Quick release antenna - Prevent theft

Submitted: Friday, May 04, 2018 at 20:40
ThreadID: 136649 Views:5994 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys,

Looking at the RFI CDQ5000 or the GME4705. I like the option of easily swapping out the whips for the 2db whips but I am a bit paranoid that it will be stolen easily. I realise I could take it off and store it but seems a bit of a hassle everytime I have to leave the vehicle for a bit.
I looked at the GME today and there is a grub screw in the base to prevent it being taken off too easily.
Does the RFI have a similar screw as I am leaning toward them instead?
Anyone who owns these models what are you doing to prevent theft?

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, May 04, 2018 at 22:42

Friday, May 04, 2018 at 22:42
Has anyone heard of theft of the whips for these types of antennas? I have never had my whips stolen and have not heard of anyone elses whips being stolen.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 618683

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, May 05, 2018 at 00:24

Saturday, May 05, 2018 at 00:24
Mount a 2db stubbie on the roof - works well, good transmission and nobody steals it. If you are worried about the height, fit it to a knock down bracket.
AnswerID: 618684

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Saturday, May 05, 2018 at 05:28

Saturday, May 05, 2018 at 05:28
I wouldn't concern yourself with having it stolen at all. Cause lightening can strike but the chances are very small.

Over more K's than I care to remember I have never had one stolen. Now on the other hand many have broken.

I have had 2 pairs of spotlights on trucks removed by Captain Lightfingers but none on my own vehicles.
AnswerID: 618685

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, May 05, 2018 at 07:10

Saturday, May 05, 2018 at 07:10
After using the GME products, 4705 & 4704(?), for a couple of years, I would have been happy for someone to steal them!

While they are a well made product, and a versatile one too, I found that the bigger whips used to "detune" and the only remedy was to purchase a new whip. We were living in a remote area at the time, so perhaps the whips didn't like the road conditions? They may have improved them in latter years.

No experience with that RFI model either.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 618686

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, May 05, 2018 at 09:04

Saturday, May 05, 2018 at 09:04
I have always used an RFI 6db 900mm ss antenna mounted on the side mudguard gap and it has served me well. As long as the top of the antenna is above the roof line reception will be fine.
The 6db gives a good compromise between hilly reception and open flat area reception.
A mate of mine has a Bull Bar mounted GME fibreglass "wank Pole" and he doesn't get any better range reception than me.
The only bracket I have on my Bull Bar is for mounting a three stage safety flag on the rare occasions I need it. The flagpole/bracket has a quick detachable coupling and the pole is in three sections for height adjustment and compact storage/carrying.
AnswerID: 618687

Follow Up By: mountainman - Saturday, May 05, 2018 at 23:36

Saturday, May 05, 2018 at 23:36
I have a RFI antenna setup
It has a short stubby thing about 30mm high.
And the aerial is possibly same length as you mention but the top is at my eye level and could take a eye out.
But they do cover the tip with a rubber thing.

No idea if its better or worse than a more visible aerial " tosser " setup

I have snapped the aerial from cape york corrugated roads or maybe it vibrated loose.
Long story short
I replaced the aerial with same setup as i had
But moved the aerial mount inwards about a 100mm soo branches dont hit it soo much.
Maybe even a couple hundred mm.
Pressed up some mounts and welded then on.
Looks identical to factory
Cheers
FollowupID: 890760

Reply By: Malcom M - Monday, May 07, 2018 at 12:46

Monday, May 07, 2018 at 12:46
I have a couple of GME's.
Forget the grub screw as you have to tighten it quite a lot before you can't unscrew the antenna and its only an aluminium housing.
I got sick of looking for an Allen key every time I wanted to drop the antennas so fitted machine screws instead.
Got sick of that also so just screw the antenna on tight and remove them both when not needed.
Haven't had a stick fall off yet.
If you have decided that you don't need to swap out antennas for differing conditions and can't be bothered to remove them then just thread lock them in place.
AnswerID: 618725

Sponsored Links