Tanami road conditions April 2018

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 28, 2018 at 21:08
ThreadID: 136622 Views:5068 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all - has anyone travelled from Alice to Halls Creek on the Tanami lately?

We are weighing options to get to the Kimberley from Alice Springs next week and heard some horror stories.

Just looking for recent experience to help guide the decision making!

We have a 100 series cruiser, no trailer.

Thanks in advance

Paul
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Apr 28, 2018 at 21:25

Saturday, Apr 28, 2018 at 21:25
Hi Paul

Conditions on the Tanami do not change a lot, with the big difference if it is wet, and if that is the case, keep away.

Do not believe all the horror stories that you have heard, as those that make those claims are not really experienced outback travellersand know how to drive to the conditions.

The key to a comfortable drive on the Tanami is not to rush it make sure you reduce your tyre pressures.

Have a great trip.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 618590

Reply By: Member - JOHN C16 - Saturday, Apr 28, 2018 at 23:30

Saturday, Apr 28, 2018 at 23:30
Hi Paul,

I drove the Tanami Road from Billiluna to Alice Springs about two weeks ago. The road was moderately corrugated in some sections but generally in pretty good condition. On the 13th April 2018 I passed a convoy of four road graders near Yuendumu. They had just commenced grading the road from the Alice Springs end. Presuming they continued grading West then the road condition should now be as good as it ever gets.

Enjoy the trip.

Cheers,
John
AnswerID: 618592

Reply By: Crusier 91 - Wednesday, May 02, 2018 at 21:24

Wednesday, May 02, 2018 at 21:24
Just completed the Tanami in the 100 series TD towing a 1300kg Tvan.
One spot light came loose and lost passenger headlight globe.
From east to west, as usual track good till the WA/NT border. WA side is hell raising until the last 50km. Road is now being graded.
I've finally done the track and I now have a new appreciation for bitchumen.
Halls Creek $1.53 Diesel. Do not stay in Halls Creek, youll know why when you get there. 100 km from HC head back towards Derby is a place great place called Marys Pool.........its free camping
Went through 120L from Tillmouth to Halls Creek.
Overnight stop at Mt Doreen's Ruin, approx 1.5km off the track. Make sure you go past the nissan hut to the actual ruin.
2nd overnighter at border .5km in from track.
Wolf Creek is badly corrugated via main entrance, via side entrance is ok until you hit the main track plus you need to go through half a dozen gates.
Mind you I also came up the Oodnadatta Track a few days b4, A breeze compared to the WA Tanami
PS...........watch out for glass beer bottles on the WA side track, there's a few
Cheers
AnswerID: 618645

Follow Up By: Member - psroberts - Wednesday, May 02, 2018 at 21:48

Wednesday, May 02, 2018 at 21:48
Thanks heaps - great detail.
Fuel is about $1.56 here in Alice FWIW
We will consult the maps tomorrow!
Regards , Paul & Sandy
FollowupID: 890684

Sponsored Links