Android Auto

Submitted: Monday, Apr 30, 2018 at 12:09
ThreadID: 136632 Views:5047 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi. Hope someone can help and this is not already answered. I have a new GLS Pajero that uses smartphone connectivity and maps on android device to display on the console touchscreen. Is the ozexplore offroad map app going to run with Android Auto as needed to couple to the vehicle display unit? Any members using it this way?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Apr 30, 2018 at 13:07

Monday, Apr 30, 2018 at 13:07
Android Auto is an app produced by Google - so you are locked into Google maps.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 618617

Follow Up By: Genny - Monday, Apr 30, 2018 at 13:11

Monday, Apr 30, 2018 at 13:11
or Waze, which is also a Google product. I have flirted with both, and find them lacking.
FollowupID: 890644

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Apr 30, 2018 at 13:26

Monday, Apr 30, 2018 at 13:26
Keep in mind that we specifically developed our app ExplorOz Traveller to run our maps EOTopo offline. There are a few clever settings to help you such as "Stay Awake" which when viewing the map screen (only if on the map screen) will override your device's screen time out setting for your convenience when driving and needing to see the map. All other screens will auto time out for battery saving. Obviously when driving in moving map mode you are using the GPS to display current position so with the screen on, and GPS running it will use more battery power than usual but it is does not use internet if you have it turned off, or if you disable data.

Another good setting is that if you have a device with a sim, you can keep the mobile data setting on and let the app detect when you have/haven't got service. In this mode, if you are viewing online maps and then lose service the app will automatically switch to show the offline map at your position. Note that when you have service you can view EOTopo maps for whole of Australia at 18K detail (level 16 zoom) and when you switch to offline the max zoom is level 14 (which is 144K detail) if you have the Premium maps loaded.

When online the map also gives you access to Streets & Paths which is very similar to Google maps but different... Also you have access to Satellite maps.

When online there are a few background processes that are good to let run - eg. auto sync your tracking, place comments, etc.So this is a good option to use if you are moving around in the cities, towns and regional areas or out on the open highways.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 618618

Reply By: Maccaman194 - Tuesday, May 01, 2018 at 06:24

Tuesday, May 01, 2018 at 06:24
Thank you for those detailed replies. So what type of display device and ExploreOz maps are most people using in their vehicle for traversing remote outback areas eg Simpson Desert, Hay River and Canning? Android or IOs Tablets? I can do that - just would be nice to avoid another large piece of hardware in the cabin if I could have run offroad and topo maps on a phone and connect to the vehicle display as the on road maps do.
AnswerID: 618624

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, May 01, 2018 at 16:49

Tuesday, May 01, 2018 at 16:49
Yes from what I'm hearing, most people have transitioned to Android tablets and iPads although many use phones too - often both. Remember if you already own an Android phone and have the ExplorOz Traveller app on this - then you can download the app for free again to any other Android device you own - through your Playstore account validating your previous purchase. You also don't need to buy the maps again - your ExplorOz login allows you to download the maps via the app to all your devices for the once-only payment.

I hear most people have a passenger using the ExplorOz Traveller app on their lap on say an iPad to look at nearby features and do research as they go along for places to stop, find the next camp etc, whilst the driver uses a standard phone or tablet bracket to view the road they are travelling along. If both devices are on the same platform (eg. Android) and you use the same ExplorOz login account, you can also sync your data between the two - eg. private treks, private places. So trip planning done on one and be synced to the other just before you go (syncing requires an online connection).
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 890668

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, May 01, 2018 at 18:36

Tuesday, May 01, 2018 at 18:36
I've been using Hema 4WD maps on an iPad(wifi/3G), Macca, for a number of years. Suits me, and I usually log my track on any track I've not used before. Also log any camp sites, or good Camps/interesting sites, for another time. Works without internet or phone service.

As well as the ExplorOz products, there's also Hema Explorer & Mud Maps.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 890670

Reply By: Maccaman194 - Tuesday, May 01, 2018 at 19:42

Tuesday, May 01, 2018 at 19:42
Thank you Michelle, Gemma and Bob.
Looks like the Traveller App will be great and I'll download that and see how it goes. Thanks again for your help
AnswerID: 618633

Sponsored Links