Eastern End of WAA Line towards K1

Submitted: Thursday, May 03, 2018 at 16:30
ThreadID: 136642 Views:2567 Replies:2 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
In a couple of weeks hoping to travel the WAA Line between Poolowanna Oil Well and the K1 Line. I was last there in 2006 and near the K1 the caps of the dunes had sandblows that would preftty much stop anyone travelling from west to east.

Anyone travelled that section in the past 12 months or better still just recently and how was it?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, May 03, 2018 at 20:18

Thursday, May 03, 2018 at 20:18
Phil,

In July '17, while on Rig Road, we met a group of 6 vehicles, 2 towing campers, heading towards Warburton Crossing, after doing the WAA Line. They said they'd "had some trouble on a couple of dunes", but seemed in pretty high spirits. Perhaps the spirits were easily ingested?

In June '16, we headed south on Knoll's Track, and planned to do all the WAA Line, but were stopped by a large body of water only 2-3kms from Knoll's Track. Retreated to the Rig Road, then north on Erabena to WAA and did the western section. One vehicle had multiple attempts on one large dune, but otherwise was an uneventful journey across to the Rig Road.

WAA Line doesn't seem to get much traffic, much like the Rig Road?

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 618657

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, May 04, 2018 at 23:07

Friday, May 04, 2018 at 23:07
Gday Bob,

Doesn't seem like anyone goes along that section much. I think a lot of people think the Rig Rd stops at Knolls Track. We phoned the people in the Desert Parks office and nobody had any recent info.
I'm guessing we'll just do it from the west and see how we go.
Its one of those tracks I haven't highlighted on the wall chart yet!

Hope you have some good trips this year.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 890737

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, May 05, 2018 at 07:23

Saturday, May 05, 2018 at 07:23
Did meet a group of bikies in 2016, Phil, that were heading E-W on WAA Line. Each year they'd make a video to sell in aid of RFDS, don't recall their tag?

I enjoy the Rig Road, good surface and peaceful!

Going on a 6 week trip shortly with 4 others, Nullarbor, WA deserts, Newman & back through the Alice, then probably need another Simpson fix in August..........if the money hasn't evaporated.

Enjoy the WAA.

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 890740

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, May 05, 2018 at 09:08

Saturday, May 05, 2018 at 09:08
Just realised I got the title wrong - should have been eastern end of Rig Road, and not WAA Line. What a brain fade!! Oh Well.
FollowupID: 890742

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, May 05, 2018 at 10:15

Saturday, May 05, 2018 at 10:15
Ha ha, thought there was an error there, Phil.

Back in mid 2015, they graded the Rig to Poolawanna, from Warburton Crossing, and when we travelled that way in late Oct, '15, it was an easy 2 days from the Warburton to 3 O'Clock Ck, west of Dalhousie. They drilled a new artesian Bore at Poolawanna. Have travelled Rig twice since, and it's still good travelling.

Came down K1 last July for first time and it's a good drive too.

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 890746

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, May 05, 2018 at 12:50

Saturday, May 05, 2018 at 12:50
That's fantastic info Bob. Just what I needed to know.
Warburton Crossing has just been closed by water, so we'll be heading up to Poeppels and out the usual way.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 890753

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, May 05, 2018 at 14:02

Saturday, May 05, 2018 at 14:02
From what I can recall, Phil, there's some good camps along the northern section of K1. Certainly some good stands of gidgea along there............ :-)

Enjoy,
Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 890754

Reply By: Member - JOHN C16 - Wednesday, May 09, 2018 at 12:21

Wednesday, May 09, 2018 at 12:21
Hi Phil,

I drove that route from east to west in June 2017. The track was in good condition and crossing the dunes was easy. The drive from Poeppel Corner down the K1 and across the Rig Road to the Knolls Track was pleasant, scenic and deserted. I did not see another vehicle. As Bob said there are some there are some good campsites at the northern end of the K1. I am about to drive that way again in a few days time so I can update the track conditions when I next have reception-probably in 2 weeks time.

I am currently in Birdsville. I drove across Madigans Line (good condition) to camp15, up the HayRiver Track to Lake Caroline ( excellent condition), back down Hay River to camp 16, Madigans Line across Adria Downs (good condition), then east on the QAA to Birdsville today. The dunes on the QAA are already badly scalloped and a misery to drive. The Eyre Creek crossing on the QAA was dry.

A suggestion for an experienced desert driver like you Phil. From Poeppel Corner consider driving up the Hay RiverTrack to Madigan camp 16 then follow Madigans Line across Adria Downs to the QAA. Some of the dunes between Madigan camps 16 and 18 are bigger than those on the QAA but are in better condition. I am about to head west that way later today.

Cheers,
John

AnswerID: 618754

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, May 09, 2018 at 14:51

Wednesday, May 09, 2018 at 14:51
Great Information John. Left this morning from Adelaide but taking our time getting to the desert. Probably be on the rig rd this time next week. Done the section of the Madigan from camp16 east past Mudloo well twice before - Its great country and love the drive from Annadale down Eyre creek. But this is a trip organised by some mates all of whom haven't been back out there for 10 years and its 6 years since I was last in the Simpson myself. Weathers looking good
FollowupID: 890856

Sponsored Links