Trailer Airbag Question

Submitted: Thursday, May 03, 2018 at 11:22
ThreadID: 136641 Views:2207 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All, I've recently bought a camper trailer with independent airbag suspension. As a complete newbie to airbags of any sort, just a couple of questions if I may.

Is there any maintenance required on the airbags themselves.

Is there a maximum pressure that can be applied to them.

Thanks and regards,

Greg..
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Keith B2 - Thursday, May 03, 2018 at 13:29

Thursday, May 03, 2018 at 13:29
I am a great fan of air bags. I'd check with the manufacturer on the maximum pressure. As far as I am aware, there is no special maintenance other than to keep them free of debris. I may stand corrected on this, but I think they need shockers with a decent rebound rating.
They are great for leveling up the trailer from side to side.
Good luck with them.
Keith
AnswerID: 618653

Reply By: RMD - Thursday, May 03, 2018 at 13:31

Thursday, May 03, 2018 at 13:31
Greg
With regard to pressure, all that is required is to have the wheels sit vertical when under the load you are carrying. With less load the pressure required would be less and more if greater load.
I would not think you would EVER get to anywhere near the maximum pressure of the bag, unless it was undersize for the task. Witht he bags in it maximum pressure would see it lift way upward and have severe positive camber on the wheels. Ride height would be very high.
I had a Tvan with springs and placed a packing ring of of conveyor belt material under RHS spring to cater for the battery I located to the rear of RH wheel.
The bag ability to alter the ride height is great and to match the load or lean of bodywork is an advantage.

Depending on the bag type, it is probably best to make sure no stones or rubbish is near the convolutes of the bags so it isn't chafed or punctured. Keep them clean.

In slippery stuff or loose gravel it may be an advantage to lower the pressure slightly so the wheels camber inward at the top a small amount which will keep tread grip on surface to a maximum, ie slower speeds anyway at that time. The Tvan will squat and be more stable, not that is really a problem with them.
AnswerID: 618654

Reply By: mountainman - Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 08:40

Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 08:40
If only they could be put on a womans chest and adjust to suit...
The mood.
He he
AnswerID: 618779

Sponsored Links