CSR

Submitted: Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 10:11
ThreadID: 136653 Views:3017 Replies:1 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Were planning a trip on the CSR next year with a family of 5 in our isuzu mux.
Has anyone got any recommendations regarding packing and fwd upgrades/changes for the car so we can start to organise ourselves? (without a camper trailer space will be VERY tight so that's what were most concerned with) We have plenty of touring through remote Australia experience... just not with kids!
Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 11:45

Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 11:45
Hi Louise, I also have an MUX and my main concern would be the small fuel tank. I know you can get the 112L replacement LRT fitted and that the MUX is pretty economical on road but you need to factor in the effect of soft sand, dunes, corrugations, an over-loaded vehicle and low tyre pressures etc, so allow at least a 30-40% redundancy on your fuel. So you'll need to carry a few jerry cans on the roof which isn't ideal.

Apart from the long range fuel tank, you'll need a suspension upgrade, and with the MUX this may also mean a diff drop kit as well. I could be telling you to suck eggs given that you say you have plenty of remote touring experience?

Enjoy the trip.

Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 618700

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 13:18

Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 13:18
You don't "need" a suspension upgrade. We did the top section with a Dmax with standard suspension towing a trailer. Suspension and clearance was never an issue.
FollowupID: 890768

Follow Up By: DingBlue - Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 15:12

Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 15:12
Ivan,
is it possible that towing a trailer may have helped a bit with the weight reduction in the vehicle? Most equipment etc. can be carried in the trailer with possibly only a 200 kg weight on the ball.
Louise is carrying 5 people plus all the gear in her vehicle so will probably be a fairly hefty load on the suspension.
From my experience and that of others on the CSR, shock absorbers seem to bear the brunt of the damage.
I've installed HD springs in the rear and fitted foam cell shocks all round and , touch wood, have had no problems to date (105 Landcruiser.)
I'd be interested in hearing your opinion.
Regards,
FollowupID: 890770

Follow Up By: maurice b - Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 16:58

Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 16:58
Two totally different vehicles @Ivan The Terrible , yours is a commercial rear leaf work truck and the MUX is a soft offroader rated to carry much less, so a suspension upgrade would be advisable.
FollowupID: 890772

Follow Up By: Greg J1 - Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 17:42

Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 17:42
Hi Maurice. I too have been down the canning on stock suspension towing a camper trailer. But it certainly wasn’t my choice. A matter of circumstance when my son had an accident in my regular vehicle and I had no choice but take a brand new 79 series.

I totally agree with your sentiments and go one further. A family of 5 in a mux doing the canning. How the hell are they going to take enough food fuel camping gear let alone a second spare to do this.

Just hope they have enough room for a plb and sat phone.

Overloading the vehicle is THE last thing you want to do out there

Cheers Greg
FollowupID: 890773

Follow Up By: Louise S6 - Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 19:25

Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 19:25
Thanks all for your thoughts. We would be getting a suspension upgrade anyway and lift? trailer would be great but not so practical but then you run into storage issues? A small but heavy duty 4x4 camper might do it? We would need a long range fuel tank and prob a water tank too! Maybe the kids will have to only eat once a day and wear two sets of clothes for 6 weeks!! As far as I read from reviews and reports the mux should be able to cut it with the rest of the main fwd’s. More clearance or the same as others ( land cruiser etc) better towing capacity...
FollowupID: 890780

Follow Up By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 20:46

Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 20:46
Louise the MUX is more than capable but as you point out the storage capacity with the back seats up is going to be a real challenge. Removing the 3rd row seats will also increase your stowage capacity. Water can be stored in the foot wells.
Use a roof rack to store your light weight sleeping gear and clothing. In the rear your fridge, food and heavy gear.

Hope you manage to fit every thing fit?

Cheers

Dunc
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 890782

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 21:47

Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 21:47
And from someone who's done it, don't go alone> We had our ute just under max weight and a trailer to carry extra fuel but running solo made it that much more difficult. Was a great adventure for me and the family though but you would do well think hard and weigh up the pro's and cons of going solo in a short wheelbase wagon.
FollowupID: 890784

Follow Up By: Member - shane r1 - Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 23:16

Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 23:16
Might have to have gear like my wife and I use when motorcycle travelling. We did 10 weeks on one bike in USA and Canada, camped 50% of the time. Using small exped mattress’s ,small tent , cooking on 1 trangia. Carrying minimal clothes.
That keeps the amount of space and weight down.
FollowupID: 890786

Follow Up By: Louise S6 - Monday, May 07, 2018 at 08:02

Monday, May 07, 2018 at 08:02
Definitely not travelling alone!!
FollowupID: 890789

Follow Up By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Monday, May 07, 2018 at 10:52

Monday, May 07, 2018 at 10:52
Louise have you spoken to your travel companions to see if you can share their heavy equipment, like camp ovens, sharing recovery equipment, etc. Also if they are large capacity vehicles they may also have the capacity to carry some spare fuel for you as well.

If you have a cargo barrier fitted then you can also hang storage devices of it for all the kids clobber. If you kids are young then the foot well is an ideal storage space.

The MUX has 2 large armrests and drink holders for the 3rd row seats maybe look at removing the cover and use the space in them to store small stuff.

cheers

dunc
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 890795

Follow Up By: Louise S6 - Monday, May 07, 2018 at 11:58

Monday, May 07, 2018 at 11:58
Cheers
I think that's what we will have to do. Take out as much from the car not needed to make extra room! Companions so far unsure of as yet, although probably a couple which will help to offload extra items.
Thanks
FollowupID: 890797

Follow Up By: Member - Scruffy - Monday, May 07, 2018 at 12:53

Monday, May 07, 2018 at 12:53
Just a thought....I found with a lift (2") the standard bottle jack would have taken considerable chocking to be effective. Luckily I had a hi lift jack and jacking points which I used on 2 occasions. Unfortunately, a lot more weight and storage space.

Cheers
Scruffy
FollowupID: 890800

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, May 07, 2018 at 13:43

Monday, May 07, 2018 at 13:43
Scruffy
With a 2" lift the axles are still the same distance from the ground and the front control arm is a little more angle but well within reach of the bottle jack. Even then a couple of pieces of stout plywood will pack it up if required.

If changing wheels is needed, jacking the chassis isn't much use.
FollowupID: 890802

Follow Up By: Member - Scruffy - Monday, May 07, 2018 at 15:32

Monday, May 07, 2018 at 15:32
Thanks for your comment RMD and obviously I'm not from an engineering background but the front jack points on my Prado are, in factory terms, the chassis.

Cheers
FollowupID: 890804

Sponsored Links