Towing a camper trailer with Pajero Sport

Submitted: Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 21:16
ThreadID: 136680 Views:5364 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hey all your 4WD experts.....
we have recently purchased a soft top camper that is relatively large. Tare weight of 1320 and ATM of 2000. we are looking to buy a 4WD that we can use to tow the camper a bit more effectively than our Kia Sorrento. The Kia has a max tow capacity of 2000kg so we are right on the limit.

we have been looking at the Pajero and also the Pajero Sport, amongst the other regular options of Prado, MUX, etc.

we have test driven the Pajero and the Pajero Sport and felt that the Pajero Sport didn't have the same power as the Pajero, even though the engine power is similar in the vehicle specs.

does anyone out there have experience towing a large camper of small caravan with a Pajero Sport who would be willing to share their experience. Good/Bad/Otherwise???

Any other recommendations would be welcome.

thanks Brainstrust.

M
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 21:49

Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 21:49
MM
Go to the Pajero Forum, you will be drowned in responses, there are people who have owned both. Do a search and you will find numerous Threads asking a similar question

https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/

AnswerID: 618791

Reply By: Member - Penski - Friday, May 11, 2018 at 08:25

Friday, May 11, 2018 at 08:25
That’ a heavy camper! I can’t give any feedback about the Sport beyond what’s already available elsewhere however I have towed our almost as heavy camper with a Pajero through some challenging parts of Australia with no issues. I have a 13000k trip planned from July. The 3.2 litre engine is well proven and pulls strongly for overtaking and long hills. The Pajero Sport is a smaller engine and a little less powerful on paper although the Sport is also lighter. As above the Pajero forum is a valuable source of info and the folks on there don’t hold back if there is something they’re not happy with.
AnswerID: 618800

Reply By: Gbc.. - Friday, May 11, 2018 at 10:31

Friday, May 11, 2018 at 10:31
This review has it towing about 1750 k.g. which should be right around what you propose to tow. It was in my feed last week.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/590310/2017-mitsubishi-pajero-sport-gls-towing-review/
AnswerID: 618805

Reply By: KevinE - Friday, May 11, 2018 at 22:41

Friday, May 11, 2018 at 22:41
They are chalk & cheese!

The Pajero is a full sized wagon with a monocoque chassis & independent suspension all round.

The Sport is a small wagon built on a Triton full chassis.

The ride is MASSIVELY different, as is how they compare as tow vehicles.

The Pajero tows the weights that you mention with ease & it is very comfortable.

The Sport will tow the weight, but not as easily. It won't be anywhere near as comfortable.

Tyre wear will be better on the Sport when towing.

The Sport will also handle corrugations better.

Your choice! ;)

AnswerID: 618826

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 07:08

Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 07:08
I,ve a 2014 NW Pajero. Love this car. Most of its life is spent towing a 16-1800kg camper/rooftop boat. Sport would not even be on my list to look at for towing. I average bout 13-14litres per 100klm on trips. Prefer to sit on 100kph . Sometimes 95-sometimes 105. GPS speed too! 3.5 years old and modded out (like most 4wds). You will need to do the suspension, add an Ultragauge, a few other mods and you will have a vehicle that will keep up with the toyotas/nissans when off road and apart from being super reliable it is relatively cheap to run. Drives nicely and good in the suburbs. Good looking, proven vehicle . Rear of the sport looks like a pg wearing lipstick....ugly as!
AnswerID: 618851

Sponsored Links