be a determining factor but you can take a fixed wing flight from Drysdale River Station that takes in the Mitchell Plateau and a lot more. I concur with others that CL is the better choice when road conditions are considered. Nevertheless the Mitchell Plateau is stunning and if it is a once in a lifetime opportunity the cost may be considered worthwhile.
Ask at Drysdale when you get there and they will be able to give you accurate details of the road conditions in MF.
Safe travels and enjoy this beautiful part of the world.

Ken
AnswerID: 618545

Reply By: AlanTH - Friday, Apr 27, 2018 at 09:28

Friday, Apr 27, 2018 at 09:28
If you can, drive to CL but then take a flight from Drysdale River over the falls. No rough road, better view of the whole area and no constant chopper noise and dust while on the ground. One on the ground near the campsite, one in the air and the other at the falls dropping off/picking up.
That's my plan for the upcoming season as when last at Mitchell F. my legs were bad and I couldn't walk it anyway and at 100 bucks for the 6min flight I thought the longer one from the station was worth saving for.
AlanH.
AnswerID: 618549

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Apr 27, 2018 at 10:20

Friday, Apr 27, 2018 at 10:20
I will buck the trend..... :)
If it was one or the other, I would choose the Mitchell Falls. It is not just the falls themselves that you visit, but the Mitchell Plateau which gives a vastly different perspective of the Kimberley from anything else you would have seen and a chance to see some of the astounding art.

As a compromise for CL, drive just 25km off the bitumen to James Price Point north of Broome. And that is free camping..... :)

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 618553

Reply By: Robin Miller - Friday, Apr 27, 2018 at 11:50

Friday, Apr 27, 2018 at 11:50
After doing both last year I'd do Mitchell first - however I'd have to say that the best part of doing the Kimberly was riding in a V8 supercar in Darwin.

You can see that there are various views here so its better to know what the attractions are and then decide based on your own values.

I was disappointed with the upper Cape Leveque ,crowded and with little 4wding however more places to go out for dinner and do commercial tours
Worth noting that first 100 odd km is dirt/dusty and then road to top turns to bitumen. (Not into fishing - but for some this is an attraction.)

Mitchells was good because you could leave campers etc at Drysdale (no cost)and drive up to Mitchells (staying overnight).
We found road wasn't to bad but had lots of corrugations which mostly affected those who drove to fast or were half hearted in dropping pressures.
No water crossings were deeper than top of wheels also.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 618556

Follow Up By: Member - Penski - Friday, Apr 27, 2018 at 12:35

Friday, Apr 27, 2018 at 12:35
We will be visiting both in July. It seems Drysdale is getting a lot of mentions here for the stopover. We were planning to stay at King Edward River Camp but perhaps Drysdale is the better option? We will take lightweight gear to overnight at Mitchell Falls.
FollowupID: 890574

Follow Up By: Member - Mark C (QLD) - Friday, Apr 27, 2018 at 17:43

Friday, Apr 27, 2018 at 17:43
Definitely king Edward river stay. Great campsite beside the beautiful croc free waterhole and the best rock art close by. The 70 odd kms to MF will take a couple of hours but you can do the walk and helicopter flight and return in the one day.
Mark And Helen QLD
Living the Dream

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 890577

Follow Up By: Member - Wildmax - Friday, Apr 27, 2018 at 21:17

Friday, Apr 27, 2018 at 21:17
x2 for King Edward River - fantastic place to stay for a couple of days. Drysdale is worth a visit too, but KE camp ground has fantastic swimming hole and there is some fascinating aboriginal art nearby.
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 890580

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Apr 28, 2018 at 21:17

Saturday, Apr 28, 2018 at 21:17
It took us something like three hours to travel the 100 kilometres from Drysdale River Station to the Mitchell Plateau Road. We left our caravan at the delightful King Edward River camp, and stayed four days, including one day trip to Mitchell Falls not towing. We planned to stay at the falls car park camping area overnight but had enough daylight to get home to the river camp and another nice swim. If going to Surveyors Pool, you would need to stay up there overnight.

The KE River campground was so nice, that we spent another night there on the way back from Kalumburu, as well as another night at Drysdale on the way back to the Gibb River Road.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 890603

Reply By: Member - Robert1660 - Friday, Apr 27, 2018 at 12:39

Friday, Apr 27, 2018 at 12:39
We did both Mitchell Falls and Cap Leveque back in 2013. Again I will go against the trend and recommend MF as a slight preference. The road is in was very corrugated but the key to NOT damaging your car and campertrailer is to lower the tyre pressures and reduce your speed. Many people decide that doing 100km/h with normal road pressures is the way to fly over the corrugations. Not so! They end up with damaged vehicles. We took our Tvan and camped in the generator area. We then took the helicopter flight out, about 20 minutes, and then took all day to walk and swim back.
We stayed at Kooljaman at Cape Leveque at the beginning of September. You do need to book well ahaed. Fabulous place right on the tip. We did not have time to check out any of the other camping sites mentioned here.
The road to the Cape was about 100km of dirt and then once you reach the indigenous area it is very good bitumen. Excellent Telstra phone coverage as well.
If you have the chance do both but remember those tyre pressures. They really do make a difference.
Robert
Landcruiser 200 VX Diesel + 19ft Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 618558

Reply By: CSeaJay - Friday, Apr 27, 2018 at 13:10

Friday, Apr 27, 2018 at 13:10
We also did both. Not an easy answer because they are both special but totally different experiences, nothing to compare!
Or you can skip both and spend a night at the Horizontal Falls. Sorry for the flippent remark, but just illustrating the fact that these two are hard to compare and it depends on your personal choices.

If you want to experience a slightly different facet of the Kimberley, and happy to walk approx 2 hours in, by all means to the Mitchell; especially if you do not plan to go that way in a while.

Or if you have in mind a compete change in scenery, want to see sunrises and sunsets and do a spot of beach fishing then go CL.

Also bear in mind you can easily do CL from Broome if you plan to visit Broome in the short future, not so easy to 'hop up" to Mitchell.

Personal and depending on your circumstances.
AnswerID: 618559

Sponsored Links