Road closures after Cyclone Debbie

Submitted: Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 10:55
ThreadID: 136694 Views:2369 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hello to all.
If anyone could direct me to the best website to check on road closures that still exist in Qld, following Cyclone Debbie, that would be great.
We are doing a trip from southern NSW to Cairns and just want to be forewarned on possible existing road closures if we can. We know that cyclone debbie did a great deal of damage and part of me says to see it and part says stay away.
Also someone suggested not to buy fuel in those flooded areas because of water contamination in the servo tanks.
Not sure which way to go at present. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Great site, many thanks for reading this post.

cheers,
Wayne (True Blue)

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OBJ - Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 11:41

Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 11:41
Hi Wayne.

The RACQ has a site for road closures which may help you, incl a small side bar that just lists the roads throughout Queensland. Try the link below.

RACQ Road Closures

AnswerID: 618857

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 15:51

Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 15:51
Cyclone Debbie was over 12 months ago. I doubt if there would be any roads closed as a result of it.

As far as not purchasing fuel up there, if there is any water still in the tanks it would only be in closed service stations so why the worry. At any rate the first few vehicles that got a drink of water from the tanks would have produced results that would now have them cleared. With the cost of compensation rebuilding vehicle fuel systems I reckon that the station owners would make sure of their tanks rather than suffer the compensation costs.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 618864

Reply By: Theo D - Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 20:36

Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 20:36
Hi Wayne

I also agree - I don't think any major roads or connection roads around where Cyclone Debbie struck would still be closed, possibly under some kind of repair but as someone has suggested the RACQ website is a good place to start.

I was part of the clean up & recovery effort at Eungella National Park for a few weeks after cyclone Debbie and there's a good chance some of the roads here may still be closed - but they would only be service roads for rangers etc. The sheer amount of tree's across roads and walking tracks in this area was phenomenal. It hardly got a mention through the news and reports but from my time down there & looking around it got his just as hard as Airlie Beach & Proserpine.

Regards
AnswerID: 618871

Reply By: True Blue - Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 20:39

Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 20:39
Thank you for your responses. A read a post the other day, I think on facebook, where someone mentioned that a certain main road was still closed for repairs following that cyclone, so I thought I would ask the question just in case. I will look up the RACQ site as suggested and check it out for road closures. Thanks again,
Wayne
AnswerID: 618872

Follow Up By: Genny - Monday, May 14, 2018 at 03:04

Monday, May 14, 2018 at 03:04
Sarina Range is still out, I think, but there are alternate routes. Coming from NSW, you are unlikely to be needing to travel that route.
FollowupID: 890992

Sponsored Links